The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (2 Viewers)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Well Carrick was very important to the Spurs team, however, he ain't doin anythin spectacular at United.

Looks like Fergie lost it in this game, how can you not start wit an out of form Rooney up front alone...? And Fletcher, honestly, that guy only plays one good game every 3 months, Fergie should get a reality check and realise that his pet really ain't good enough for the team. Heinze, Richardson and Neville too had shockers, terrible performance overall. Consecutive disappointments in the league, all the good work at the start is now undone.

We need Hargreaves, Carrick isn't naturally a holdin midfielder. He's more effective when he's allowed to run forward.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
hachoo said:
Riise's Goal truly spectacular, and the 2nd goal was a little contraversial with the offside rule.

Chelsea and Arsenal yet to score after half time.... against Fulham and Shef. United respectively
No tap-ins for Riise, its always got a be a screamer from way out :D

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
I'm starting to think that way myself, but we still have Lennon and Berbatov to come back, so there maybe good times ahead.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
That miss by Jenas wasn't as bad as Bellamy's in my opinion, Bellamy had the luxury of team mates following up though. Although it still was a terrible miss, both Jermaine's not having great starts to the season

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Jenas always seems to have the worst misses, remember last season's miss against Newcastle after roundin off Shay Given only to shoot into the side net.

hachoo

HSC
You can't critisise Heinze, Richardson or Neville. They aren't regular starters and its hard for a player to adapt to EPL football without valuable game time. Heinze has been pushed out of the squad with Evra and Vidic i think...

True about Riise. Haven't seen him score inside the box yet lol

matt#1

HSC
N/A
hachoo said:
You can't critisise Heinze, Richardson or Neville. They aren't regular starters and its hard for a player to adapt to EPL football without valuable game time. Heinze has been pushed out of the squad with Evra and Vidic i think...
:confused: Heinze and Neville aren't regular starters?!? They are both certainties to make the starting side when fit...and have by no means been pushed out of the side. They have simply both been suffering injuries of late.

Fergie's favoured defensive line-up would be as follows...and both of those players would definitely feature;

------------------------------------------------Van Der Sar-----------------------------------------

--------------------Neville-----------Ferdinand----------Vidic--------Heinze-------------------

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I hope you're kidding about Neville, he's the captain for gods sake. I don't think Heinze has fully recovered from that injury last year

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Manchester United v Benfica on SBS @ 4:30am. I'll watch it if I can manage to wake up at such an ungodly hour.

I'm hoping that we can beat Benfica this time around. In particular, I am hoping that Rooney can recapture the sort of form that he showed against Fulham in the premiership opener. I think that Ronaldo will have a big game tomorrow morning against the Portuguese side.

I'll predict: Manchester United 2-1 Benfica

hachoo

HSC
bazookajoe said:
I hope you're kidding about Neville, he's the captain for gods sake. I don't think Heinze has fully recovered from that injury last year
Neville gets injured too often and Heinze is still recovering like you said. Man U will have to make do with what they have. I think Brown and Ferdinand would do great in Centre.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
ah, sweet revenge for Man United. We still looked a bit disjointed in attack, but it was a win nonetheless. Louis Saha's goal was brilliant...but Wayne Rooney was simply appalling. I really hope that he can get back to his normally very impressive self sooner rather than later. Damn FA for handing out that 3 match ban!!! He has been in bad form ever since returning from that suspension...and it threatens to derail our awesome start to the premierleague season.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
So anyway, BOLTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!! First to score and defeat Portsmouth, away to them no less :D:D:D

hachoo

HSC
Apparantly Ronaldo had a great game. Giggs and Rooney both have lost a bit of form since their 'rests'. How nice it would be to have them in that form with Ronaldo's current form.

Real Madrid needed a big win, and they got one. Ruud and Raul with doubles... they look pretty good.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I saw Crouch's scissor kick "wonder strike". He still looked a bit unco...bit it was a fantastic goal nonetheless. Crouchie is turning into a goalscoring machine!!!

Liverpool's defence is still a bit suspect though. They were 3-0 up before conceding 2 goals. Daniel Agger is a very promising defender (and has an amazing left foot)..but I still think that they are missing the presence of Hyypia in the centre of defence.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
It looked unco because he's like 20 foot, still an awesome goal.

cimbom

HSC
They broke through Galatasaray's defence completely esp. with the third goal. All four of our defenders couldn't mark Crouch... sometimes Tomas just can't keep up, they were completely frozen, Mondragon seriously could do nothing to stop how fast #3 was, which was really awesome.

Galatasaray's problem today was that they focused too much on defence, and even so didn't defend effectively. Even with one main- striker and three potential assists behind, it's not enough. We need two. It should have been Umit Karan/Hakan Sukur from the beginning... where Umit Karan came through with two very very nice head shots only at the end, it was almost too easy for him to get it through especially with assist from Arda Turan. I really don't get how it could be so easy to score two in 6 minutes, after how hard we were trying the entire match to actually make a shot on target, it's like we woke up only when we started to lose hard. Which means we need to attack/defend consistently, especially when we dominate possession as we did against liverpool.

We have too many problems at the moment with the way our team plays together, esp. with Umit Karan only recently coming out of injury (from being galatasaray top scorer in domestic league 05/06), we'll see what happens with psv eindhoven and later in istanbul against liverpool again. galatasaray played really well against a very strong liverpool though imo.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
cimbom said:
They broke through Galatasaray's defence completely esp. with the third goal. All four of our defenders couldn't mark Crouch... sometimes Tomas just can't keep up, they were completely frozen, Mondragon seriously could do nothing to stop how fast #3 was, which was really awesome.

Galatasaray's problem today was that they focused too much on defence, and even so didn't defend effectively. Even with one main- striker and three potential assists behind, it's not enough. We need two. It should have been Umit Karan/Hakan Sukur from the beginning... where Umit Karan came through with two very very nice head shots only at the end, it was almost too easy for him to get it through especially with assist from Arda Turan. I really don't get how it could be so easy to score two in 6 minutes, after how hard we were trying the entire match to actually make a shot on target, it's like we woke up only when we started to lose hard. Which means we need to attack/defend consistently, especially when we dominate possession as we did against liverpool.

We have too many problems at the moment with the way our team plays together, esp. with Umit Karan only recently coming out of injury (from being galatasaray top scorer in domestic league 05/06), we'll see what happens with psv eindhoven and later in istanbul against liverpool again. galatasaray played really well against a very strong liverpool though imo.
A Galatasaray fan, eh? Thats something different in this thread...but it's good to see someone supporting someone other than a top English, Spanish or Italian club for a change:) .

I watched the game and would have to agree with much of what you said. Galatasaray put up a pretty impressive performance against what is one of the top club sides in Europe. They could have won the game but for a few costly lapses in defence and near misses up front.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)