the pill (1 Viewer)

evil_kitten

HSC
According to wiki-

The use of oral contraceptives (birth control pills) for five years or more decreases the risk of ovarian cancer in later life by 50%.[81]
Combined oral contraceptive use reduces the risk of ovarian cancer by 40% and the risk of endometrial cancer by 50% compared to never users. The risk reduction increases with duration of use, with an 80% reduction in risk for both ovarian and endometrial cancer with use for more than 10 years. The risk reduction for both ovarian and endometrial cancer persists for at least 20 years.[19]
Taking oral contraceptives also reduces the risk of colorectal cancer, and improves conditions such as pelvic inflammatory disease, dysmenorrhea, premenstrual syndrome, and acne.

And also

Research into the relationship between breast cancer risk and hormonal contraception is complex and seemingly contradictory.[83] The large 1996 collaborative reanalysis of individual data on over 150,000 women in 54 studies of breast cancer found that: "The results provide strong evidence for two main conclusions. First, while women are taking combined oral contraceptives and in the 10 years after stopping there is a small increase in the relative risk of having breast cancer diagnosed. Second, there is no significant excess risk of having breast cancer diagnosed 10 or more years after stopping use. The cancers diagnosed in women who had used combined oral contraceptives were less advanced clinically than those diagnosed in women who had never used these contraceptives."[84] This data has been interpreted to suggest that oral contraceptives have little or no biological effect on breast cancer development, but that women who seek gynecologic care to obtain contraceptives have more early breast cancers detected through screening.

Sooo I'd say you'd be fine to take the pill.
wow that took some processing
but sounds good =)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Hey so if my girlfriend is changing from one pill to another (at the end of a cycle), will she be properly protected or should we take precautions for the first month or something?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Hey so if my girlfriend is changing from one pill to another (at the end of a cycle), will she be properly protected or should we take precautions for the first month or something?
The formulations are largely the same. She should be fine, but if you're worried a condom couldn't hurt for the first week or so.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I never had the packet, fuck, read, I'm a guy.
I am aware you are a guy. Theres no reason why either of you can't read it, it was just a suggestion if you want to be 100% sure as I am not a doctor nor do I know which pills she is on or is switching from. Otherwise like Kwayera said generally the forumaltions are the same, the 7 day rule is a good one... MY insert says:
"If you are switching to Levlen ED - If you are switching from a 28 day pack combined oral contraceptive pill, start taking Levlen ED on the day after taking the last actve pill in your previous pill pack. You will be protected immediately from pregnancy if you start this way. (A withdrawal bleed/period will may not occur until the end of the first pack of Levlen Ed" - Its different for the mini pill, implant etc

Thus if you haven't done it in this way I'd at least stand by the barrier method for at least 7 days, I am overly cautious though and generally go a month to be sure that my body has adjusted properly.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
never taking something like that which stuffs round wit your hormones so much. stupid thing to do.
It doesn't stuff around with your hormones, it IS hormones. It's a regulator.

Nothing stupid about it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
never taking something like that which stuffs round wit your hormones so much. stupid thing to do.
First of all, for some people they naturally have a hormonal imbalance and the pill corrects it.

It also helps those with terrible cramps, heavy bleeding and/or endometriosis.

I also know a few people who have had scares with condoms (sliding off, breaking, forgetting to wear them) The pill at the very least is a good back up!

You are not a doctor and I don't know where you get your information from. YES it changes your hormone levels but provided you are taking the right one it does not 'stuff them around' in fact it regulates the levels quite well.

If you don't want to take it thats fine but this thread is info about the pill and peoples experiences with it. If you aren't going to bring anything constructive to the convo don't bother.

It sounds like you may be a little misinformed. I urge you to get a little more information about contraceptives as I know too many people who have found themselves in difficult situations as a result of being misinformed, if you then decide its not for you at least you have all the info. Don't call it silly, going on the pill is often a mature and responsible decision which often involves a lot of research and thought!

Last edited:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I'd be in bed for 10 days a month crying in pain if I wasn't on the pill, my periods are terrible. It got to the ridiculous stage and the pill helped so much. I was also anaemic in part due to them. ( I have iron absorption problems and also need a higher level than normal)

We treat a lot of hormonal diseases, do you think these people should not be treated? You realise sex hormones are not the only hormones in the body too?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I'd be in bed for 10 days a month crying in pain if I wasn't on the pill, my periods are terrible. It got to the ridiculous stage and the pill helped so much. I was also anaemic in part due to them. ( I have iron absorption problems and also need a higher level than normal)

We treat a lot of hormonal diseases, do you think these people should not be treated? You realise sex hormones are not the only hormones in the body too?
I have iron absorbtion problems too :)

Re: Hormonal Treatment, its true. I take oroxine which a synthetic hormone to regulate thyroid function as my thryroid doesn't function properly. Insulin is also a hormone.

Keep in mind we don't just pop pills for the sake of it

Last edited:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I have iron absorbtion problems too :)

Re: Hormonal Treatment, its true. I take oroxine which a synthetic hormone to regulate thyroid function and my thryroid doesn't function. Insulin is also a hormone.
Damn, you poor person :( does the oroxine work well? I know people with thyroid problems and they have to deal with some sucky things sometimes.

Yeah, it makes me mad when people don't just state their opinion, but judge others too without being informed.

Good post before, btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)