The Sopranos (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
So what's your take on it walrus? What happened in the end? A lot of debate about it obviously.

Personally I think all this speculation about whether Tony died incredibly silly. Nowhere in the whole episode are we given any indication that Tony will die.. or that he even has enemies after him. At the end Chase gives us 5 minutes of tension + a 5 second black screen, and all these people are insisting he's dead. It feels like to me that there are some very disappointed people out there who are reaching for some sort of definitive closure. A lot of people expected Tony to die I guess.

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I personally didn't really like the ending.
I mean, i've heard of ambiguous endings for movies but after watching 86? episodes you'd think they'd have something greater to offer. The guy who went to the bathroom just makes me think he'd kill Tony but again, it just seems he was added to create a debate over the ending. I'm not the type of guy who absolutely craves closure after watching something, but I dunno. I guess I just expected something.

walrusbear

HSC
the death ending is obviously a popular one. i guess it could have been any number of the implied threats in the diner, possibly sent from new york. i like the idea that times move on, and tony continues to live in a similar sense of fear created in the final scene of the series, enjoying the 'good times' with his family.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yep, yours is the ending I prefer as well walrus. There were obviously a few implied threats as you said, but they were so random and sudden that I thought the scene played out Tony's paranoia more than anything else. Particularly pertinent since Melfi just ditched him. Like I said, the death ending is a good one for those that needed closure

Some Sopranos reading for those suffering from withdrawal.

Jim Emerson's column at Chicago Sun-Times, where Roger Ebert also works. Apparently he's a huge fan. Last few posts have been all about Sopranos and he's a decent read. It also includes a link to an interview with David Chase about the ending:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/

Make sure you read this one too. It's very good.

http://mattzollerseitz.blogspot.com/2007/06/sopranos-mondays-season-6-ep-22-made-in.html

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
MT: "Some will win, some will lose. Some were born to sing the blues. Oh, the movie never ends. It goes on and on and on and on." I have a hard time ignoring the lyrics of that song.

Probably all the catharthis that we're allowed from that ending comes from those lyrics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)