The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

quick90

HSC
From what I've heard so far the delivery drives will be contracted as the trolly boys are.
looks like we'll be getting a employee out of each department to make sure it all runs smoothly from the launch date, so like a produce staff member dedicated to packing produce items etc. apparently with other homeshops, customers had been receiving the wrong items e.g mandarins instead of oranges...

papermate92

HSC
I used to check this thread like 3 times a day to see if anything new has happend:smile:
While one person is reading this for anyone in the office do you print the report after each registers pickup? cause i like do it but I wanna know if im the only 1 wasting all that paper

bouncingCats

HSC
I used to check this thread like 3 times a day to see if anything new has happend:smile:
While one person is reading this for anyone in the office do you print the report after each registers pickup? cause i like do it but I wanna know if im the only 1 wasting all that paper
Usually when I enter pickups, I don't print the individual register pickup reports. I just use the report which usually prints out after the session finishes, just one sheet showing the total pickups entered for that session. If I've forgotten/need to check my figures entered, I use the C/O Audit Report or the Pick-Up Loan Report.

Homeshop at my store usually do the picking late at night/early morning. Its running smoothly so far, we've had it for about a year now.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Woolworths have been busy busy busy with things over the past few months. Let's make a list:

1. All stores will be homeshop (in Victoria anyway)
  2. Several POS updates including "Would you like a receipt?"
  3. Two full weeks of staff wearing those ugly black polo's
  4. New spot check system (no receipt prints)
  5. Nobody stays until 12pm anymore (our store closed at 10, DM stayed until 12pm, but not anymore)
  6. Area HR are pushing for faster scanrates (in my area anyway)

Can anybody else add to this? The company is going to save millions in receipt funds. I think 65-70% of customers DID NOT want a receipt in my shift yesterday.

Also, what's the go with the ugly black polo tops? They are not on the preferred dress policy, do we still have to wear them, if so, why?

_be

HSC
Woolworths have been busy busy busy with things over the past few months. Let's make a list:

1. All stores will be homeshop (in Victoria anyway)
  2. Several POS updates including "Would you like a receipt?"
  3. Two full weeks of staff wearing those ugly black polo's
  4. New spot check system (no receipt prints)
  5. Nobody stays until 12pm anymore (our store closed at 10, DM stayed until 12pm, but not anymore)
  6. Area HR are pushing for faster scanrates (in my area anyway)

Can anybody else add to this? The company is going to save millions in receipt funds. I think 65-70% of customers DID NOT want a receipt in my shift yesterday.

Also, what's the go with the ugly black polo tops? They are not on the preferred dress policy, do we still have to wear them, if so, why?
In Tasmania, not all stores have gone HomeShop.
I LOVE the concept and implementation of the receipt prompt, will save HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAPS in costs.

As for the "ugly black polo tops" they're to do with Margaret Fulton recently being named Australia's most influential chef - or something like that; so we get to wear her face on our chests for 2 weeks (ending end of this week) and then also for another 2 weeks during July (TBA)

I don't see how "They are not on the preferred dress policy" is such a valid argument. Santa hats aren't on our preferred dress, yet we still wear those?

I'm not sure why you're whinging to be honest...

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I don't see how "They are not on the preferred dress policy" is such a valid argument. Santa hats aren't on our preferred dress, yet we still wear those?

I'm not sure why you're whinging to be honest...
Firstly, santa hats and Christmas apparel is optional and generally stems from social norms of it being "Christmas time", people expect you to wear it. That being said, you don't have to wear it.
These stupid shirts are not apart of the companies official dress code, why should I be made to wear something if it's not what I agreed upon when I joined the company? Despite that, I shouldn't be made to wear something that I find disgusting/ugly and therefore, uncomfortable.

BSammy

HSC
I've tried to wear them, I always overheat and take them off after not very long at all. Do you guys have to wear them over our normal work shirts?
The biggest we have is 2XL and that's just not big enough, especially if it has to be over another, bigger shirt.
Also, technically they are a T-shirt, not a polo shirt, as they don't have a collar or buttons. Unless you got a different design.

The new self-serve shirts are polo shirts, and they are not too bad, but I'm not wearing them until we actually get my size in, and that won't be for a while from what I've heard. If the biggest we have is XL, it's just not good enough. I'm sticking with my nice loose 4XL normal work shirts.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Big W's are finally updating to the finger scanners for signing on! Exciting :D

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Hey dude.

We have not received any SCO shirts, i was completely surprised when it was mentioned on here :p I'd wear one, just to get out of the cotton tops.
How long will the shirts be active for?

Also, you raised two very important changes, ones that i completely forgot to mention! It shall indeed be very interesting. Our eftpos machines are changing afaik.

bensneddon

HSC
Some other recent changes:
- Launch of the Home Improvement brand - Masters. First store opening in Braybrook, VIC in September/October
- Michael Luscombe has tendered his resignation and the board has appointed Grant O'Brien (previously COO Australian Food and Petrol) as the CEO Designate
- Store Release 11.0 has been rolled out
- Pulse has been rolled out
- Supermarket Operations staff structure change in stores (I don't know the details on this... can anyone provide more info?)

- Preferred Dress Range changes:
- Long Sleeve Polos
- Hi-vis Polos for Back Dock Staff (available late August)
- Stripe shirts can now be worn by Longlife Assistants, Service Cashiers, Administration Staff and Department Managers, as well as Store Managers, STMs, SSMs, CSMs and Customer Service Supervisors
- Polo shirts can now be worn by any staff where their primary role is the filling of stock

There are probably a few more changes, but that's all I can remember at the moment.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I could be WAY wrong in the Store Operations Staff Structure, but from brief chats with my old store I gather that it is essentially the abolishing of the SSM and STM roles, adding an Assistant Manager, and then combining Groceries/Perishables Management but splitting it off into different responsiblities along the lines of Inventory and like, Presentation. Feel very free to correct me as I haven;t worked at woolies for a looooong time now (though I do miss it :()

edit: also, the idea being it will save money that can be re-invested into DM's, and more importantly, checkout staff. I heard one of the larger stores (Top Ryde) will get about 20 new checkout staff based on the savings.

Last edited:

papermate92

HSC
Some other recent changes:
- Launch of the Home Improvement brand - Masters. First store opening in Braybrook, VIC in September/October
- Michael Luscombe has tendered his resignation and the board has appointed Grant O'Brien (previously COO Australian Food and Petrol) as the CEO Designate
- Store Release 11.0 has been rolled out
- Pulse has been rolled out
- Supermarket Operations staff structure change in stores (I don't know the details on this... can anyone provide more info?)
What exactly is Pulse?

britto89

HSC
With the management structure Phase 1 i've heard is basically Grocery/Perishables and Liquor merging and combining. Phase 2 is said to be some of the fresh foods combining (eg: meat and deli, i think produce would stay seperate) and Phase 3 is something related to checkouts. Phase 1 is said to be implimented before christmas this year.

I hadn't heard about the STM and SSM roles being abolished and PULSE to my knowledge is an incident tracking system designed to replace some of the paper based forms involved with staff and customer incidents relating to safety ,eg: a customer slipping on a grape.

britto89

HSC
Also adding to this list of things happening the uniform changeover from the older style caps and aprons to the new style should basically be complete. Key thing to note is that Woolworths now actually owns the aprons and berets and now just pays Ensign/spotless for laundering services. This is different from the old ones where woolworths actually rented them from ensign.

Interesting to note that the new caps are not laundered by the company and each staff member in a department requiring one is given a cap that is their responsibility. This in the long run could lead to some pretty feral looking caps.

Another interesting change is a bit of a mini refit for health and beauty aisles and the liquor department i work in getting a bit of a major reshuffle.

Last edited:

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Wow! BOS is Back!

Those Margaret Fulton shirts are horrible! Can't wait for them to be finished! My store also hasn't got the Self Serve Shirts,although there was talk awhile ago about them.

Love the receipts option. It is brilliant! Our store is also currently being rearranged. We can't find anything at the moment :( Will be good when it is done though.

What else is there to discuss?? Oh,yeah. Our store got 100% in May's Mystery Shopper! :)

NNS7

HSC
N/A
With the management structure Phase 1 i've heard is basically Grocery/Perishables and Liquor merging and combining. Phase 2 is said to be some of the fresh foods combining (eg: meat and deli, i think produce would stay seperate) and Phase 3 is something related to checkouts. Phase 1 is said to be implimented before christmas this year.

I hadn't heard about the STM and SSM roles being abolished and PULSE to my knowledge is an incident tracking system designed to replace some of the paper based forms involved with staff and customer incidents relating to safety ,eg: a customer slipping on a grape.
Wow BOS is finally back! yay!

In regard to the new supermarkets operation restructure, phase 1 is longlife/perishables/liquor becoming one department called inventory. The new inventory manager will primarily be in charge of PI, AS routines, night filling and presentation. There will also be a merchandising manager who will be in charge of promotions, eg screens, ends, GM off locations etc. STMs and SSMs will no longer exist, there will be one assistant store manager instead. I don't know much about phase 2 or 3 but I believe phase 2 is a fresh foods overhaul.

I also despise the margaret fulton t-shirts, the XS is way too big!
My store doesn't have homeshop or SCO shirts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)