The 'What are these units like?' Thread- 2007 (1 Viewer)

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
jake2.0 said:
Just wondering if anyone knows what these units are like:

STAT271 - is it harder than stat272?
ECON201
ACST255 - i know people have said before that its harder than acst200, but is the content similar to acst200? Seeing as it has stat271 as a prerequisite I'm guessing its there is more emphasis on topics like Stochastic Models?

Also is the textbook required for ECON201? Co-op site says Macroeconomics (Australian Edition) Blanchard Edition: 02E06. Is this the same as previous years?

Thanks
personally, i found that the material covered in stat271 was harder, but the exam was somewhat easier than stat272 (but there would be many ppl who would disagree)

acst255 will probably appear easier than acst200, but the scope for error is very large - it's similar to 200, but now u also incorporate probabilities to the future cash flows

u dont need the textbook for econ201, the lec notes are sufficient

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
econ201 is one of the most enjoyable units i've encountered so far. i-lecture + lecture notes and you are set.

havy

HSC
anyone knows if the textbook for econ335 is essential? I heard that the unit is quite easy and straight forward.

Tabris

HSC
jake2.0 said:
Just wondering if anyone knows what these units are like:

STAT271 - is it harder than stat272?
ECON201
ACST255 - i know people have said before that its harder than acst200, but is the content similar to acst200? Seeing as it has stat271 as a prerequisite I'm guessing its there is more emphasis on topics like Stochastic Models?

Also is the textbook required for ECON201? Co-op site says Macroeconomics (Australian Edition) Blanchard Edition: 02E06. Is this the same as previous years?

Thanks
You do not need the textbook, the lecture readers bu Dr Whitehead are excellent, simple straight to the point.

There are several copies in the reserve if u really want it, but only useful if it is referred to for the tute questions presentations

Tabris

HSC
I also need a heads up on LAW315 constitutional and administrative law...i really hope Iain Stewart is the tutor, heard cornish is harsh and Margaret is pretty good in the tutes

LAW203 torts
LAW206 Crim
LAW315 ...
ECON311

Its going to be another tough semester.....

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Tabris said:
I also need a heads up on LAW315 constitutional and administrative law...i really hope Iain Stewart is the tutor, heard cornish is harsh and Margaret is pretty good in the tutes

LAW203 torts
LAW206 Crim
LAW315 ...
ECON311

Its going to be another tough semester.....
Surely you're kidding. You REALLY don't want Dr Stewart as your tutor... he might be a smart guy when sober, but teaching is really not for him. Expect quite few class cancellations if he's your tutor/lecturer - from food poisoning to not having his glasses with him.

He tells us the assignments are almost all marked before Margaret informs us in Week 13 lecture that he hasn't marked any of them and has taken leave.

Apparently the year before my year he took the whole year's assignment papers home and implied that they'd go missing if he was sacked.

And that's really just the tip of the iceberg...

Last edited:

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
anyone done these?
PHIL364
PHIL357
PHIL363
SOC 361
soc372
SOC 366

any help appreciated! like how hard, how interesting.... and what kinda work in the soc units? i can't find the unit outlines for any of them, and i really want to know what kind of stuff i'd be doing before I enroll (yes i konw, a bit late)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If the ethics course is anything like their other ones (and with Townley at the helm I'd think so) it's a great little course which raises several key issues, and they do strive to keep the content updated.

You may find the reading in a philosophy subject a bit more challenging though, especially if you haven't read much philosophy before, a lot of it might take a fair few attempts to get, but the tutorials are where it can make or break your experience. Depending on the make up, you may get a fairly good tutorial full of discussion etc, otherwise you might get a boring one where no one talks.

havy

HSC
want to know which to choose between:
accg352 and accg353

I hav an impression that 352 is tougher than 353...is it true that you hav to pass the mid-semester in order to pass the whole course? what about the 30% project?

I've also noticed this:
on the asic compliance training website, it says
"For compliance against PS146 Skills requirements the elective units ECON335 and ACCG352 must be completed. " Is it really a big deal? And is there an easy way to get around it?

On the other hand...by looking at the name of the unit, it seems that 353 (corporate financial design) is related to corporate finance and 352 (portfolio management) is about security portfolio (plz correct me if i'm wrong)...which one is more useful then?

thx in advance - any comment appreciated

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)