The Professional Elite (1 Viewer)

pete_mate

HSC
foreign fee paying students dont pay tax, not in this country.

perhaps a tiny amount of gst, but as was said before, they come and leave soon after they've finished.

if their asian country of origin pays the 30k or so a domestic person in australia might over their tax paying life, then that would be fair.

it seems our universities have covered the cost of having foreign students almost exactly. the real cost of the place is the same. so why the extra 5 uai points?

it would make sense for domestic fee paying students, as they may be paying about 30k more in this example.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
What stupidity....

wtf would they pay major amounts of tax? International students are usually here to just study for their degree. Tax revenue is mainly collected from income taxes. If you don't work, you don't pay income tax.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Pete, you seem to have missed something rather important... When a domestic student applies to enter a unviersity they aren't in competition with international students because international places are offered in addition to domestic places (both HECS and full-fee). International students aren't given a '5 uai point advantage' because they aren't applying within that system.

Last edited:

pete_mate

HSC
supercharged said:
What stupidity....

wtf would they pay major amounts of tax? International students are usually here to just study for their degree. Tax revenue is mainly collected from income taxes. If you don't work, you don't pay income tax.
you missed the point completely, we have families, we have lived here all our lives. we have paid taxes that have contributed to university funding, they have not.

did you even read the post moron?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
you missed the point completely, we have families, we have lived here all our lives. we have paid taxes that have contributed to university funding, they have not.

Yes you have contributed, and families with more money have contributed more than families with less money... however international students bring in foreign money.

K

katie_tully

Honestly. If you're smart and you have a strong work ethic you're going to succeed, regardless of whether you're Asian or white.

The problem with white people, is that for the majority of Australian history they've had first preference at uni, and at high paying jobs. Now there is actually competition, and people are asking wtf's going on, why can't we be given it on a silver platter?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The argument that international students are somehow getting something on the cheap by not paying taxes is ridiculous. I'll lay it out pretty simply: HECS places are partly funded by the government and are thus supported by the taxation system. Fee paying places are funded entirely out of a students pocket (and If they get FEE-HELP they are just loaning from the government as opposed to keeping as with a HECS student who only ever actually pays less).

Ok so we've established that fee paying places are not supported by taxation now let me introduce a whacky concept from left field. International students pay fees. Combine this premise with our already established fact and we get a very simple answer: International students are NOT supported by the AUSTRALIAN Tax base.

Pete try thinking more before posting.

K

katie_tully

pete_mate said:

Soo.... what's your stance on Australian students studying at overseas universities then? Coz I'm pretty sure Australian's don't pay tax in Canada, yet Australian's go to North American universities...so shouldn't the Canadian's be pissed that these damn Aussie's are stealing their university places? :rolleyes:

pete_mate

HSC
well the argument has lost its steam because someone pointed out they dont recieve 5 uai points. But there are still places that are taken up by foreign fee paying students.

the figures, (for relatively high income earners anyway) still reveal that the differance between HECS and full fees are just the amount of tax paid over the years.

i dont understand this "support" thing. Yes, we dont pay as much as full fees, but the differance seems to be covered in the income taxes we've paid over the years.

K

katie_tully

I don't get what it is you're whinging about. Australian's have the choice to
a) Pay full fees
or
b) defer their fees, ie HECS.

International students cannot apply for HECS, thus they have to pay full fees, plus the expenses of living in another country. They're not stealing places from Australian students, thus I fail to see what the issue is.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
@ Peter:

Exactly.

The difference in what we pay compared to international students is made up for by the taxes we pay that they don't.

The other situation is that of those who pay tuition fees as if they were with their native university - this evens out because in general when we go on exchange (eg one we don't organise ourselves) we pay only our tuition fees.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
katie_tully said:
I don't get what it is you're whinging about. Australian's have the choice to
a) Pay full fees
or
b) defer their fees, ie HECS.

International students cannot apply for HECS, thus they have to pay full fees, plus the expenses of living in another country. They're not stealing places from Australian students, thus I fail to see what the issue is.
Well actually domestic students can opt to pay fee or HECS and both can be either paid up front (with a discount) or deferred.

66daystogo

Harro! Evrebodry rov Aysha shtoodeh eshpreshry physhic an chemsty shtoodeh. Won dai-lah we'r rure Aushtrayra an evrbody hav fun-lah. :)

K

katie_tully

A girl in our Japanese class was called Lilly, except when we spoke to her in a sentence it came out Riri :(

supercharged

HSC
N/A
pete_mate said:

And international students pay much more expensive FULL FEES (unis actually make money from them), while local students pay through the greatly government subsidised HECS system and get concessions for travel.

kthxbye

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
A girl in our Japanese class was called Lilly, except when we spoke to her in a sentence it came out Riri :(
With the Japanese language, they usually substitute 'L' for 'R' because there's no 'L' in their alphabet systems.

HSC
pete_mate said:
with the international students link, it does work.

say there are 10,000 places at usyd

5,000 are domestic and 5,000 international fee paying places

say there is a a ratio of 2:3 anglo celtic to asian people getting uni palces
2,000 anglo celtic and 3,000 asian ethnicity.

the important part is the ratio for international fee paying is 0:1, or 1:1000 or something (australia is very close to asia)

the international fee paying places accentuate the domestic fee paying ratio. (the ratio is a matter of social factors, hard working asian ethic helps for hsc.)

such that in this example, rather than 2:3 the ratio becomes, 1:5 (which i think is quite accurate from what i hear)

it annoys me that i have to compete with foreign students who didnt take the same test as me, or are fee paying etc. the idea of "fee paying" is also ridiculous

with my family being a high income earner, i may pay have paid around 30,000 a year in income tax. 30k x 30 yr working life = 900,000
lets add gst and a crapload of other crap, and capital gains, hmm probly 300k

the budget:
4.7bn expenditure on universities, 195bn in total expenditure = 2.41% gov expenditure. = $28,950

(this doesnt really make sense considering my fathers masters in finance should be worth much more than this. this highlights the lack of funding given to universities)

HECS is like, 20 or 30k anyway, so we'll pay about 60k!

bingo! the same as a full fee paying degree.

okay, so as a domestic HECS student we pay the same as a foreign full fee paying student, that's fair.

but a foreign fee paying student will have 5 extra uai points...

i dont care for racism, i care for fairness, this is not fucking fair.
The more international students there are the more HECS places there are, so shut the fuck up.

Generator

HSC
N/A
pete_mate said:
well the argument has lost its steam because someone pointed out they dont recieve 5 uai points. But there are still places that are taken up by foreign fee paying students.
Yes, places that are created in addition to those offered to domestic students.

Would you like me to restate the point? No? Well, too bad -

The places offered to international students are offered in addition to those created for domestic students through the HECS system. International students aren't taking 'our' places, they are just paying quite a bit to create their own.

is a roflcopter
HSC
yes all your law firms belong to us

next step
asians getting into politics kekeke~~!! zergRUSHED

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)