The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
cant believe viera bagged V'rooy like that when he played with pires for so long :eek:

Crazy Horse

HSC
OMG HOW GORGEOUS WAS GARCIA'S GOAL! GOT IT ON TAPE AND WATCHED IT LIKE 50 TIMES TODAY. AND MY XABI? IT'S BEAUTIFUL! <3 <3. :D

<3 My Anfield men! COME ON BOYS! WIN THE NEXT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Attention: LMF^^ - this is a LONG story so BEWARE. You might wanna skip it ;)

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Perhaps you females are so ignorant.
Don't insult my intelligence. I am not ignorant. You are.

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Yes, but playing for England/France= $$$$$. Do you think Becks would make so much if he was Australian?
Yes. He is "sexy", married to Posh Spice and has a decent free kick. The money for him comes mostly from Asia and the people there FOLLOWED HIM from United to Real to wherever the hell.... And people there are fanatical about football and support their own countries. I don't think they give a flying &*%% ^$# about which country he comes from so long as he is easy on the eyes and appears to be a good footballer. NONE of my close females friends would be able to tell you that Beckham is the England captain but they could ALL tell you – "he's cute, a "soccer" player, married to Posh spice and he's a cheater!" Some of my male friends would be able to tell you he is footballer and supposedly "a looker" but nothing more. EVERYONE knows who David Beckham is - even if they dont know his position in the English team and just about EVERYONE knows that he is supposedly very, very sexy.

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Yes I did and I think I said this in similar terms. But it doesnt matter in terms of my Keane/Vieira arguement. Lets get things simpler:

Keane was right in saying what he did.
He may not have been correct in his statement.
But under the circumstances, it was fine.
Keano's Irish decision and Vieira's French/Senegalese decision are not related.
Your right – lets make it simpler. Two ways to approach this:

1. If we DO NOT consider circumstances – then Keane is hypocritical. And I am right.
2. If we DO consider circumstances – Keane was acting like a downright prick and my original statement about him being out of line applies.

me said:
He was acting like a complete jerk there and I think those comments were out of line
And I am right.

So either way – I am right. My thesis behind my second point is below.

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Keane chooses not to play for Ireland- to protest, for the eventual betterment of his country
Viera chooses not to play for Senegal- to be a "traitor".

Differences in circumstances? Check.
I was born overseas and came here young. When we versed my home country a while back - I backed Australia. Why? CAUSE MY TIES HERE ARE STRONGER. It is the same with Viera and France.

Did Veria play for Sengal and then change to France? Or did he begin his footballing career at an international level WITH France? His family moved to France when he was 7. Played for their U17 and U20 team before shifting to the senior squad. He WAS 7 when he got to France – all he learnt about "the world game" was from the French.
Ohhhhh and one more thing - All the Senegal players from the WC came from one academy that is partly sponsored by the French. And who do you think pushed that decision?? He is also setting up academies in both France and Senegal partly OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET. Traitor aye? Bullshit – most people don't give him the applause he deserves.

He [Patrick Vieira] recalled: "In the French national team I was with Bernard Lama. He is someone who really talked to me and opened my mind about helping other people and doing something for my home country. I realised I can do something really special for them and, of course, when they talked to me about the project I was quite lucky because Senegal is one of the most stable countries politically so it was easy for us to do it there. But when they came to me with the project because it is everything I wanted to do - something for Senegal, something about football and something which I think is very important and that is education. The project has the three of these and I am very pleased with that. The education is really important because we know how difficult it is to become professional footballers."

In the summer of 2003, Vieira returned to Senegal for the first time since he had left with his mother as a young boy. He was there to promote the charity for which he is tireless in raising funds, a football academy for young Africans that values educational and sporting excellence in about equal measure. “My African identity is increasingly important to me,” he says. “When we left Senegal it was difficult at first to settle [in Paris], but at least the language was the same. You have left behind family, everything that you used to know, your friends, your habits, your African culture, your entire way of life. You don't know where you are going. But you also learn important things about yourself, you learn to become strong.

Reinforces that he did not feel strong ties. He might feel strong ties now but he didn't as a teenager and young adult.

You adopt your new countries way of thinking and their culture. You became a part of the country and integrate within its society.

“It was important for me to reconnect with Senegal, to go back and start a project there. I wanted to do something for the country and to use football - everyone loves football there - as a means to educate kids. They have to learn that only hard work can bring them success. At first there were kids at the institute who could not read or write. Now there is progress. They can read books and write stories - and then play football. We tell them how hard it is to become a professional footballer. Perhaps only one or two of them will succeed. That's why their education matters. We pay for them to come to university in Europe. They can then go back to Senegal to run businesses and to make a better future.

Backs my earlier statement about ties.

Traitor? He is helping advance his home country and its economy. He is giving the children of the country chances at a better life.

Don't be such a fuckwit and assume that Veira was/is doing it for the money. If that was so – I don't see why he stuck with Arsenal when he could have gone to Real a few years back when they offered him that ridiculous pay packet.
Do some quick research and ask around before you pay a player out for something that is so fucking serious and for something that is false. Take it from someone who has watched the country they have grown up in and the country they were born in play off in the sport they love - It is not fucking easy trying to figure out where your allegiance lies. Viera chose NOT to play for Senegal because he feels more attached to France. SO Keanes comments WERE out of line.

And Bhoy, yes, I am aware you stated earlier that Keane might have been misinformed but that backs my point. My point was that Keane was out of line. And he was.

Can you hurry up and admit I am right? ;)

Constip8edSkunk said:
bhoy pretty much said what i wanted to say. When keane quit he did not play for another team/country. He was still behind the irish cause.
I think I proved my point earlier in this post.

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Go out and get drunk. At least you would make me jealous :)
And go to work with a hangover? + it's not fun getting drunk on your own.

-----

Jimmy that is hilarious. As players I have nothing against either but I would prefer RVN slagging over Viera slagging simply because of the teams they each belong to. I havn't noticed RVN cheating? But I don't watch a great deal of United games....Anyone else vouch for Viera's comments or is he just bitter?

I have a few of their matches... I might watch them sometime this week and get back to you all........hahaha LMF are you feeling sorry for yourself?

Every time we played United, Gary Neville acted tough.

:D :D

I'm sticking that in my sig when I have time.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Crazy Horse said:
EVERYONE knows who David Beckham is - even if they dont know his position in the English team and just about EVERYONE knows that he is supposedly very, very sexy.
does anyone know his field position :confused: that includes mr sweden

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Crazy Horse said:
Don't insult my intelligence. I am not ignorant. You are.
I can see you are intelligent, which is why it confuses me that you are ignoring the circumstances. Thus, you are perhaps ignorant.

And I think you keep misunderstanding me. I dont poorly that Vieira chose to play for France rather than Senegal, never have I said that. I dont think he is a traitor, but I think that is perhaps what Keane was implying. And if he was implying this, it may not have been because he believes it, but because he wanted to put doubt into the mind of his opposing captains loyalty. I have simply defended Keane's statement, not because it was correct, but as a captain he wanted to defend his players, inspire them and intimidate the opposition.

This is perhaps the best evidence I can offer, courtesy of Vieira himself:

Jimmy_B said:
So that night I said to him: "Every time you foul the guys, I'm going to be watching you. If you do it, I'm going to sort you out.'

Yes, it was intimidation — but I hadn't planned to say it. Roy Keane got involved, which did not surprise me. He is their captain, so his job is to defend their players.

He told me to leave Neville alone and that if I had a problem, I should talk to him. I didn't have a problem with him. Keane was the toughest midfielder I did battle with in England.
If Keane was acting like a jerk, so does every footballer. If you dont like those manners, I would hate to take you into the dressing sheds of any football team in the world. A question: How would you have had Keane react to the circumstances?

Oh, and about Becks.

Crazy Horse said:
Yes. He is "sexy", married to Posh Spice and has a decent free kick. The money for him comes mostly from Asia and the people there FOLLOWED HIM from United to Real to wherever the hell.... And people there are fanatical about football and support their own countries. I don't think they give a flying &*%% ^$# about which country he comes from so long as he is easy on the eyes and appears to be a good footballer. NONE of my close females friends would be able to tell you that Beckham is the England captain but they could ALL tell you – "he's cute, a "soccer" player, married to Posh spice and he's a cheater!" Some of my male friends would be able to tell you he is footballer and supposedly "a looker" but nothing more. EVERYONE knows who David Beckham is - even if they dont know his position in the English team and just about EVERYONE knows that he is supposedly very, very sexy.
Beckham as an icon wasnt made by the millions of Asians who love him, nor his marriage to a failed pop star- it was made by the Old Trafford faithful. The lads in the stands created the legend of David Beckham. Then the bandwagoners (ie the majority) jumped on and thats why Beckham makes money. Because he was one of the lads of Old Trafford did he eventually get his chance for massive endorsements. Its the same for Owen and Fowler, who may not have generated the same mainstream hype, but the lads in the stands made these characters. I can see what you are saying, and Im sure Becks would still make a heap no matter what nationality. But would the movie been called "Bend It Like Beckham" if he werent English?

slip

HSC
Did anyone read the report in the sun herald that said uruguay has asked the ffa to allow them to change the kick off time in montevideo to 5pm. this is because the uruguayans havent been able to ensure a flight straight after the game thus they would arrive in sydney on tuesday morning where as australia will arrive in sydney on monday morning.

serves them right, they made a 9pm kick off to try and piss us off after we refused to move the game forward a day.

fucking brilliant they have cut off their nose to spite there face.

i hope the ffa says no. i cant help but feel uruguay is getting back what it gave to us in 2001.

i really know this could get me hurt, but im starting to get really confident australia can beat those bastards, everything seems to be falling into place at the right time.

!Solskjaer!

HSC
The best thing is, 9pm actually suits Australian players.

Yesterday's evening version of the Herald said Uruguay would arrive Sunday (maybe it was Monday, can't remember) if they caught a commercial flight?

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Crazy Horse said:
I have a few of their matches... I might watch them sometime this week and get back to you all........hahaha LMF are you feeling sorry for yourself?
I don't get it...? :confused:

Oh and Keane waz just simply givin it to Vieira cauz he waz bein a cunt to Gary, and he got what he deserved. It worked, and it showed on the pitch. Personally I think itz nothin mo than that.

slip

HSC
yeh 9pm suits the european boys well.

and the game is 10am sunday morning australian time. so the paper would have said the uruguayans would arrive monday morning. Australia is arriving monday morning. However uruguay were suppose to arrive then, but today I read that the flight they were going to be on no longer exists because a plane was not avaliable... hence then have to take the next commercial flight and arrive in sydney on tuesday morning, unless australia agrees to change the kick off time.

i doubt australia will change for two reasons. 9pm suits us to a tea, both in terms of playing temperature and getting into sydney. that and it doesnt suit uruguay at all.

slip

HSC
yeh 9pm suits the european boys well.

and the game is 10am sunday morning australian time. so the paper would have said the uruguayans would arrive monday morning. Australia is arriving monday morning. However uruguay were suppose to arrive then, but today I read that the flight they were going to be on no longer exists because a plane was not avaliable... hence then have to take the next commercial flight and arrive in sydney on tuesday morning, unless australia agrees to change the kick off time.

i doubt australia will change for two reasons. 9pm suits us to a t, both in terms of playing temperature and getting into sydney. that and it doesnt suit uruguay at all.

Crazy Horse

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
I can see you are intelligent, which is why it confuses me that you are ignoring the circumstances. Thus, you are perhaps ignorant.

And I think you keep misunderstanding me. I dont poorly that Vieira chose to play for France rather than Senegal, never have I said that. I dont think he is a traitor, but I think that is perhaps what Keane was implying. And if he was implying this, it may not have been because he believes it, but because he wanted to put doubt into the mind of his opposing captains loyalty. I have simply defended Keane's statement, not because it was correct, but as a captain he wanted to defend his players, inspire them and intimidate the opposition.
Yep. Misunderstood. I thought you meant the circumstances around Viera's decision and not the context of Keanes statement. hahaha - here I am thinking your an idiot. hahahhaa. Ok I agree with the above.

By the way - I'm putting that down to me being really tired after working all day :D

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
If Keane was acting like a jerk, so does every footballer. If you dont like those manners, I would hate to take you into the dressing sheds of any football team in the world. A question: How would you have had Keane react to the circumstances?
The exact same way. Like a downright "tough guy" who would beat the hell out of anyone who would even consider touching one of his boys BUT his statement was out of line. Thats my point. I think him chasing after Viera was throwing dignity out the window but I can understand why he did it. The problem that I have - is that statement makes Keane look like a jerk for the reasons I went on about earlier.

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Beckham as an icon wasnt made by the millions of Asians who love him, nor his marriage to a failed pop star- it was made by the Old Trafford faithful. The lads in the stands created the legend of David Beckham. Then the bandwagoners (ie the majority) jumped on and thats why Beckham makes money. Because he was one of the lads of Old Trafford did he eventually get his chance for massive endorsements. Its the same for Owen and Fowler, who may not have generated the same mainstream hype, but the lads in the stands made these characters. I can see what you are saying, and Im sure Becks would still make a heap no matter what nationality. But would the movie been called "Bend It Like Beckham" if he werent English?
Bhoy - wasn't this about Beckham playing for England and him making a lot of money because of that......cause I'm talking about the money Beckham makes now AFTER his already established.

And yes - it'd still be the same title. It's not "Bend it like the British Beckham" is it?

Anyways I'm glad you don't sound to offended by my last post. I'm not usually that bitchy. haha :D

@LMF^^ - Its got to do with the long posts you always tell me to shorten after I watch matches.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
holy mega essays battle batman, im gonna stay clear of this one :D

About "bend it like beckham" though, didnt they change the title when its released in the US?

^___^
HSC
i just like to take this post, to remind us the legacy the great Johhny Warren left behind.

Its been a yr since his death, yet it seems like he never left us. God how lovely will it be to let him see how much football have progressed since his death

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
^Hez watchin from Heaven, don't you worry.

And fuck yez, we beat the cuntz. I can sleep well now. :D

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Holy feck..................................
Everton 1-0 Middlesbrough, United 1-0 Chelsea, Liverpool winning away..
Have I woken up in ...........Bizarro World!?!!

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Crazy Horse said:
Yep. Misunderstood. I thought you meant the circumstances around Viera's decision and not the context of Keanes statement. hahaha - here I am thinking your an idiot. hahahhaa. Ok I agree with the above.

By the way - I'm putting that down to me being really tired after working all day :D
Oh, thats nice. :)

Crazy Horse said:
The exact same way. Like a downright "tough guy" who would beat the hell out of anyone who would even consider touching one of his boys BUT his statement was out of line. Thats my point. I think him chasing after Viera was throwing dignity out the window but I can understand why he did it. The problem that I have - is that statement makes Keane look like a jerk for the reasons I went on about earlier.
Well, if he looked like a jerk, you can blame it on the cameras in the tunnel. Perhaps they shouldnt be there, maybe there are some things we shouldnt see (ie this incident). I thought we were fortunate to be able to see it, but it obviously makes others think poorly of matchday mentality, so perhaps its best that its covered up. Im sure no player in the tunnel asked for that to be broadcast.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Lets put this behind us, I getting sick of it :) Too much recent football to worry about an incident in February.

Crazy Horse said:
Bhoy - wasn't this about Beckham playing for England and him making a lot of money because of that......cause I'm talking about the money Beckham makes now AFTER his already established.

And yes - it'd still be the same title. It's not "Bend it like the British Beckham" is it?
Yes, but I'm saying that it was how he was established as to why he became an icon to the extent he did. England is still the primary football market (even tho Asia is booming target), and they treat their players like royalty. Yes, he would still be raking it in as another nationality (as Kewell does) but he wouldnae get as much. And I think Juninho bends it more than Becks anyway :p

Crazy Horse said:
Anyways I'm glad you don't sound to offended by my last post. I'm not usually that bitchy. haha :D
Oh, I am VERY OFFENDED.... :D Haha, I think I give you too much respect. With who else would I argue with through precious study time over a geriatric Irishman and a French Arsehole. :)

Constip8edSkunk said:
holy mega essays battle batman, im gonna stay clear of this one :D
I would like to take this advice, but thats not my game.

... said:
i just like to take this post, to remind us the legacy the great Johhny Warren left behind.

Its been a yr since his death, yet it seems like he never left us. God how lovely will it be to let him see how much football have progressed since his death.
RIP Mr Football. If we qualify for the world cup, I cant wait to see the dedications to the great man.

Havent yet seen the Chelsea/ManU game, but Im VERY pleased with the result. Watch out, Chelsea, Wigan are gunna catch you! :D

Celtic are now 12 points ahead of the Huns. Hahahahahahahahaha....

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
knew roy keane was trying to motivate the players... and it worked. legend.

Johnny Warren...he'd be ecstatic at the improvements weve made... and he'll be with the socceroos in spirit in montevideo...

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
There's nothing quite like starting the week getting 5.am. messages from your London-based counterparts actually acknowledging Man Utd's. results. Just super.

Old Trafford was absolutely packed to the rafters and boy did they make some noise, the young and the not-so-young alike. We certainly didn't out-manoeuvre them in the quality stakes, but whose complaining. Lots of nervous moments, of course, the traditional gasp as the 4th official indicates the stoppage time.

So 13 becomes 10, and with a game in hand, we could find ourselves 7 behind if we pick ourselves up from here on in. Suddenly, the significance of the fixture against the Hammers next January has diminished, start back at zilch Chelsea.

Last edited:

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
But no matter what the Sky commentaters claim, Fletch did not try and score that goal.... he was crossing it back inside :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)