The weight of external scaling.. (1 Viewer)

clry

HSC
So nearing the end of year 12, I am still unsure on just how much scaling affects our internal marks on both an individual level, and also as the school cohort as a whole. Would someone care to explain?

Let's say I am ranked 20th in English, get an average 75%, in a cohort of 70. Then in the HSC I pick up my game, get a 90, which is the 5th top of my cohort. What would that mean?

And the other way around: Let's say I'm 3rd in say, Physics. Averaging 90%. Cohort of 40. But let's say I flunk the HSC and get a mark of 75%, which is say the 10th top for my cohort. What would this mean in terms of external + internal marks?

And if it's relevant, my school rank is about 95 (pretty good for a public school, I think?)

michaeljennings

HSC
yeah me too. My ranks suck for all my subjects except 1 so i need to ace trials which i am currently doing but i cannot see myself acing so im hoping i can bring it home with a solid hsc performance

tambam

HSC
Your own external mark will not affect your internal mark.
Whether you do good or bad in externals, that is the mark you will get (excluding individual scaling for subjects, which isn't relevant in your question).
So this is the external mark which will make up 50% of your entire hsc mark.

BUT your internal marks will depend on how well your school does as a whole, in that the internal marks of everyone in your cohort are moderated according to their collective performance in the hsc.
This is because not all schools will have exams of the same difficulty, so the internal marks of all schools need to be aligned.

For example, if the average mark in English for your grade was 65, but then in the external hsc exam, your grade's average mark was 75, then they would push everyone's internal marks up so that the average of the internal marks would also be around 75.

So basically, if you want a good internal mark, then make sure you have a high rank, rather than good raw marks.

clry

HSC
Fucker. I just bludged my way through English.. I'm right for everything else (top 5ish). I'm just lazy so never bother with study/etc till the night before, and sadly that never involved memorising essays. I guess I just need to get a massively high mark so that the average of my two isn't too low... May as well get those essays cracking now D:

enoilgam

HSC
Your own external mark will not affect your internal mark.
Whether you do good or bad in externals, that is the mark you will get (excluding individual scaling for subjects, which isn't relevant in your question).
So this is the external mark which will make up 50% of your entire hsc mark.

BUT your internal marks will depend on how well your school does as a whole, in that the internal marks of everyone in your cohort are moderated according to their collective performance in the hsc.
This is because not all schools will have exams of the same difficulty, so the internal marks of all schools need to be aligned.

For example, if the average mark in English for your grade was 65, but then in the external hsc exam, your grade's average mark was 75, then they would push everyone's internal marks up so that the average of the internal marks would also be around 75.

So basically, if you want a good internal mark, then make sure you have a high rank, rather than good raw marks.
This. In a nutshell, thats how the process basically works.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Are you talking about scaling done to make an ATAR or moderating done to determine HSC marks?

clry

HSC
To determine our HSC marks..

Although now that you mention it, how do they come up with out ATAR from our moderated marks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)