• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official PS3 vs. Xbox 360 Thread (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sony created a beast, and tried to re-invent the wheel, and kudos to them. Their execution however, was something that left a lot to be desired.

Microsoft and Nintendo, despite all their claims of 'branching out' (lets face it, they've been tackling the 'casual' market ever since the first Game & Watch came out), stuck to what they were good at.

Having said that, the biggest problem has been the new architecture, when you're looking at a whole new infrastructure and coding base, especially with video games now much more of a strict money-making industry than before, then added roadblocks = more manpower = more costs. A lose-lose situation.

Ironically, its outside of the gaming community where money/expertise to tackle the new architecture has really come to the fore, with PS3s becoming cheap server farms.

I've gone for the Wii60 setup, purely because those two have the games I've wanted, a blu-ray player means little to me. (Again an issue of making 'HD' things when the source material is only up to DVD or SDTV standards means that the HD elements are rarely ever exposed.)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Hagaren said:
PS3 wins hands down as a system, but the 360 is ahead in terms of games.

-rechargable controller kits cost extra for xbox.
-wireless internet adapter costs extra for xbox.
given the opportunity to use aa batteries in a controller is better, if and when the battery in the ps3 controller dies you have no way to replace it which means you have to get a brand new controller. let's not forget that the ps3 dual shock is retailing for around $95, whereas an xbox 360 wireless controller you can get for $64 and get the play and charge kit for around $28. comes around about the same, but you've still got that option to use aa batteries or easily replace the rechargable battery when it dies.

not everyone uses a wireless connection. hell, not every gamer will have their console online. everything that comes out of the box with the ps3 is factioned into the overall price. this is what i like about seperate skus, you have the ability to choose the bundle that will suit you. sony of course had the 60gb backwards compat model, but the fact is they didn't give us a choice to choose between it and the current 40gb. i personally wouldn't mind paying the extra money to have a system able to run all of my ps2 games.

$349 for a bare bones next gen console is quite a good price. you'll still be able to jump online and if you feel you do like it, then you can pick up a hard drive in the future.

although yes, microsoft do tend to fucking rip everyone off by forcing consumers to buy their first party junk (the wireless adapter and hard drives being the most blatant overpricing).

microsoft have really made the push to ensure many of the successful last-gen franchises show up on their machine. final fantasy, resident evil, devil may cry and grand theft auto in particular are all games that people would consider when choosing what console they want. when it comes to exclusives, the 360 definitely has the edge, i don't think anyone's going to argue against that. maybe a handful of mgs fanboys, but other than that...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Hagaren said:
-rechargable controller kits cost extra for xbox.
Yes, but controllers are also cheaper. $69AUD vs. $94.

-wireless internet adapter costs extra for xbox.
Not everyone uses wireless. The PS3 in itself is more expensive than the xbox.

HDMI port means i need to go buy a fucking new xbox.
Unfortunately, yes, but do you NEED HDMI? Probably not, as you'll get an excellent image from component or VGA.

-you have to use an overpriced microsoft harddrive.
Definitely a negative

-you have to use the xbox wireless earpiece instead of just being able to use the same one you do for your phone.
agreed, but do you need a wireless headset?

-oh and also my ps3 doesn't overheat like a bitch and break all the time.
Neither does my 360.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
PS3 hands down.
The games that are "only brought out on xbox" eventually come out on the PC better or dont go onto any other console because they arent very good. I dont have either but I hate mates who have bother and the genereal thing ive found is that xbox 360s are exteremly unreliable, sure there will be PS3s which have problems its impossible to not have the occasional unit without a fault, but the occurance of faults in the 360s is high not only in the people i know but the general trend ive found with researching which one i want to get and its seems that xbox 360s are riddled with faults especially that red ring of death problem, everyone i know who has a 360 has had that problems, hell my friends had to send his back twice and a few months, but the people i know with PS3s are happy with them and have had no troubles. Also i find the xbox controllers extremely uncomfortable, unappealing and unlogical

stazi

Nightman
HSC
axlenatore said:
PS3 hands down.
The games that are "only brought out on xbox" eventually come out on the PC better or dont go onto any other console because they arent very good. I dont have either but I hate mates who have bother and the genereal thing ive found is that xbox 360s are exteremly unreliable, sure there will be PS3s which have problems its impossible to not have the occasional unit without a fault, but the occurance of faults in the 360s is high not only in the people i know but the general trend ive found with researching which one i want to get and its seems that xbox 360s are riddled with faults especially that red ring of death problem, everyone i know who has a 360 has had that problems, hell my friends had to send his back twice and a few months, but the people i know with PS3s are happy with them and have had no troubles. Also i find the xbox controllers extremely uncomfortable, unappealing and unlogical
re: 360s being unreliable, you're talking about launch models. the current models have the heatsink fixed and have failure rates probably identical to the ps3.

Yes, whilst some xbox 360 exclusives eventually come out on the PC (read: a year ago, often longer), many identical games run worse on the ps3 at present.

P.s. it's illogical ;) Xbox 360 controllers are uncomfortable for you because you're probably not used to them. I found the ps3 controllers all those attributes you discussed until I got used to mine.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
axlenatore said:
PS3 hands down.
The games that are "only brought out on xbox" eventually come out on the PC better or dont go onto any other console because they arent very good.
:lol::hammer:

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
stazi said:
Yes, but controllers are also cheaper. $69AUD vs. $94.

Not everyone uses wireless. The PS3 in itself is more expensive than the xbox.
PS3 acts as a blue ray player which is far superior than the Xbox failed format that it supports. Therefore if you want a crappy xbox360, go ahead its fine because its cheaper. But even if you don't wanna play games choose PS3 because it plays Blueray and is an extremely cheap player.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
the price of controllers is thanks to the fucktards known as sony australia who seem to have forgottent that 'holy shit the australian dollar has increased in value in the last 10 years' you can import them for like $60 (it'd be easier to just buy it in store though).

and yes hdmi does make a noticeable difference.

count yourself lucky if your yet to have an issue with your xbox, one of my friends went through 6. I am the only person i know personally that bought one of the original 360's and hasn't yet had to send their xbox away.

stop compensating for the xbox's shortcomings with some justification about not needing stuff... do you even need a games console in first place then.

if you add up all the add on's for the xbox (that come standard with the ps3) they are a similar price.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ronnknee said:
PS3 acts as a blue ray player which is far superior than the Xbox failed format that it supports. Therefore if you want a crappy xbox360, go ahead its fine because its cheaper. But even if you don't wanna play games choose PS3 because it plays Blueray and is an extremely cheap player.
Yes, it's brilliant because it's also a blu-ray player, but only a small % of people will benefit from having a blu-ray player.
Hagaren said:
the price of controllers is thanks to the fucktards known as sony australia who seem to have forgottent that 'holy shit the australian dollar has increased in value in the last 10 years' you can import them for like $60 (it'd be easier to just buy it in store though).
Same thing applies for Xbox 360 controllers. Just got some mega cheap ones from play-gaysia

It makes a difference, but not a massive one. But yes, again, I agree that not having HDMI at launch was a mistake.

count yourself lucky if your yet to have an issue with your xbox, one of my friends went through 6. I am the only person i know personally that bought one of the original 360's and hasn't yet had to send their xbox away.
stop compensating for the xbox's shortcomings with some justification about not needing stuff... do you even need a games console in first place then.
The PS3 is good for me, as I'm someone who uses blu-rays as I have a 40" Full HD TV, and I use wireless internet, as all four ports of my router are taken up by my parents' computers and a server. However, I'm not the average consumer. Would you advocate that all laptops should have bluray drives in them, without the choice for the consumer to go without at a price discount?

if you add up all the add on's for the xbox (that come standard with the ps3) they are a similar price.
Yes, but again, it's a stupid comparison. You don't need all of those add-ons. I personally do, but the average gamer does not.

Oh and something which hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that new aussie ps3 models don't have backwards compatibility! That's completely retarded given how amazing the ps2 catalogue of games is

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
again with the justifications... its really simple the ps3 is a better system.

microsoft have a better games catalogue.

badquinton304

HSC
stazi said:
re: 360s being unreliable, you're talking about launch models. the current models have the heatsink fixed and have failure rates probably identical to the ps3.

Yes, whilst some xbox 360 exclusives eventually come out on the PC (read: a year ago, often longer), many identical games run worse on the ps3 at present.

P.s. it's illogical ;) Xbox 360 controllers are uncomfortable for you because you're probably not used to them. I found the ps3 controllers all those attributes you discussed until I got used to mine.
The failure rate has been cut in half but it is still too high for comfort at 16%.

The issue of which console has better games is purely based on opinion.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
badquinton304 said:
The failure rate has been cut in half but it is still too high for comfort at 16%.
where is that 16% rate from?

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
ronnknee said:
but i do want to play games and i made it clear that i couldn't give two fucks about bluray. many gamers don't. if you want a bluray player then by all means go with the ps3, but if you don't care for games and only want to use the ps3 for a media centre then it's not feasible to say that it's a cost effective player. the thing uses up a lot of energy for one thing, and something by, say, samsung can be bought for $200 cheaper and be superior because it's a dedicated bluray machine.

Hagaren said:

only those in the know actually do import. the average shmoe walks into a retail joint and buys a controller. that being said, you can get an xbox 360 controller and play and charge kit imported for cheaper than an imported ps3 controller.

everything related to video games is marked up exponentially here in australia, that goes for xbox 360 controllers as well so there goes your arguement.

hdmi makes a noticeable difference at full hd, no shit. the fact is, though, most games crafted for the xbox 360 AND ps3 aren't even made at full high definition, they just end up upscaled. with the popular 26 and 32 inch sizes, you're not going to notice any visible difference between component hd and hdmi. sony haven't even released any component hd cables, now that i think of it
Hagaren said:
agreed

Hagaren said:

this....makes no sense at all. not everyone's a hardcore gamer, not everyone wants their kids to be online or wants to be online themselves, not everyone needs the features that the ps3 has straight out of the box.

and yeah, i do need a gaming console. that's why i chose a 360, because i honestly think it's a better console. deal with it :uhhuh:

all in all you're the one pointing out the 360s shortcomings. you actually haven't said anything really good about the ps3 at all ;). and you've admitted it yourself, the 360 does have a more impressive library at the moment and if you can honestly say (especially now with e3 past) that the ps3 is going to catch up to the 360 library within the next one or two years, i'll try not to laugh in your face.

Garygaz

HSC
I have a PS3 and I love it. I have to say though, I think it's a tad ahead of its time. I can see the Xbox 360 taking the market share for the next year and capturing big titles. But, in say 2 years, the PS3 will 'reign supreme' over both the xbox 360 and Wii when developers adapt more to its complex game development and can use its extra (at the moment redundant) power.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/playstation-3-is-best-bet-for-the-future-kojima-nomura

Article pretty much backs my little theory. Also, I don't think people will want to dump their DVD libraries soon, so in about maybe 1.5-2 years I think we'll start seeing Blockbuster and big stores SLOWLY sourcing out DVDs and buying more blu-rays.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Garygaz said:
I have a PS3 and I love it. I have to say though, I think it's a tad ahead of its time. I can see the Xbox 360 taking the market share for the next year and capturing big titles. But, in say 2 years, the PS3 will 'reign supreme' over both the xbox 360 and Wii when developers adapt more to its complex game development and can use its extra (at the moment redundant) power.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/playstation-3-is-best-bet-for-the-future-kojima-nomura

Article pretty much backs my little theory. Also, I don't think people will want to dump their DVD libraries soon, so in about maybe 1.5-2 years I think we'll start seeing Blockbuster and big stores SLOWLY sourcing out DVDs and buying more blu-rays.
this article dates back over two years. and we all know Nomura (squenix big gun) has well and truly caved, if anything at this current moment sqenix is actually backing the 360 because of infinite undiscovery and star ocean (both at the moment are exclusive) as well as last remnant and of course final fantasy xiii

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
stazi said:
Yes, it's brilliant because it's also a blu-ray player, but only a small % of people will benefit from having a blu-ray player.
It's a small number now but just you wait. Anyway its far bigger than that format Xbox supports, i cant even remember its name anymore.

Garygaz

HSC
runtlocks said:
this article dates back over two years. and we all know Nomura (squenix big gun) has well and truly caved, if anything at this current moment sqenix is actually backing the 360 because of infinite undiscovery and star ocean (both at the moment are exclusive) as well as last remnant and of course final fantasy xiii
As I said, yes, the 360 will have the market share as well as games and developers for the short-medium term (1~2 years) though when full HD games with higher performence graphics, larger amounts of data and in need of more processing capabilities, the PS3 will be the console to service this.

I think it will ultimately be the Bluray that wins it for the PS3. If by now it had been HD DVD that had taken the market share, there wouldn't even be threads like this as the PS3 would be a dead console with the format on which it risked so much being dead. But, it won, and in a couple years time when the general populus have large HD televisions, they will be wanting Bluray players and the obvious option (as well as cheap) is the PS3, as it has so many different functionalities. Also, the gaming population, who also love watching their movies, when choosing to buy a Bluray player will most certainly buy a PS3 as it is a gaming console + Bluray player, what more could they want?

Yes you are correct, Xbox is currently doing better, I don't deny it, but in a few/couple years time, things WILL definetly be looking very different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)