The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=70804

Kewell okay for World Cup - AAP

Photo AAP

Related Stories
>>Kewell out for two weeks 14 May 2006

Harry Kewell will miss the Socceroos' upcoming friendly with Greece after yet again breaking down with injury in a major final, but should be ready for the World Cup.

Kewell suffered a recurrence of his chronic groin injury in the FA Cup final, which Liverpool won over West Ham, with initial reports being that he bizarrely sustained the strain running out of the tunnel for the second half.

Liverpool's victory may have provided some succour for Kewell, but personally it was a blow for the Australia winger, who was aiming to make the final a compensation for his brief part in last year's Champions League final.

On that occasion his suspect groin forced him off during the first half against Italian giants Milan.

In an uncanny twist, both times the Reds were trailing when Kewell was forced off, both times they rallied in the second half to force the match to 3-3 and extra time, and both times they prevailed in the penalty shoot-out.

After the match, Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez confirmed the injury was a recurrence of Kewell's long-standing groin affliction for which he desperately sought remedies in the last off-season when he underwent surgery.

"Harry Kewell will be out for two weeks but I think he will be fit for the World Cup," Benitez said.

"I think it is an adductor."

"The doctor does not think it is serious, but for him it was a really bad thing because it was another final and he is going to the World Cup."

Australia plays Greece at the MCG in Melbourne on May 25 with the Socceroos to go into a training camp from May 21 ahead of that friendly.

The Socceroos first match of the World Cup in Germany is against Japan on June 12.

Kewell started the match on the left side of midfield as Liverpool began with an orthodox 4-4-2 formation.

He was a peripheral figure for much of the half, and after West Ham went to a 2-0 lead, he switched with Djibril Cisse and went in to a deep-lying forward role supporting Peter Crouch.

There was an indication Kewell was struggling early in the match when he received a relatively mild challenge from behind yet got up very gingerly and wincing.

He played the opening three minutes of the second half before being replaced by Fernando Morientes.

Kewell was the fourth Australian to play in an FA Cup final - after Joe Marston, Craig Johnston and Tim Cahill - and joins Johnston with a winners medal, with both doing so in Liverpool red.

Cahill will also miss the Greece game with a knee injury, with Socceroo players already beginning to arrive in Australia over the weekend and the days ahead before the training camp in Melbourne from May 21.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Haha im a bit late but neway, Liverpool FC: FA Cup Winners 2006! :D

Wot more can u say abt Stevie G...hes saved us again..wot a player, wot a captain.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Let's just hope he and Lampard can reproduce the goods for England in the WC :D

HSC
Yeah and if Gerrard stays in such great touch England's so-called striker problem won't be an issue, just give Gerrard free reign in the midfield and let him work his magic. What do you reckon the odds are for Steven Gerrard getting Golden Boot? Its tempting

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
For the latter part of the season, Lampard has been quite simply, as the English would say, 'pants'.

Gerrard for golden boot? Pretty unlikely, seeing as how England will struggle to make there way past the QFs again at best. But yes, it's nice to see him finally getting some of the recognition he deserves on this board :p

France squad has been named:

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes).

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United), Pascal Chimbonda (Wigan Athletic), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (Monaco) Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus).

Midfielders: Vikash Dhorasoo (Paris St Germain), Alou Diarra (Racing Lens), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Florent Malouda (Olympique Lyon), Patrick Vieira (Juventus), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid).

Strikers: Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Franck Ribery (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord (Olympique Lyon).

You know your team has gone to shit when Jean-Alain Boumsong is consistently called up. Interesting also that Domenech's selected as many forwards as MFs. Their centre midfield looks very solid as always with Makelele and Vieira, and Zidane is still up there with the best in the world. What's interesting though, is the lack of quality in wingers. Malouda is very good, yes, but where's Giuly? Pires even? I'm guessing that the likes of Cisse, Ribery (he'll be pushing Ronaldinho for the best and ugliest award in a few years) and Wiltord will find themselves pushed wide when they get a game. Still, Giuly would be very disappointed to miss out.

Last edited:

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Pires had a falling out with Domenech during the qualifiers didnt he? Dont think hes played for Les Bleus since...maybe Giuly did as well, very surprised hes not in the squad.

Meanwhile, Chelski r set to unveil Ballack on Monday...he was jeered by Bayern fans in his last game for the club on the wkend.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The French have an abundance of good forwardz, Govou ain't even in there, just showz you how talented they are. I'm surprised Cisse iz in there, I would personally choose Giuly over him.

And the Dutch squad also out, no Davids, Seedorf or Makaay, but to my own personal disappoinment, no Huntelaar. :(

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Fuck it, I decided to hit academy (im in canberra now) and missed the game!!!! I I had a great night, but it sounded so good...

Jimmy_B said:
he's basically carried the scum through the champions league. no keeper has commanded their area better this season, and he's made less mistakes than any of the other top flight keepers, despite having a young makeshift back four in front of him. he's also ousted the gorrilla as the german number one. despite being an a-grade cunt he's a world-class keeper without question, but then again it's no surprise three united fans would rate van der sar that highly and think lehmann's a lemon.

as for edwin, he's a good keeper but i don't think he's all that he's cracked up to be, he makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't come out and collect or sweep up as well as lehmann or robbo does. the only thing robinson has against him is that he can be sloppy distributing and needs to work on his decision making at corners and free kicks, but considering his age he'll be a star for years to come. being dutch myself i have no particualr bias against van der sar, but even out of our own keepers i reckon maarten stekelenburg is around his level and could be number one in the near future.
Sorry to bring up an old post Jimmy, but Ive been quite inebriated since thursday and didnt get a chance to respond. Did you infer that I was a United fan? I feel quite offended now, especially as from memory you have accused me of such an act before. Lehmann has indeed been good this season, but I cant stand his habit of trying to be the centre of a game, especially when the game will have such players as Henry in it. A keeper should only be the star of a game by making spectacular, significant saves, not by crying to the ref for a foul every time another player comes within a yard of him, or holding the ball for longer than six seconds and covering it because of feigned injury. As a keeper, Ive always been a fan of Edwin, not just for shot stopping ability, but also because he is decisive with marshalling his back four and yet does not carry on like a git. I still think the best shot stopper in the EPL is David James.

Interesting calls with international squads- disappointing to miss Makaay from the Dutch sqaud, but he hasnt been in fine form since coming back. Fuck Ballack, I cant believe he sold his soul to the devil. Shit I hope Germany crash and burn in the cup now. I hate all their players (except for Podolski, who will probably sign with Munich any day now Ballack is going to leave.)

Oh and Terry Butcher will sign on as manager of Sydney FC. Great signing, he has done well with Well. That concludes my 3AM rant :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Well, if Henry gets injured, you can bet your life on Cisse starting a couple of games, for his pace if nothing else. He's also scored more than his fair share of goals this season, considering that he's played at RM whenever he's had a start.

Jimmy_B

HSC
this is scary

if even two of these five signings come off then no matter what the other 3 big clubs do they've wrapped up the title next season.

@bJ: anyone who loves keano that much must at least be a closet united supporter.

and, no giuly, pires or anelka in the france squad? boumsong instead of mexes? hahahaha, early exit for the frogs this time around.

dutch squad looks alright, no opdam is a surprise, but heitinga is excellent too. with cocu and van bommel we probably don't need edgar or seedorf. should get to the last 8 with that team.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Gettin both Sheva and Eto'o seemz impossible, although it doez look very worryin that Sheva wantz to leave Milan. Wit Ballack already a blue kunt I'd hate to see another world class player end up at the shithole Bridge. We prob need Steven Gerrard just to compete wit em if thatz whatz goin to happen.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Lampard and Ballack in the centre of midfield for Chelsea?

They've already almost won the Premier League in 2006/07, on that alone.

I think the post about the French National team should be moved to the World Cup thread?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Lampard may, just may actually find his bitch ass on the bench next season, depending on how Essien performs. As long as Makelele's fit, he'll play, and the Chelsea midfield can accomodate only 2 of Lampard, Essien and Ballack. I'm not too worried about Ballack, he's a luxury that they didn't need.

Sheva, Tevez or Eto'o would be the death knell for the other top 3 teams' title aspirations though, yes.. and it looks like at least one of Tevez and Schevchenko are definitely signing on.

Jimmy_B

HSC
Frank Rijjkard said:
The people in the street keep asking me to bring home the Champions League. I tell them 'just watch'.

It's much easier for Wenger. They'll just play counter-attack and play in their own half waiting for us to make a mistake. We're the ones that have to go and play attacking football.
haha. not sure how true that is, but it's pissing a lot of gooners off. onya frank! show the cunts who's boss!!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
if even two of these five signings come off then no matter what the other 3 big clubs do they've wrapped up the title next season.
I knew that they already sealed Ballack and were chasing Shevchenko....but Eto'o, Tevez and Roberto Carlos as well:burn: . Someone really has to assassinate that Abramovich bloke.

- L1n -

HSC
When ur that rich 250 mil means shit all, But as if they'll get eto and sheva, i'm not even sure they will get any, yes they have money, but so does Man U, cept the difference is one spends smartly and the other just spends cos they have the raw cash. But then again drogba is a ***. Tevez, for the amount of money the Brazilian club wants i rather go sheva or eto, atleast they r proven in europe, Tevez may good, but change of scenary does not gaurantee success, look how Denilson turned out.

I personally would like to see VN get sld for about 25+ mil, then have Ferggie make a bid for Adriano or a proper replacement for giggs. Park is good, but his better in central, the likes of Vicente would be nice, Joaquin.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
- L1n - said:
I personally would like to see VN get sld for about 25+ mil, then have Ferggie make a bid for Adriano or a proper replacement for giggs. Park is good, but his better in central, the likes of Vicente would be nice, Joaquin.
Forget about Kieren Richardson? I think he's a decent prospect to learn in Gigg's shadow.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
copious said:
Forget about Kieren Richardson? I think he's a decent prospect to learn in Gigg's shadow.
I agree, Richardson does look like a good prospect. He has a very powerful shot on him too. I don't really think that the wingers are our priority at the moment...nor is the defence. Firstly, we need a quality defensive midfield player in the Roy Keane mould. We will also need to invest in another quality striker if Van Nistelrooy leaves.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Park ain't good playin centrally, hez effectively playin on the wingz. But I love hiz workrate and commitment to every ball. Damn I just love that guy fo some reason, the only Korean player I actually like.

I don't think there would be anythin happenin much in the transfer market until after the World Cup.

Well in newz no one carez about Glen Roeder iz now the manager of Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)