The Tomorrow Series (1 Viewer)

de__locke

HSC
I always thought it was Japan. That's just how I pictured it :]

Amazing books! I had a crush on Lee when I was in year 6 :S

Rgo

HSC
...Aren't they in Australia...a remote country town....
And the attacking side is Taiwan or something??
It was stated in the 1st book....

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
If you haven't read them don't read this.

Hey - they're my favourite books ever. I'm rereading the series just now.

About the invading nation. I knew the author was withholding the identity of the invaders purposely so I didn't assume anyone. But I imagine an asian country. Probably China actually. Just because when they discuss the reasons for the invasion they talk about 'reducing imbalances within the region' and how Australia has so much land and in other countries they're packed in like battery hens. So I guess it's the idea of overpopulation that made me think China.

They definitely don't say it's Taiwan - Fi says the language she heard was not Taiwanese.

But I did notice that the narrator says that the writing is not in our alphabet - doesn't this rule out most european countries? - eg France because they use many of the same letters unlike China for intance where the symbols are completely not our alphabet.

This is a good point andi:
They also refer to them looking different I think - and there is never a real moment where people can't tell by appearance between the invaders and the Australians

I must have read the whole series 4 or 5 times at least by now. The Ellie chronicles are also great. Especially the last 2.

I cried when Robyn died too. So sad.

And the movie is going to be made. Though I am usually disappointed by book to movie transformations, you can't help but be excited that your favourite book will be a movie. I am very excited. They're filming in nsw. It would be a difficult movie to film. I hope they use the real terrible hollow for hell. I wonder how they will deal with problems such as the nation's identity in the movie...?

and also - I'm pretty sure the author doesn't specify age so you can imagine yourself. I'm thinking 16ish because by the Ellie chronicles she still isn't an adult right? How many years did the series go on for before she went home I forget?

Last edited:

klaris

HSC
^^ That's a pretty fair assumption with the invading country. I always thought it would be Asian country because WWII is referenced a lot throughout the series and I thought that was just a way Marsden drew parallels between the two. The war lasted for 14 months and the kids were 17 when it started (I was skimming the opening chapters of the first book this morning and it said Kevin had his P's)

If you want to know more about John Marsden's writing styles and where he draws inspiration from then I would recommend Marsden on Marsden, it's a non-fiction book by John Marsden and he just goes through each of his books, one by one, explaining background information, etc etc.
There is a Huge section dedicated to the Tomorrow Series.

Btw, I think they're in year 12 in the Ellie Chronicles.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
^^ That's a pretty fair assumption with the invading country. I always thought it would be Asian country because WWII is referenced a lot throughout the series and I thought that was just a way Marsden drew parallels between the two. The war lasted for 14 months and the kids were 17 when it started (I was skimming the opening chapters of the first book this morning and it said Kevin had his P's)

If you want to know more about John Marsden's writing styles and where he draws inspiration from then I would recommend Marsden on Marsden, it's a non-fiction book by John Marsden and he just goes through each of his books, one by one, explaining background information, etc etc.
There is a Huge section dedicated to the Tomorrow Series.

Btw, I think they're in year 12 in the Ellie Chronicles.
ahh good.

Good one picking up on Kevin having his Ps, but remember he is older than the rest.

Marsden on Marsden sounds great, I will read it, thanks.

How dyou know it lasted for 14 months? Marsden on Marsden? or you just figured it out?

My vague guess would have been that the 'war' lasted a few years but I trust you.

I hope that they don't put any celebrities in the movie. It would wreck it. I hope they don't look too glamorous.

klaris

HSC
I got the length of the war from Marsden on Marsden. Ellie's house is based on the Tye Estate (Marsden's home, where he does writing workshops).

I thought that the war would've lasted longer as well; at least a few years.

But the books are densely written and Ellie does a lot of thinking and pondering the books, as well as wondering about useless bits of information and remembering her most vivid memories about life before the war, so its no wonder we thought the time-frame was longer.

Hope this helps.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
true true.
hey dyou peeps pronounce Fiona's nickname 'Fye' or 'Fee'..?
I like Fee

de__locke

HSC
Fee
It sounds more like her. I can't imagine her going 'Fiiiiiiiiiiie'

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Dankss guys I agree.:eek:
I was getting scared.
If it was Fye my world would fall apart.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Movie is starting to be filmed at the end of this month.
Stupid neighbours chick is star. - caitlin stasey
she looks like malibu barbie NOT ellie the farmer, bush fighter.
so pissed. god people are stupid.
Ellie is meant to be pale, light haired, chubby, tough, anglo etc.

Last edited:

klaris

HSC
Oh no. They're going to destroy it. I bet.

But, I have to say, I don't think Ellie was chubby. In the books she was often described as anorexic (not by choice, by war) and she was fairly fit before that due to working on the farm.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I think this movie has the potential to be one the best pieces of cinema ever produced by this country, I really really hope they don't stuff it up.

A group of fanatics should be advising the producers.

On Q&A lastb nitg John Marsden said the pridscers would be assigning the invaders an ethnic adidentity,

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Oh no. They're going to destroy it. I bet.

But, I have to say, I don't think Ellie was chubby. In the books she was often described as anorexic (not by choice, by war) and she was fairly fit before that due to working on the farm.
It's true she does get thin because of the war. But atleast at the beginning I get the feeling she is stocky. She describes herself as a shetland compared to fi who she describes as a rabbit, a swimsuit model.

I'm very scared they are going to destroy it too.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
I think this movie has the potential to be one the best pieces of cinema ever produced by this country, I really really hope they don't stuff it up.

On Q&A lastb nitg John Marsden said the pridscers would be assigning the invaders an ethnic adidentity,
I agree - it has incredible potential. I really hope they don't stuff it up too of course but I don't think it will be perfect. I always had this secret dream that I would turn it into a movie series when I grew up. That's the only way it could be perfect for me.

Love the group of fanatics idea. Where can I sign up?

I watched Q&A too. It was a great episode. I wonder if Marsden had a national idenity in mind when writing.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I agree - it has incredible potential. I really hope they don't stuff it up too of course but I don't think it will be perfect. I always had this secret dream that I would turn it into a movie series when I grew up. That's the only way it could be perfect for me.

Love the group of fanatics idea. Where can I sign up?

I watched Q&A too. It was a great episode. I wonder if Marsden had a national idenity in mind when writing.
HAHAHAHAH SAME!!!!!!!

Me and my friends used to say that we would make it into a movie, we had planned certain scenes down to fine details and everything.
I always imagined it as the best piece of cinema ever witnessed. Everyone would leave the cinema in tears.

I'm pretty sure every fan has had this fantasy.

The budget is 23 mil, is that big for a movie? On the IMDB website some person has made the point that why the hell was so much money put into a shit and typical movie like Australia when it could be put into something far more useful/compelling/relevant/educational/moving/great-australian-story like this.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
HAHAHAHAH SAME!!!!!!!

Me and my friends used to say that we would make it into a movie, we had planned certain scenes down to fine details and everything.
I always imagined it as the best piece of cinema ever witnessed. Everyone would leave the cinema in tears.

I'm pretty sure every fan has had this fantasy.

The budget is 23 mil, is that big for a movie? On the IMDB website some person has made the point that why the hell was so much money put into a shit and typical movie like Australia when it could be put into something far more useful/compelling/relevant/educational/moving/great-australian-story like this.

Haha. Yea, you can't help but imagine some of those chase seens with this amazing music as she runs through the bush etc. It would be the most amazing useful/compelling/relevant/educational/moving/great movie. I would be so creative and true to the books.

Sorry no idea about movie budgets.

Did you watch the fanmade trailer? ^ I think it's pretty dam good. I love their Ellie so much more.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
The boys of the Tommorrow movie have now been cast
Tomorrow-Movies – The #1 Fansite for John Marsden's 'Tomorrow, When The War Began', The Tomorrow Series and the upcoming Tomorrow movies. � Blog Archive � The Boys of Tomorrow Announced!

They could be better imo but nothing worth slashing wrists.

Actors on crap soaps like home and away and neighbours should not have been allowed to audition. They are too well known as well. Stupid button mouth girly soapy Lincoln Lewis was not a good choice tho better than the crap Ellie.

+Lee looks too old and not dark enough.

Homer could be darker as well but he's pretty good and maybe they'll all get tanned in preparation and filming.

Last edited:

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC

I thought so too, but apparently not:
Tomorrow-Movies – The #1 Fansite for John Marsden's 'Tomorrow, When The War Began', The Tomorrow Series and the upcoming Tomorrow movies. Blog Archive Race of invaders hidden in Aussie film

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)