The Reading Recommendations Thread (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Prisoner of Birth - Jeffrey Archer.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
burning your boats- angela carter is a collection of short stories that is pretty critically acclaimed.

psyclops

HSC
The History of Sexuality vol I by Michel Foucault.

Best book I have ever read. Ever.

lealea

HSC
Title: The Season of the Witch
Author: Natasha Mostert

Genre: ....philosophy, alchemy, murder mystery
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc): fiction
Why You Should Read It: this book actually completely surprised me, after it had been sitting on my shelf for 3 years i finally decided to read it and i was like "whoa!" after i read it...this book will seriously keep you up all night until you finish it....guessing until the end and when it does reach the end you want more....it is a very good book

Title: The Name of the Wind
Author: Patrick Rothfus
Genre: ....murder, magic, love, travel, knowledge
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc): fiction
Why You Should Read It: This is his first text and i was immediately captured by it....it was a bit slow to start with but it was immensely impressive at the end....its a great read :D

Ammonsa

HSC
N/A
Title: The smoke jumper
Author: Nicholas Evans
Genre: Romance/?
Medium: fiction novel
Why You Should Read It: Because it is a great book. An epic tale of romance, it has everything!

Guage

HSC
I have about $50 and I'm defs getting Tim Winton's 'Breath' tomorrow for $25.

With the other $25, I'm tossing up between 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman and 'Magician' by Raymond E Feist.

Which do you guys recommend? I don't mind about genre etc.

Any books you would recommend over these two?

Jaylee42003

HSC
'P.S. I Love You' by Cecilia Ahern

Don't watch the movie until you've read the book. And if you've seen the movie already, don't be deterred - the book is fantastic. You'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

chowm

HSC
Seven Ancient wonders by Matthew Reilly, it comes in a trilogy, so be sure to get the other two six sacred stones and the five greatest warriors, any of his books are magnificent to read and are action packed.

1Eilatan

HSC
Despite a mass list, I have to recommend these:

Title: Study Trilogy, Glass Trilogy (Glass is still awaiting one book that'll be released in Sep, but also may be hard to come by in aus since they weren't picked up here, but you can get them off amazon cheaper than ordering them at a&r) These books in order: Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study, followed by, Storm Glass, Sea Glass, Spy Glass (TBR: Sep 2010)
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Genre: Magic, Love, mysteryish.
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc): Fiction
Why You Should Read It: I picked the first book up from my cousin's house, it's the only book he's owned and he's never read it. But I read it and didn't sleep the whole night because I had to complete it. You'll be hooked from the beginning. It's got love and mystery and an amazingly adorable and loyal assassin. Trust me, absolutely hooked from the first chapter. (So hooked that I actually wait every month for the mini story that follows the Study series, since the Glass trilogy has a different main character that was in the Study series briefly).

Title: The Farseer Trilogy, ultimately followed up by The Tawny Man trilogy. Book's in order: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest, (followed by yet set in later time) Fool's Errand, Golden Fool, Fool's Fate
Author: Robbin Hobb (Aka Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden)
Genre: Magic, Fantasy, Thought
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc): Adult Fiction
Why You Should Read It: I can say I've read a lot of books and this is the only one that has ever actually made me cry. The ending is both happy and sad. But I warn, only read this is you're able to stay in it for the long haul. It's not for the weak of heart. I actually had to stop from reading it, skipped to find out what happened, and could only go back after months (starting from the beginning again). But I promise that it is an amazingly intellectual book and may be slow to start but it'll have you hooked as soon as it gets into the story. Also, there isn't a lot of dialogue, but the story makes up completely for it. Placed in first person, it is believed that the main character isn't the one telling the story. I must say, Hobb is one of the best writers I've read, definitely better than Myer and Rowling put together. But to each his own, as they say.

This one's only because I feel sorry for people who like vampire novels and don't know anything better than Twilight. Firstly, I recommend Ann Rice's book, but after "The Queen of the Damned" she went insane and it shows in her story, so therefore there's only three books for you to read. Those are the original vampire tales that you probably would hate if you liked Twilight. But anyway, for the rest of you who love that mix of Romance and REAL Vampires (God damn those twinkling fairy boys <3):

Title: Vampire Academy Series. (I warn, the series is unfinished) Books in this series: Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound (TBR: May 2010), (There will then be a sixth TBA late 2010)
Author: Richelle Mead.
Genre: Vampire, Romance, Horror
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc): I found it in young adult, but I think it should be classified Adult Fiction
Why You Should Read It: Okay, so you like vampires, but then Twilight finished with this like "WTF IS THIS SHIT *Throws book at wall*" kind of ending. But also, like I said this series is incomplete so if you want to know the end already, don't bother reading until the sixth book is out (Though, if you start now, you probably have just finished the first five by this time). This goes a little bit more in accordance to the Vampire tales of old. Vampire's burn in the sun and only come out at night, but it introduces the crazy vampire side with a mix of magic and unholy beings to some monsters that would even scare Buffy. The Vampire's in this story are protected by their "body guard like" counterparts. And it also answers the always asked question "What would it be like if there was a school for vampires!?" This series (so far) doesn't have quiet a happy end, but I believe that there will be one. It's full of romance, friendship, growth, love and is in all a tale of coming to age and finding where you belong. I love it and think it 100x better than Twilight (which I have also read) but am just waiting to see what happens because at some points you also want to throw it at a wall, but I'm more than sure the writer will make up for it. She knows how to write this one, puts the cliffhangers in the right spot, that's for sure!

Wow. This got super long, sorry, but I had to recommend those. <3

Last edited:
HSC
mists of avalon by marion zimmer bradley

it's a fantasy that follows arthurian legend but mixes it with the struggle between paganism and the rise of christianity. some feminist undertones, but mostly it's just a brilliantly plotted and well-written read, truly epic.

i read all my books in one sitting, but this one you can't - it's just far too long, plus i wanted to savour it. there's a whole series of avalon books but this one is the best. it really makes you think as well as being entertaining.

learn2flash

HSC
Title: A thousand splendid suns/ kite runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Genre: 'literature'
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc): novels.
Why You Should Read It: Beautifully written, devastatingly sad, combines interesting plots with historic events, brings to light some of the injustices of the world and educates you about a culture which you may not know much about. Amazing characters also.[/QUOTE]

omg i loved that book! I've read it quite long ago...maybe i should re-read it.
Defos recommended!:spin:

Zainoo

HSC
Title: Daughter of the Forest
Author: Juliet Marillier
Genre: folklore? fantasy? Kinda. I think.
Medium: fiction.
Why You Should Read It: Interesting, unexpected twists (to an extent). Awesome writing. If your interested in the folk and fantasy with romance thing, then you'll probably like this book.

muhahahahahaha

HSC
Title: The time travelers wife
Author:Audrey Niffeneger
Genre: umm well its not really what u call sci fi but its kinda about chrono-impairment and stuff...its kinda like a fiction reality
Medium: fiction, literature, diary entry style
Why You Should Read It: it's strange at first, btu as you read on you begin tounderstand the story line. it is a compelling novel and Audrey has done an amazing job with sustaining the suspense throughout the novel
i give it 9.5/10.</SPAN>

muhahahahahaha

HSC
and it has a lot of romance in it/sexual references so i really dont think people like 12 should read it :)

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
It was pretty bloody awesome. Did you read the sequels?
Sequels were shit, killed the happy-ish ending of the first series and basically made everything shit IMHO.

But at least her and Lee got together, I guess..

X-Calibre

HSC
Title: The Bartimaeus Trilogy,
1. Amulet of Samarkand
2. The Golems Eye
3.Ptolemey's Gate
Author: Johnathon Stroud
Genre: Alternate History
Medium: Fiction
Why You Should Read It: Magicians basically rule Europe and magicians are the not very honourable people that you see in HP, they would do anything for power, they have magic but their main power lies in summoning spirits, like Djinns, Afrits etc. Stroud makes it very believable in a fictious book. Johnathon Stroud writes really good. Alot of humour in it and also very deep messages and the politics is intriguing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)