The Official Euro 2008 Thread (1 Viewer)

Peartie

HSC
we could go on forever and a day....just using the most recent Euro as an example here!

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
sunjet said:
um robbens was magic. the second goal should of easily been saved, fell asleep so didnt see the 4th though
Easily? I doubt it, strike seemed pretty powerful. Fourth one was great

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
:( France lost to the stupid Dutch.

lol at Italy drawing with Romania, Romania was the better team and Italy was just lucky, because the Romanian defence was weak at one stage that got Italy back to level the score.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Romania desvered win tbh. Mutu was unlucky not to score that penalty, that would have been good enough most times.

Italy are dog shit. Anti football no longer works.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Martyno1 said:
However, France (and probably Italy? I don't care about them enough to notice) has an excellent record against Spain, Spain never beats France and I'm sure they'd rather face the French again rather than Spain.
No clue?? They are roughly equal W/L in all games played, and Spain won their last game earlier this year..

No way Italy were lucky against Romania. They had so many blown headers early on. If you were watching at the time it would have seemed that it only was a matter of time before they started going in (Don't forget Toni's disallowed header aswell, no sure where the ref was placed but from the tv angle I'd easily call it onside).
Mutu's penalty was a piece of shit, dead straight 1m high? Expected more from him - was thinking top right

Re the Holland/Romania game, the (if romania win, holand first and romania 2nd) situation has been way overfactored in the price imo
I layed romania at 2.06 after the italy/france game - currently holland 3.05, romania 2.2, draw 4.2
I think romania are still way to short, will drift to 2.4+ before kickoff I reckon.
I'm not buying any of this conspiracy bullshit. Obviously holland will rest a few players (heard this morning VDS will be rested too), but I doubt they will lose on purpose "strategically" - perhaps they won't exactly bust their balls trying to win the game, but not lose on purpose.
This isn't some dirty italian 2nd division, it's international football and if holland obviously deliberately blow off the game it wouldn't be wise imo (reaction would be huge)

Donadoni and marco played together for awhile in milan, and I think if there's any dirty shit going on holland (at least marco, maybe not the players..) will push for a win against romania help get italy through and let them have a shot against Spain. - Might be a bit of value in Italy 3.85 to qualify from the group

Peartie

HSC
its not the ref that calls it usually....the person that calls offsides are in the best place to call it - the assistant who is in line with the 2nd last defender so 95% of the time an offside call is right...i havent seen it so couldnt tell you in that example but 95% of the time the assistant will get it right....

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Peartie said:
its not the ref that calls it usually....the person that calls offsides are in the best place to call it - the assistant who is in line with the 2nd last defender so 95% of the time an offside call is right...i havent seen it so couldnt tell you in that example but 95% of the time the assistant will get it right....
I highly doubt its 95%. Just about every game there is a few dodgy offside calls, and when u think about the total offisde clals in the average game, there isnt that many.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I put $20 on Romania to win the tournament. :D

And come on Switzerland, get me a draw and do your nation proud! :)

Peartie

HSC
blakegman said:
I highly doubt its 95%. Just about every game there is a few dodgy offside calls, and when u think about the total offisde clals in the average game, there isnt that many.
most of the time offsides are correct its just unlearned people have no clue about the offside rule they think they know it but dont - then again im biased i am a ref...

speaking of people thinking they know the rules - JUST BECAUSE IT IS LAST MAN DOES NOT MEAN ITS A RED CARD DAMNIT!!!!

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Peartie said:
most of the time offsides are correct its just unlearned people have no clue about the offside rule they think they know it but dont - then again im biased i am a ref...

speaking of people thinking they know the rules - JUST BECAUSE IT IS LAST MAN DOES NOT MEAN ITS A RED CARD DAMNIT!!!!
Oh i'm talking first class matches like EPL and Internationals. when We can see the replay.

In park/local footy i would say the refs and linesmen still get it wrong a bit but players tend to complain even when they are clearly offside.

Depends what grade u play, last week i got called offside in my own half (wtf?) and then called offside because i stole the ball off the last defender from behind (wtFx2?)

Peartie

HSC
blakegman said:
Depends what grade u play, last week i got called offside in my own half (wtf?)
ok that shouldn't be offside

blakegman said:
then called offside because i stole the ball off the last defender from behind (wtFx2?)
depends on the phases of play etc - generally not but if u took the ball after it had been played by your team mate to him and had only just hit the opponent then yhes ur offside.....

but even with "contentious" calls alot of the time the commentators etc call it offside when its not.... take the example of the italian/netherlands much...Ruud Van clearly onside....

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Peartie said:
It is if the last defender denies the opposition player a goal scoring opportunity, but that's for the ref to decide.

Peartie

HSC
yes if its an OBVIOUS GOAL SCORING OPPORTUNITY its a red...but if the last defender is on the halfway line its njot a red

if the player thats fouled is running on an angle toward the corner flag its not a red

in the end its up to the ref...but since its purley a last man foul doesnt make it a red card!

/rant

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Sometimes i go for the spectacular last man bring down and because the fields are so hard in my area i only end up powning myself because you can't slide.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
shannonm said:
No clue?? They are roughly equal W/L in all games played, and Spain won their last game earlier this year..
Before this year (a friendly, which meant hardly anything and neither team named their best side) the last time France lost to Spain was in 1981.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
blakegman said:
France 2000
France were completely dominating international football since 1998 until a while after the Euro 2000 tournament, you can't say that wasn't deserved!

eddie101

HSC
Martyno1 said:
France were completely dominating international football since 1998 until a while after the Euro 2000 tournament, you can't say that wasn't deserved!
I agree - up until around 2002-03 they were the most dominant.
who do you guys think will win the games tonight??

Czech Republic - Turkey
Portugal - Swizerland

I think the turkey - czech republic game will be the one to watch

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
The Czechs should come out firing and win.
Switzerland and Portugal, I think, will end in a draw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)