The Official French Continuers & Extension Speaking Exams 2005 Thread - POST IN HERE! (1 Viewer)

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
My HSC speaking exam is listed for 10th September, a saturday, at Chevalier.

Can you guys tell me what sort of protocol to expect?

Do they give you preparation time? Are you just plonked in with an examiner and they start asking questions, or are you given anything, ANYTHING to sort of start moulding answers from (like a context, say just visiting France or a job interview) or are they just random questions?

Are the questions derived solely from the topics of personal identity, relationships, school life and aspirations, young person's world, leisure and interests, daily lie/lifestyles, arts and entertainment, travel and tourism and world of work? Or is it normal of them to throw just anything in?

Also, will anybody else be doing their speaking down in Bowral? If so, we can hang out together. Get chips or something.

chepas

HSC
leetom said:
1) Can you guys tell me what sort of protocol to expect?
What will happen is you will eventually get to a desk to register yourself, for that you will need that letter they sent you AND PHOTO ID!!! Then they will give you a card, on which is written your student number, course, date etc. On this card there will also be a number - this is the order in which you will be called. So if you are number 44 in your group (ie, the 9am group, the 11am group, the 1pm group and the 3pm group), you will be the 44th person called in your particular group.

After you'll called you will probably be in a cluster of people whose numbers are close to yours (42, 43, 45, 46...) and will be lead to rooms, outside of which you will then wait and bite your fingernails bloody until you are eventually called in. Before you go in MORE people will process you - wanting to see your card, and giving you a cassette which you will hand to the examiner.

leetom said:
2) Do they give you preparation time? Are you just plonked in with an examiner and they start asking questions?
Short answer, no. The format of the Continuers exam is that it is just a conversation, so it is really a random choice for the examiner (and depending what they're like and what mood they're in, it's even more random and pot luck! But the vast, vast majority are really nice). After you have been given your cassette, your number and identity has been checked in quadruplicate and the traditional rituals have been observed, you are allowed to go in for the kill. The examiner will be like the clairvoyant that you see on Mornings with Kerri-Anne - very calm, collected and have that airy feel about him/her that is guaranteed to make you relax. HERE is where you will have time to familiarise yourself with the surroundings etc. The examiner will probably try to make you calm down, depending on how you enter the room (kicking and screaming, trembling, nonchalant...). Then you'll sit down, a few seconds of "How are you? Don't worry it'll be fine!".

Then, they'll say some sort of formal spiel which I have now forgotten. They WILL ask you if you prefer to be addressed as 'tu' or 'vous', but in general if you talk to them, answer in vous only.

They will then check the cassette to make sure that MI5 has not tampered with it in order to spy on the vast gold reserves hidden in your exam venue. They will actually record, but this first bit is not the real thing. Ah, now I remember. I think they go "French Continuers Speaking Exam, 2005. Please state your student number" - you state your student number. Then they stop the tape, rewind, and do the anti-MI5 test I mentioned. If all goes well you will hear what you just said. The examiner will give you a last 2 seconds to breathe before the fiery pits of hell open, press record, and then say "The examination will now begin".

The VERY FIRST QUESTION will be something hopelessly inane. Mine was "Est-ce que tu aimes le sport?". Which was lucky cos the Athens Olympics were on at the time and I launched into a tirade about how I loathe sport, which then allowed me to gasbag about my muso life. :D. See how easy it is to change the subject and move into a different direction?

Other favourite openers from my trials/practices: Tu regardes souvent la télé? Qu'est-ce que tu aimes faire pendant ton temps libre? and Qu'est-ce que tu veux devenir?

Allow me to backtrack a bit for the next question:
leetom said:
Are you given anything, ANYTHING to sort of start moulding answers from (like a context, say just visiting France or a job interview) or are they just random questions?
You are not given anything. No paper nor pen, nor valium. As above, they start asking you random questions. BUT they will be very easy, basic questions. Nothing too hard like "Est-ce que tu crois que la marge brut d'autofinancement du budget nationale est en train de baisser ou est-ce qu'il faut encore une augmentation d'impôts pour mieux faciliter la croissance économique?".

The examiner will ask you their Question of the Day, and in the first few things will utter, s/he will go from there. But it's up to YOU to drive the conversation! The fewer questions they ask and the less they intervene, the better, cos it means you are communicating pure gold and that they are understanding what you say!

The preperation for this - basically, just talk to yourself. Get to know yourself, because as you know the topics, they are all about the Young Person's World. It's ME! ME! ME!, the topic about which you are all experts. If you have things you like and dislike, things you would like and would not like to happen you should be set.

leetom said:
Also, will anybody else be doing their speaking down in Bowral? If so, we can hang out together. Get chips or something.
Unfortunately I didn't get sent to Bowral, and I'd be up for chips if I didn't have to go to a house warming!

Have I forgotten anything?
Above all, bonne chance! You'll all be fine. J'ai confiance en vous!
chepas :D.

chepas

HSC
Sorright, I'm trying desperately to procrastinate cos I have a huge music assignment due tomorrow ;).

There really is nothing to worry about :). And from what the Beginners seem to have experienced they sound like they are being a lot more relaxed with the exams, so maybe the examiners will be even easier on you.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
good...the beginners share a class with me so I'll ask them how it was
I prefer the continuers format to the beginners tho, for Italian I have to do those lame situations as we all conversation...
get back to work chepas!!!

chepas

HSC
WOOO finished! And have ink all over my hands (stupid woman makes us write it out with foutnain pens :S).

Yeah, the Continuers format is a lot better and a lot freeer, but only if we are at that level lol! I was perfectly content with doing my lame guided conversations in German last year :D They were nice.

Hey - did you ever get your clash thingo sorted out with your French and Italian thingos? I have this petit souvenir of you having a thingo with that... (technical language late at nighte, scusi).

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Merci Chepas, j'aurais oublie ma photo sans vos informations et maintenant je sais de prevoyer une question bizarre pour commencer.

(Is that gramatically ok in french, to say 'I would have forgotten' using 'have' in the conditional but 'forget' as passe compose? I just translated it directly from english to french, however I'm not sure if it's proper or whther 'J'oublierais' would have sufficed.)

Also, is '..une questions bizarre pour commencer' alright? My french is so dodgy.

chepas

HSC
mel - didn't you have an issue with like, either your Ital and your French exams being reeeally close together or on the same date (for speakign..) or something, with the exam dates? I can't remember, I'm getting old :S.

leetom - j'aurais oublié = conditional past/conditionnel passé. You used it fine ;). Also can follow be followed with a 'si' clause, that means - J'aurais oublié de venir si tu m'envoyais pas un sms.

To predict is prévoir - conjugated just like voir with the prefix.

Re making you listen to your trials: That is excellent! You learn so much from hearing yourself! Cos after you hear yourself saying something stupid and a huge mistake it reeeally sinks int hat you're getting it wrong, then you magically/psychologically make sure that you won't make that mistake again. That was the good thing about correspondance, you had to listen to yourself all the time lol.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
chepas said:
mel - didn't you have an issue with like, either your Ital and your French exams being reeeally close together or on the same date (for speakign..) or something, with the exam dates? I can't remember, I'm getting old :S.

Re making you listen to your trials: That is excellent! You learn so much from hearing yourself! Cos after you hear yourself saying something stupid and a huge mistake it reeeally sinks int hat you're getting it wrong, then you magically/psychologically make sure that you won't make that mistake again. That was the good thing about correspondance, you had to listen to yourself all the time lol.
There was another chick who had continuers French & Ital on the same day
I have Italian one week after French :)

Yes I just sounded like an idiot and I sat there thinking...I dont deserve my mark LOL
Arg and I did the grandest of stuff ups in Italian yesterday I said "Si" when I meant IF grrrr Si in Italian is yes and "se" is if but si in French is if...grrr

bc2005

HSC
ohh, im feelin really nervous about this now. anyone else going to Gordon?

HSC
N/A
Juste une petite remarque. La phrase " Je serai d'attendre une question bizarre au début " n'est pas correcte. Pour un français elle n'est pas compréhensible. Je pense que la phrase correcte serait : " Je m'attends 'a' une question bizarre pour commencer (ou " au début") "
Le 'a' devant s'écrire avec un accent grave.

If this can help ...

Sugar

HSC
My french class right now are practicing 'curly' questions that they might ask you in exams, which I am terrified of!

I don't want to sit there and stare at the examiner in stunned silence. :S

Did you get asked any questions that put you off, Chepas?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The weirdest one I have come across *never have been asked it but was given it for preparation*

Quelle disposititions spéciales y-a-t-il dans ton l’ècole pour les ètudiants qui ont des difficultés d’apprentissage ?

I don't even know the answer in English LOL

How are you guys preparing?? I hope I am doing enough, bascially I am learning some answers and phrarses for the common questions and a friend of my teacher is comming in to practice...oither than that...

chepas

HSC
Sugar said:
Did you get asked any questions that put you off, Chepas?
I remember doing that practice day thing at PLC, I think I was talking about, or had just finished going on about my future career plans/aspirations (which was/is - secondary music and LOTE teaching), when the examiner goes "Lorsque tu t'intéresses a` la musique est-ce que tu crois que c'est bon pour la santé?" or something like that like "est-ce que tu crois que ca te fait du bien?" or something like that you'd actually sit down and think about! I'd also just become familiar with the word lorsque at that time and so that was even more off putting than the subjective and philosophical question lol...

mel re your question: omg. Just "Il y en a pas. Mon école se fout de ces étudiants. Elle fait jamais rien pour les aider. En règle générale elle est nulle, mon école." and then rant about how bad it is cos they never help anyone, or something like that, simply because - how the hell would we know how to talk about methods of learning and teaching in French!! Like you say mel, can't even do that in English! So givign a negative response to some tough questions might be good, cos then you can sort of (repeat, sort of!) avoid dealing with the actual topic, and slide casually along to the cricket or to the weather or the price of eggs.

MarsBarz

HSC
I am dreading ext speaking. My class has done very very little practice.

miz imp

Eep. Saturday is now two Practice Days Away. J'ai peur, et vous?

I really want to listen to those sample answers - the ones that show different bands. I can't seem to find them on BoardOS or BoredOS. Are they just in the standards package on the school comps. or am I just blind?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)