• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
copious said:
True about C Ronaldo, however it looks like he is growing out of it and next season I think he will be the player we all want him to be.
We will find before next season. He says that he is going to show his true potential in the World Cup.:)

johnny_87

HSC
He has always played better for Portugal than for Man Utd (at least on a more consistent basis). I think this is because he is much better suited to playing 'in the hole' as part of Portugal's 4-2-3-1.

I think it looks like this (excluding the defence):

-------Maniche---Costinha
Ronaldo------Deco-------Figo
------------Pauleta

If United had the right players for this formation (1 or 2 from it as we stand), we could get more consistent performances out of him. At Lisbon, he was more of a second striker than a winger in a 4-4-2.

I think Ronaldo will be one of the top 5 players of the tournament. Others I feel who should have a big tournament are Ronaldinho (obviously, although maybe not like everyone expects), Kaka, Messi, Riquelme, RVN and Rooney (if fit). Then there are guys like Totti and Gerrard who need to prove themselves at the World Cup.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
johnny_87 said:
I think it looks like this (excluding the defence):

-------Maniche---Costinha
Ronaldo------Deco-------Figo
------------Pauleta
Yep, that's pretty much Portugal's formation. I do expect Simao to be used alot in the Portuguese attack too though.

johnny_87

HSC
The best part about their new stadium is how all the Arse fans gave it to us Utd fans about 'selling out' when Glazer bought us (nothing we could do about it though).

Well who's the team who sold out with their stadium name? lol

Jimmy_B

HSC
manyoo sold their soul when they became a plc. they just paid for their sins when the yank took over their club. pity such a lovely stadium has to have such a tacky name though.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
- L1n - said:
Ur right they r not the same type of strikers, Ronaldo is an Henry kind of player while Ruud is ur typical gunner
haha thats funny

matt#1

HSC
N/A
- L1n - said:
whats funny?
what's funny is that you wrote that Ronaldo is an Henry-type of player and that Ruud Van Nistelrooy is your typical gunner. If RVN is a typical Gunner...and Ronaldo is like Henry (who is a typical Gunner :))...then the 2 strikers must be similar then? I understand what you meant though. You were saying essentially Ronaldo is a skillful striker, whereas RVN is your typical goal-poacher.

- L1n -

HSC
matt#1 said:
what's funny is that you wrote that Ronaldo is an Henry-type of player and that Ruud Van Nistelrooy is your typical gunner. If RVN is a typical Gunner...and Ronaldo is like Henry (who is a typical Gunner :))...then the 2 strikers must be similar then? I understand what you meant though. You were saying essentially Ronaldo is a skillful striker, whereas RVN is your typical goal-poacher.
yep thats exactly what i wanted to say guess i just chose the wrong wording lol.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
johnny_87 said:
14m for Carrick a bargain? Maybe for Chelski yes, but not for any other team out there. Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool probably don't have 10 players between them who would realistically fetch 14m pds.

Rooney, Ronaldo, Ruud and Ferdinand.
Henry, Fabregas and Cole
Gerrard and Alonso
I'd say it is a bargain.
Versatility: his solid defensive-MF performances, coupled with his very convincing attacking forays.
Comparisons: when it comes to the English Central MF pecking order, he's only got Lamps. and Stevie G ahead of him. Not bad by any means. He is similar to the role Scholes used to occupy at various times where he pulled the strings from the centre of the park.
Suitability: For starters, he's English. He's been around the EPL set-up and won't have major problems settling in, which gives him the distinct edge over Diarra/Gattuso/Mascherano. Plus, I'm guessing McClaren would be clever enough to draft him into the national team on a more regular basis. If Gerrard is given a more attacking role from here on in, or if they make do with the idea of having both Lampard and Gerrard in Central MF, Carrick could become a mainstay in the defensive MF positon.

There's more, but I'm being distracted by the Swannies at the moment. In essence, 14m quids, and a 4-5 year contract = a lot of future benefits for MUtd.

Last edited:

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Figured we'd move the Carrick thing in here.
According to Sky Sports, Spurs rejected a ten million pound bid from Man Utd for him, saying he'd cost twenty million (what a joke).

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=393830&CPID=8&clid=6&lid=4161&title=Spurs+shun+Carrick+bid
K, now 20 is bloody excessive. I read Jol said he'd entertain the idea of 8+RvN=Carrick. Sticking to the pure monetary value here though, I guess the 12m we got for Obi Mikel not having kicked a ball, that could come in handy.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
I'd say it is a bargain.
Versatility: his solid defensive-MF performances, coupled with his very convincing attacking forays.
Comparisons: when it comes to the English Central MF pecking order, he's only got Lamps. and Stevie G ahead of him. Not bad by any means. He is similar to the role Scholes used to occupy at various times where he pulled the strings from the centre of the park.
Suitability: For starters, he's English. He's been around the EPL set-up and won't have major problems settling in, which gives him the distinct edge over Diarra/Gattuso/Mascherano. Plus, I'm guessing McClaren would be clever enough to draft him into the national team on a more regular basis. If Gerrard is given a more attacking role from here on in, or if they make do with the idea of having both Lampard and Gerrard in Central MF, Carrick could become a mainstay in the defensive MF positon.

There's more, but I'm being distracted by the Swannies at the moment. In essence, 14m quids, and a 4-5 year contract = a lot of future benefits for MUtd.
The original source of the news on Carrick was www.4thegame.com, which is usually quite reliable. They have now removed the article for some reason. My announcement that United have captured Carrick may therefore be a bit premature. In any case, it does appear that Ferguson has definitely cited Carrick as the man to succeed keane. Anyway, here is the article:

http://www.4thegame.com/club/mufc/news/190505/united_swoop_for_carrick.html

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
K, now 20 is bloody excessive. I read Jol said he'd entertain the idea of 8+RvN=Carrick. Sticking to the pure monetary value here though, I guess the 12m we got for Obi Mikel not having kicked a ball, that could come in handy.
We get half of that 12m now, and half of it next season. So we haven't got everythin in our disposal atm. 14m fo Carrick ain't a bargain by any means, but I guess wit the current way things are done in the transfer market you can say it ain't a bad deal.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Another West Ham product (Michael Carrick) destined for big things. I hope theres a clause somewhere in his contract which sends some funds back to West Ham :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)