The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

I'd say it's pretty similar in structure....just slightly different activities in the interview process - and even this is pretty similar.

Although, as I've mentioned before, there is no more phone interview stage as far as I know and the group assessment skill check (well, it's actually some form of psychological test :S) include other things too. I'll leave you to find out when you get there.

www.wowcareers.com.au

Apply there, you'll be invited to a group assessment if they like your online app, then you'll get a store interview, an offer and then induction/training.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC

Excalibur_ said:
I'd say it's pretty similar in structure....just slightly different activities in the interview process - and even this is pretty similar.

www.wowcareers.com.au

Apply there, you'll be invited to a group assessment if they like your online app, then you'll get a store interview, an offer and then induction/training.

Good luck!
haha yeah beats being a jobless fucker lol
thanks dude :)

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

Haha...I wouldn't on checkouts much though! I still have recurring dreams of serving customers at 3am, which I subsequently wake up from.

shariken

HSC
They can't discriminate you because they higher alot students either school or uni so they have to accept it. If not you could always tell the union and get the union to whinge at them :)

Hmm..Plumpton..Well at Big W one that I work at it is sometimes okay but we always seem to get the weirdest or rudest customers there. I'm still a bit pissed when I put my unavailability for my hsc exams six weeks before the exams I got called up the week before the exams and the beginning of the exam weeks to work. I would have understood if someone mixed up once but the same lady twice in a row called me up if I could work even though I told her my exams start soon..grr...

There are also seems to be cases of favouritism there at the store too because one of the girls I have befriended there has asked for about a year to get moved out of another area to checkouts and some other girl got put in the area she requested even though she hasn't been working as long...Oh and once I got asked to work in layby but I couldn't as I was going to tafe that day and when I told a manager that he was like 'oh..can't you miss it or something' and because I said no I was never asked since.

I got blamed once for letting someone steal something because apparently this customer came up to me with about 3 pots with 3 hidden fluffy detergents inside and I only scanned one of each. I apolgised, got warned that if it happens to many times I could lose my job and all that. But the day or two after that problem I actually remembered scanning one of each but I timsed the amount by 3...It was too late then.

Oh and at Blacktown Big W this manager that doesn't like my friend or some other people fired my friend without letting her know because she apparently did not work for 30 shifts she was put down on the roster for. But the thing was she put an unavaliability sheet in during that time because she was studying for hsc and the store lost it and to top it off she wasn't called when she missed the shifts.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

Excalibur_ said:
Well, it isn't for Safeway...which is why I mentioned it.

I remember being told explicitly that everyone is employed as a casual during probation, and people don't usually get given a contract until after it.
I got a contract straight away for permanent Part-time :confused:

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

I dunno...that's what I was told.

pete_mate

HSC
shariken said:
They can't discriminate you because they higher alot students either school or uni so they have to accept it. If not you could always tell the union and get the union to whinge at them :)

Hmm..Plumpton..Well at Big W one that I work at it is sometimes okay but we always seem to get the weirdest or rudest customers there. I'm still a bit pissed when I put my unavailability for my hsc exams six weeks before the exams I got called up the week before the exams and the beginning of the exam weeks to work. I would have understood if someone mixed up once but the same lady twice in a row called me up if I could work even though I told her my exams start soon..grr...

There are also seems to be cases of favouritism there at the store too because one of the girls I have befriended there has asked for about a year to get moved out of another area to checkouts and some other girl got put in the area she requested even though she hasn't been working as long...Oh and once I got asked to work in layby but I couldn't as I was going to tafe that day and when I told a manager that he was like 'oh..can't you miss it or something' and because I said no I was never asked since.

I got blamed once for letting someone steal something because apparently this customer came up to me with about 3 pots with 3 hidden fluffy detergents inside and I only scanned one of each. I apolgised, got warned that if it happens to many times I could lose my job and all that. But the day or two after that problem I actually remembered scanning one of each but I timsed the amount by 3...It was too late then.

Oh and at Blacktown Big W this manager that doesn't like my friend or some other people fired my friend without letting her know because she apparently did not work for 30 shifts she was put down on the roster for. But the thing was she put an unavaliability sheet in during that time because she was studying for hsc and the store lost it and to top it off she wasn't called when she missed the shifts.
i hope you didnt break to her demanding you to work a week before HSC exams, you'd have to be fucking nuts.

When i was at woolies, i have cancelled most of my shifts with a weeks notice before exams, and then during STUVAC i was running behind study so i just thought, fuckit, and cancelled one of my shifts the afternoon before.

Its such a shit job its not worth letting them push you around. Thats what they do with the employees they have that barely speak english.

Scanorama

HSC

Sarah168 said:
I got a contract straight away for permanent Part-time :confused:
Probably a way for saving money. My department (Grocery-nightfill starts doing that in the last couple of months)

Julz_012

HSC

maybe its different at other wollies stores but a few friends of mine worked at the one near my place, and after what they said, i wouldn't want to work there. one friend was dreaming of the beeps of the checkout and woke up to find she was trying to scan the stuffed toy in her bed. this happened more than once
another friend who has been there for 3 years said "it sucks out your soul and never gives it back. ever." That may have been a slight overexaggeration but the message was clear enough to convince me to apply somewhere else

Aryanbeauty

HSC

Are you allowed to get two jobs at Woolworhts? say one at Big W and one at Woolworths both of them Casual?

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

Julz_012 said:
maybe its different at other wollies stores but a few friends of mine worked at the one near my place, and after what they said, i wouldn't want to work there. one friend was dreaming of the beeps of the checkout and woke up to find she was trying to scan the stuffed toy in her bed. this happened more than once
another friend who has been there for 3 years said "it sucks out your soul and never gives it back. ever." That may have been a slight overexaggeration but the message was clear enough to convince me to apply somewhere else
It's repetitive, but it brings in the money. Think about the alternatives - doing the same thing in a greasy, smelly environment as opposed to a bland, clean environment. I'd choose the (significantly) lesser of two evils.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A

I have two questions, if anyone has the answers that would be great.

1. How am I supposed to get my discount card now that my three months is up? I have no dept manager at the moment, I avoid the 2IC and the people I work with are giving me different answers (one said it shows up in the dept in an envelop when it arrives, the other said I have to go ask somebody in the cashier's office).

2. How do I go about transferring from one store to another (same dept)? I am getting REALLY sick of travelling when there's a Safeway that's a 5 minute drive away.

And I think the minute I start dreaming about skin-off chicken breasts or considering the difference between middle and rindless bacon is the minute I decide to leave the deli.

Are you allowed to get two jobs at Woolworhts? say one at Big W and one at Woolworths both of them Casual?
You probably could but it would be difficult getting the 2nd place to hire you. Ask somebody at work if you really want to.

hollywoodstar29

HSC
N/A

could anyone tell me the questions they were asked in the second interview? thanks for the help

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

Excalibur_ said:
Well, it isn't for Safeway...which is why I mentioned it.

I remember being told explicitly that everyone is employed as a casual during probation, and people don't usually get given a contract until after it.
Ok, I eat my words. I don't what the document I signed was (bad sign from someone who has studied contract law :p) or what it meant but I'm in my first two weeks on the job and I realised I'm being paid casual rates so I must be casual.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC

fnkychk said:
I have two questions, if anyone has the answers that would be great.

1. How am I supposed to get my discount card now that my three months is up? I have no dept manager at the moment, I avoid the 2IC and the people I work with are giving me different answers (one said it shows up in the dept in an envelop when it arrives, the other said I have to go ask somebody in the cashier's office).

2. How do I go about transferring from one store to another (same dept)? I am getting REALLY sick of travelling when there's a Safeway that's a 5 minute drive away.

And I think the minute I start dreaming about skin-off chicken breasts or considering the difference between middle and rindless bacon is the minute I decide to leave the deli.

You probably could but it would be difficult getting the 2nd place to hire you. Ask somebody at work if you really want to.
1. The cash office is the place.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

Our ones end up where our payslips are....in an envelope.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC

Hey are any of you woolies people (or coles, bi-lo, wherever) part of the SDA union? is it worth joining?

HSC
N/A

Excalibur_ said:
Our ones end up where our payslips are....in an envelope.
Do we get payslips? Man. So much stuff to chase up.

The SDA.. everyone at our induction joined it. They jack up the rewards to seem like more than they are, but it's not too bad. If you want the security, you should join. It doesn't cost too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)