• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official PS3 vs. Xbox 360 Thread (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
it was an article you came up with, dated back 2 years ago. 2 years have past and the ps3 is still in a spot of bother.

it's important to remember that console exclusivity is a rare thing nowadays, and being an exclusive is the only time a developer can put up their hands and say "we released it on x console because y console didn't have the power to handle it". there aren't going to be many games out there that will work on the ps3 hardware and not on the xbox 360, or vice versa. the only one i can think of in the ps3s case is with metal gear solid 4, it was noted that it was only possible to develop for the ps3 because of it's hardware.

on paper, the ps3 is more powerful than the 360 but it does have its shortcomings as well. gears of war was rumoured to be coming out on the ps3 but when presented the question, the epic (games company that created it) spokesperson stated that it wasn't possible on the ps3 because of the fact that the 360 has twice the memory in it.

and as for the 'just-you-wait' mentality that most ps3 owners have:

geez man, i don't want to have to wait for a console to get better. sure i'll be definitely picking a ps3 up in the future but with nothing over the horizon that i'm even remotely interested with, it can wait a year. or four.

Last edited:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
ronnknee said:
PS3 acts as a blue ray player which is far superior than the Xbox failed format that it supports. Therefore if you want a crappy xbox360, go ahead its fine because its cheaper. But even if you don't wanna play games choose PS3 because it plays Blueray and is an extremely cheap player.
wait... DVD failed?

Garygaz

HSC
It's more a case of one slowly dying away and the other slowly prospering rather than waiting for it to be good. I think its a bit rash to say PS3 owners have to 'wait' for it be good, infering it's not or something.

Also, Pachter, a top gaming analyst has commented that the reason that Gears of War isn't on the PS3 yet is that Xbox has most likely got a two game contract with Epic, not for reasons of RAM. Also, he predicted that it would be likely Sony would harbour a deal about putting it on PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb9p7aqml84&feature=related

PS3 has some titles up its sleeve too. This has gotten way more hype then Gears of War has, it's going to be epic. Also, the FFVII remake still looks a PS3 exclusive and Tekken 6 will entice a whole new player base to the console.

So no, people won't have to wait for the PS3 to be good

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
but wait, people will have to wait for these games to come out. final fantasy vii is nothing but a rumour and tekken 6 hasn't even got a release date. it's kinda disappeared off the face of the earth. don't be shocked if it comes out on the 360, either.

killzone 2? the very same one that was demoed at E3 2005 and still hasn't shown up? riight. another good reason why you fellas are kept waiting.

with final fantasy, whatever man, i've already played the original and have no desire to play it all over again. i'm no fan of jrpgs but if i had to choose between one remake (ffvii) or two exclusives (inifinite undiscovery and star ocean 4) i'd choose two exclusives any day of the week.

and if gears/gears 2 was to go multiplat? great, whatever's good for the business. more people will be able to play the game, i've got no problem with that

Huynsta.

HSC
At first I was a PS3 fan, however after realising that most games i loved that were also exlcusive to xbox. I changed xD

AND NOW! FFXIII is going to be released on xbox, im gonna have to say..."Im sorry sony" :p

Garygaz

HSC
Actually, if you do a bit of googling, you'll find that Star Ocean 4 most likely is coming to PS3. Enix said 'It's definitely being released on Xbox first, we are unsure about Ps3' and have not allowed Microsoft to stick a Xbox Exclusive sticker on the box.

Considering the trailer came out before the PS3 came out, its not surprising the game isn't out yet, game developers aren't demi-gods. Demos of the game are out, watch the gameplay on Youtube. It has a new gun physics system where the distance from which you shoot an NPC heavily effects their reaction, i.e shoot them with a pistol from the opposite side of a bridge and it may make their arm go limp and drop their gun. Close range = shred to bits.

Shit, I don't dispute it, Infinite Discovery sounds good, I'm going to enjoy playing it, but each console has their own unique exclusives:

Xbox's mains being Halo, GOW (atm) and Inf. Dis.

PS3: Metal Gear Solid, Killzone and Tekken

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
in all honesty though, i don't think it's likely tekken's going to stay exclusive. i'm aware of the close ties between tekken and sony hardware but namco's been all over the place lately. what with ace combat and katamari now being 360 exclusive and soul calibur iv comming to xbox despite 3's exclusivity, i'd say it's a damn guarantee.

Garygaz

HSC
True, true, though it's been exclusive for too long and we as bystanders really can't speculate to effectively on how Sony has rendered deals with them. I think Namco and whoever the producers of MGS were, were most likely the top of the list for their contracts, I mean, shit, I love the FF series though it's not a wide selling game, targeting a small group of gamers. Tekken is really a wide market and it wouldn't surprise me if Sony made a deal for a few more Tekken games even before the PS3 or 360 were made.

Though once again, who knows what goes on behind closed doors. Using that logic, if Namco wanted more sales, it would of made Katamari and Ace Combat non Xbox exclusive, though deals are made and theyre not, so I don't think you can use the logic that they're on Xbox so that means Tekken will be. The relationship with Tekken and Sony is very VERY tight, I mean think back to the orignal PS. I think it'll stay exclusive. But then again, repeating myself, that's my opinion.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
runtlocks said:
but wait, people will have to wait for these games to come out. final fantasy vii is nothing but a rumour and tekken 6 hasn't even got a release date. it's kinda disappeared off the face of the earth. don't be shocked if it comes out on the 360, either.

killzone 2? the very same one that was demoed at E3 2005 and still hasn't shown up? riight. another good reason why you fellas are kept waiting.

with final fantasy, whatever man, i've already played the original and have no desire to play it all over again. i'm no fan of jrpgs but if i had to choose between one remake (ffvii) or two exclusives (inifinite undiscovery and star ocean 4) i'd choose two exclusives any day of the week.

and if gears/gears 2 was to go multiplat? great, whatever's good for the business. more people will be able to play the game, i've got no problem with that
tekken 6 won't disappear... especially considering it's already booming in arcades (and has been for a few months.... fuckkkkk i gotta rank up my Ling in galaxy but I keep getting owned and running out of money :()

although I'm also willing to be it'll hit 360, haha

edit: oh fuck that's not what you said,

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Garygaz said:
Actually, if you do a bit of googling, you'll find that Star Ocean 4 most likely is coming to PS3. Enix said 'It's definitely being released on Xbox first, we are unsure about Ps3' and have not allowed Microsoft to stick a Xbox Exclusive sticker on the box.

Considering the trailer came out before the PS3 came out, its not surprising the game isn't out yet, game developers aren't demi-gods. Demos of the game are out, watch the gameplay on Youtube. It has a new gun physics system where the distance from which you shoot an NPC heavily effects their reaction, i.e shoot them with a pistol from the opposite side of a bridge and it may make their arm go limp and drop their gun. Close range = shred to bits.

Shit, I don't dispute it, Infinite Discovery sounds good, I'm going to enjoy playing it, but each console has their own unique exclusives:

Xbox's mains being Halo, GOW (atm) and Inf. Dis.

PS3: Metal Gear Solid, Killzone and Tekken
XBOX also has:
Fable
Forza
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Mass Effect
Too Human

they are (unfortunately) killing sony on exclusive titles.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
if we're battling it out between ps3 and x360 about exclusivity, then i think we all agree that the Wii takes that prize hands down :]

but honestly, i don't get these debates. sure i'm a sony fan and have the ps1/ps2/ps3 .. i don't honestly care about the whole ps3//360 debacle. You buy what you like, that's all there is to it. As stazi said, both consoles are great consoles. PS3 is overpriced, sure. but everything's overpriced once they first came out. Just remember the ps2? ~$700 when it first came out. now it's like $200 or so (after 8 yrs, sure. but technology has an accelerated depreciation effect).

There are games on the 360 that i wouldn't mind playing (mass-effect to see what the whole deal is about) but they're thingsi can live without. I mean, hell.. i have had the ps2 since its launch and ive only gotta library of about 10 games. i don't play console games that much so i don't buy them.

And i think that everyone canagree that pc > ps3&x360.

:]

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Good arguments! who here to going to purchase the 80 gb PS3 coming out august 27th!. well i am.

i was just wondering, can you actually surf the web and chat on msn on the ps3? can you download mini games like 15mbs and play them on the ps3?

Fact about ps3: overall in 1 year, the Sony Playstation 3 console uses the same energy as an average home refrigerator!....now thats scary!

and when you guys say poor online community, which is why i want to get ps3, i like online play, i really want to play COD4 online. Is there a large amount of players on it?

Garygaz

HSC
wrxsti said:
Good arguments! who here to going to purchase the 80 gb PS3 coming out august 27th!. well i am.

i was just wondering, can you actually surf the web and chat on msn on the ps3? can you download mini games like 15mbs and play them on the ps3?

Fact about ps3: overall in 1 year, the Sony Playstation 3 console uses the same energy as an average home refrigerator!....now thats scary!

and when you guys say poor online community, which is why i want to get ps3, i like online play, i really want to play COD4 online. Is there a large amount of players on it?
Yea there are some games you can download and play of the playstation store for free. COD4 online has a lot of players, what most people refer to is lag, though that is mostly when you play at off peak times when you'll be on an American server. So pretty much, if your playing during the day/night, no need to worry.

Garygaz

HSC
Hagaren said:
XBOX also has:
Fable
Forza
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Mass Effect
Too Human

they are (unfortunately) killing sony on exclusive titles.
Argh, I hate it when people just assume stuff, like for example, Xbox has all the exclusives. Here are some PS3 exclusives: - . -
* Formula One
* Genji: Days of the Blade
* Grand Turismo 5 (Far superior to Forza, it's the best driving series of all time)
* Heavenly Sword
* Killzone 2
* Kingdom Hearts 3
* Metal Gear Solid 4
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
* Ratchet and Clank 5
* Resistance: Fall of Man
* Tekken 6
* Singstar
* Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
* Socom

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Gran Turismo 5 isn't out yet. Only prologue is out. Also, many of those games you listed as exclusives suck :p You also left out NBA 07 and NBA 08.

Garygaz

HSC
stazi said:
Gran Turismo 5 isn't out yet. Only prologue is out. Also, many of those games you listed as exclusives suck :p You also left out NBA 07 and NBA 08.
Well, yea, I wouldn't buy some of them, though they are popular amongst different demographics, hence, they sell well. Most of them aren't out yet, thought they are confirmed exclusives

BlastdXams

HSC
Xbox 360 owns ps3 as the sensitive controllers are bullshit and the reason for this is that the Xbox 360 is a truly impressive machine and shows an enormous amount of potential for the years to come. There are titles in development that seem to have the potential to be true blockbusters – and the clever use of a proprietary online marketplace opens up the possibility of innovation.

one of the coolest things about the 360 is the The Marketplace as your able to watch game trailers (usually free) and download game demos. (You'll also be able to purchase pictures, game-specific thematic content to let you customize the look of your dashboard and eventually add-ons for games.)

The system truly sings with a high definition television, as has been widely reported, but still shows noticeable graphical improvements over the current generation. In an ideal world, HD is best, but you can survive for a while without it and still enjoy the system.

If you're a more casual fan, it's probably worth waiting a bit. In a holiday season where dollars are tight and supply will be fairly low, it's hard to justify the stress you'll face and the price you'll pay for Xbox 360.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the ps3 also allows you to watch trailers and download demos.

the ps3 also sings on an HDTV

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
One thing i hate about these PS3 vs X360 threads, is that it brings bout fanboys who have no basis in their arguements.

@Blastdxmas: as stazi said, PS3 you can download demos, download trailers, download themes, add ons for games, etc.
You can even download PSX games via PS3 onto your PSP.

WRT this thread though, both consoles are good consoles no doubt about that. Although atm, the general masses seem to go towards X360 for the better games library, cheaper, and the whole fact that you can play emulated games on it (also the games offer from stazi =p).
Who knows whether this will change in the future. Only time will actually tell whether or not the PS3 will be better than the X360.

It was kinda funny though, Xbox fans were comparing the Xbox to the PS2 which was around 3-4yrs older than it, in terms of raw power. That kinda pissed me off with the Xbox fanboys. It's like comparing the Raw power of an Intel Duo Core to a Single Core AMD Athlon.

That said, if i had the time and money to play both consoles, i would do so.
Can't wait for little big planet though ^__^
That game's gonnabe awesome for the PS3 =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)