The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

HSC
yeh well i will be on cashier and in deli occasionally, might get a pair of colarados just to wear incase, can always claim on tax
I'm not sure you can claim them on tax...I would check with the tax office first.

I wear these in nontrade:
</title></head>"+"<body onload='if (!window.parent.StateManager || window.parent.StateManager.frameSaving) return;"+"window.parent.StateManager.restore(decodeURIComponent(document.body.innerText));'>"+enc(state)+"</body></html>");h.close();me.frameSa

And these on checkouts:
http://www.shoesforkids.co.uk/Clarks_Talented_Black_Leather.jpg

well, not those shoes exactly, but similar ones.

chandle

HSC
N/A
No, just normal black enclosed shoes - nothing fancy.
You'l need to buy pants, too.

Good thing is, you can get them taxed each financial year.
So technically, you'll get the money back.
No, that isn't really true.

You can claim a tax deduction for the cost of work uniform for the year you buy it, along with washing/repairing expenses every year you use it.

However, with a deduction, you don't "get the money back"; rather, your total income is reduced by the claimed amount, and how much tax you have to pay is worked out from that slightly smaller figure. You only save a small amount, as the money you save is the tax you don't pay on the amount you claim (when you otherwise would have had to).

Claiming a deduction for uniform is only beneficial if you actually pay tax (earn over $14,000), otherwise it's not worth bothering about, as you can't get any lower than paying $0 tax.

In any case, the rule is you can only claim items of clothing which are specific and unique for your occupation. As far as I know, that means that you can claim the expenses for your Woolworths Logo Shirt, but not generic black trousers or generic black shoes, even though you may have only bought it for your job (because they are not exclusively worn/designed for your job).

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
What do you do if a customer is short, and you are left standing there like ......
Two teens brought 2 drinks, came up thirty five cents short, 1 guy already started drinking his.. they basically started walking slowly away like it was no probs what so ever..
I should have made him put 1 back, but I put the 35c in myself..

Any advice on what to do, apart from the simple "refuse sale"?

Craven

HSC
What do you do if a customer is short, and you are left standing there like ......
Two teens brought 2 drinks, came up thirty five cents short, 1 guy already started drinking his.. they basically started walking slowly away like it was no probs what so ever..
I should have made him put 1 back, but I put the 35c in myself..

Any advice on what to do, apart from the simple "refuse sale"?
That's all you can do. Make them cough it up or put one back. Or you could put it in yourself, but I wouldn't do that for those kids... I've only done that when it's a little kid and they're 10c short. Definitely never for cigarettes.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
That's all you can do. Make them cough it up or put one back. Or you could put it in yourself, but I wouldn't do that for those kids... I've only done that when it's a little kid and they're 10c short. Definitely never for cigarettes.
Indeed.

In that case, do I just ask for the drink back and service 20 longlife and tell them to write it off since a bit has been drunk and its open?

jirwin

HSC
How do you even put your own money in there? You have your wallet on you at the register? Doesn't that look suss?

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Just ask for it back. I would NOT have put my own money in.
i agree. its not your fault if a customer is short of change. having said that if it had have been <10c I wouldn't worry too much about it. Does anyone know if there is a set amount that a register is out by before the cashier gets notified?

bensneddon

HSC
Does anyone know if there is a set amount that a register is out by before the cashier gets notified?
I usually go on +/- $20 as compared to previous spot check. Not sure what the official company line is on this one... townie?

Craven

HSC
When you go to your tea break, get the cash and bring it back with you. Or when you finish your shift, etc.

Yeah, discrepencies over $20 should be formally investigated by the CSM. That said, I get really frustrated when supervisors don't check their counts when it's $10 short or so.. most of the time they have just missed a $10 note, for example. But because it's only $10 they don't care.. well it shits me off especially on a Sunday night when you need to be DEFINITE about your declared counts.. grr!

danberg

HSC
How amazing would it be if there was a phone on each checkout (each 2). You could page, call service desk directly, call other dept.'s directly and all, would make like SO much easier especially in large stores!
lol we have it in my store (every 2 checkouts together), i guess i never think about it but its pretty good. NOT that we're a big store, pretty small- big stores have enough staff so that the supervisor doesnt have to serve, and in big stores people always attend to service calls (at least in my world of a perfect big store).

BSammy

HSC
I was told Christmas eve is normal pay rates?
Correct.
The public holidays this year are Christmas Day (when i think almost all stores will be shut) on Friday 25 dec. and The boxing day holiday is on the following monday (28th). Which I am quite annoyed by as that week I will have wednesday til friday off, then sunday-monday off. Ruined by that one day (saturday) I can't get rid of.

And New Years Day. I will get half of that one off.

SS-champion

HSC
How amazing would it be if there was a phone on each checkout (each 2). You could page, call service desk directly, call other dept.'s directly and all, would make like SO much easier especially in large stores!
We used to have an intercom on all the registers before our refurb which was really good. Also I've heard of stores where the managers carry a cordless phone around, now that's a great idea!

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
We used to have an intercom on all the registers before our refurb which was really good. Also I've heard of stores where the managers carry a cordless phone around, now that's a great idea!
Well in the tea room, just under the Phone there is a sheet that says "phone extensions", then another one which says "cordless extensions", and that lists the different managers.

Reception would be a problem though.

HSC
Correct.
The public holidays this year are Christmas Day (when i think almost all stores will be shut) on Friday 25 dec. and The boxing day holiday is on the following monday (28th). Which I am quite annoyed by as that week I will have wednesday til friday off, then sunday-monday off. Ruined by that one day (saturday) I can't get rid of.

And New Years Day. I will get half of that one off.
So I get that Monday is the Boxing Day holiday, and we are paid public holiday rates.

BUT is anyone else's store going to be open on the Saturday (actual boxing day). Mine always is, and we always get paid pub hol rates, but I have a feeling that we might not be this year. Lets just say I will NOT be working boxing day unless there are public holiday rates attached.

I know its different coz I'm not in NSW/VIC, but yeah, any ideas?

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
So I get that Monday is the Boxing Day holiday, and we are paid public holiday rates.

BUT is anyone else's store going to be open on the Saturday (actual boxing day). Mine always is, and we always get paid pub hol rates, but I have a feeling that we might not be this year. Lets just say I will NOT be working boxing day unless there are public holiday rates attached.

I know its different coz I'm not in NSW/VIC, but yeah, any ideas?
Our Store is open boxing day Saturday for the first time ever. and guess who will be put in self-serve? :(

bensneddon

HSC
Well in the tea room, just under the Phone there is a sheet that says "phone extensions", then another one which says "cordless extensions", and that lists the different managers.

Reception would be a problem though.
They use enterprise grade DECT phones with enough base stations to cover the whole trading floor and the back-of-house areas. Most stores I've seen with them installed use the LG Aria systems. There is normally a phone for SM, STM-Fresh, STM-Longlife, SSM and the Longlife Manager. Like most of the new phone systems, you can page to all PA zones by calling #9 on the cordless phones.

There doesn't seem to be much equality to which stores get them. We are the biggest store (by trade) in our area group, and we don't have them. Having only 2 phones on the shop floor (1 at service desk and 1 in Liquor) really sucks!!!

Craven

HSC
Oh, we used to have really old Telstra Commander phones, lol, now we have LG Aria... but we don't have cordless phones and they can't page over the PA.. as far as I know they can't.. :S I wish we had cordless phones... would be so good. Also a second phone in the cash office would be excellent. I saw 4 new computers sitting in the manager's office.. huzzah!

And I am fairly certain Boxing Day (Saturday) will be normal rates. They did the same when a public holiday fell on the Saturday and the alternate holiday was on Monday .. can't remember what day that was though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)