the PIP... (1 Viewer)

s1mplykat

HSC
is anyone stuck on ideas for the persOnal interest prOject?? im still brainstorming! duno from;

* is image everything? - a study of teenagers on the body image issue, girls with eating disorders and boys taking steroids

* the rich and famous - researching the life style of celebrities and the differences to common people...

*wog, ozzi and azn pride.. - a study of why people of the same nationality and background tend to only socialites with one another

*sociOeconomic status - a study of the upper class, middle class and people on the dole.. who suffers the most...

what do you think?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
* is image everything? - a study of teenagers on the body image issue, girls with eating disorders and boys taking steroids
I wouldn't do this. Avoid anything topics that are either superficial or done to death. This could be a bit of both.

* the rich and famous - researching the life style of celebrities and the differences to common people...
This could be okay. However, I think for it to be successful you would have to be more specific, i.e. choose one aspect of their lives that you would compare - not just a 'general' comparison.

*wog, ozzi and azn pride.. - a study of why people of the same nationality and background tend to only socialites with one another
If done well, I think this would be the best choice. Start doing some general background research to find out what kind of information is available. Much primary research could be integrated into a topic such as this, which is always a good thing also.

*sociOeconomic status - a study of the upper class, middle class and people on the dole.. who suffers the most...
I definitely wouldn't do this one. The hypoethesis would be too predictable and your research really wouldn't 'discover' anything. It is common knowledge that poor people suffer more than rich people..

s1mplykat

HSC
thanks for you input.. though i was talking to my society n culture teacher about my ideas, she leans toward the topic of;

*socioeconomic status - a study of the upper class, middle class and people on the dole.. who suffers the most...

i was doing a lil` research on it… its actually middle class people that `suffers` the most.. people on the dole just get money from the government.

as to;

i had much interest to this topic toO!, but my teacher found it not very interesting.. o_O

*ehhh.. n i thought it was meant to be a PI (personal interest) project…

hYperTrOphY

HSC
s1mplykat said:
thanks for you input.. though i was talking to my society n culture teacher about my ideas, she leans toward the topic of;

*socioeconomic status - a study of the upper class, middle class and people on the dole.. who suffers the most...

i was doing a lil` research on it… its actually middle class people that `suffers` the most.. people on the dole just get money from the government.

as to;

i had much interest to this topic toO!, but my teacher found it not very interesting.. o_O

*ehhh.. n i thought it was meant to be a PI (personal interest) project…
Can you show me the research that states the middle class suffers more than lower class, please? Just because people on the dole/pension receive government payments does not mean they don't suffer - I dont even understand that notion...

from my notes said:
Being out of work means that:
Money wage is cut - without an income, anxieties about coping with day to day life multiply.
Activity Level - employment provides exercise and skills. Without employment these are reduced.
Variety - Employment provides access to contexts that contrast with domestic surroundings.
Temporal Structure - Regular employment there is a rhythm of work, that is organized. Those who are out of work frequently find boredom a major problem.
Social contact - The work environment often provides friendship and opportunities to participate in shared activities with others.
Personal Identity - Employment is usually valued for the sense of stable social identity it offers. Unemployment may determine an individual's confidence and social value.
People of low socioeconomic status get trapped in the cycle of [relative] poverty, and this effects their health, income, housing, criminal behaviour, education etc.

While it should be a topic you that YOU'RE interested in, it is also important to acknowledge that how interesting the marker finds it is also very important. In saying that, I don't see why the topic on nationalities could not be quite good. If you want to do that one, I would do some background research and find out what's out there, design a plan and return to your teacher. From what I can gather, this topic could be very good if done well.

s1mplykat

HSC
actually i was thinking that middle classes suffer more as they have to work more for money in order just to pay off day to day living costs.
For example most middle class people would have a mortgage, mobile phone bills, internet bills, electric, gas, water bills etc.

Also ive learnt that only 5% of the population work for themselves or run their own business. The rest actually work for someone.

Lower-class people such as people on the “dole” social security will receive money from the government which middleclass people pay off for by tax .
Lower-class people don’t have their “dole” taxed so they don’t have a fear of loss of their income. Not everyone suffers when on the dole , some are quite happy from where they are but middle class people are usually working for “financial freedom” so they suffer more from economy , share market, rising costs etc . While the upper-class people stay in a financial stability.

In most cases its usually wealthy people are set where as the unfortunate lower class people stay on the dole. Reasons for this are that usually the economy will follow the trickle down system. Which means the wealth of wealthy people will trickle down to the middle class people who work for them and so forth.

This is my assumption…
could be wrong... o_O this is only an idea

hYperTrOphY

HSC
For example most middle class people would have a mortgage, mobile phone bills, internet bills, electric, gas, water bills etc
Although this may be true, who is suffering more - middle class because they have to pay for them (nice home, good facilities etc), or the lower class, which don't have any of these 'luxuries'?

s1mplykat

HSC
but i know some lower class of having these luxuries
its called housing commission
in "pyrmont"!
i mean pyrmont houses cost near a mil each and yet they're still up in housing commission

i understand we're your coming from but i still dissagree in a sense...

hYperTrOphY

HSC
s1mplykat said:
but i know some lower class of having these luxuries
its called housing commission
in "pyrmont"!
i mean pyrmont houses cost near a mil each and yet they're still up in housing commission

i understand we're your coming from but i still dissagree in a sense...
I know what housing commission is - I live in housing commission, and I can guarantee that I would much prefer not to.

But it is fine that you disagree - that is one of the great things about a subject like Society and Culture. So long as you can justify your point of view with solid quantitative and qualitative data, you will do well.

For this topic, the case study methodology may be of some use.

em1604

HSC
I start year 12 next term and i'm starting to think of my society PIP ideas.

I know i want to do something related to gender - so right now i'm thinking of something along the lines of

Can boys and girls just be friends

or something, do any past society students know if this is a good topic?

My teacher told me that you shouldn't do anything about drugs or anorexia cause its way too over done, so yeah please let me know !

any help would be appreciated !

speedofsound

HSC
I start year 12 next term and i'm starting to think of my society PIP ideas.

I know i want to do something related to gender - so right now i'm thinking of something along the lines of

Can boys and girls just be friends

or something, do any past society students know if this is a good topic?

My teacher told me that you shouldn't do anything about drugs or anorexia cause its way too over done, so yeah please let me know !

any help would be appreciated !
i would probably advise against doing a topic like that.

because obviously, yes, boys and girls can just be friends. a heterosexual man and a heterosexual woman aren't going to be immediately attracted to each other because they are heterosexual. then you also have to take into account bisexuals and homosexuals where naturally, for example, yes, a homosexual man could be friends with a heterosexual woman.

i think it would be far too limited and wouldn't really open up any opportunities for intriguing research. just my two cents. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)