The Official Big Day Out 2006 Thread (stickied?) (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
The Official Big Day Out 2006 Thread

Big Day Out 2006; the countdown.​

3 months left.​

It's about that time of year again when rumours start flying about Australia's biggest (and IMO best) music festival. With acts from NOFX to The Waifs gracing its stages, BDO always tries to vary generic expectations with this year Slipknot and Le Tigre playing at the same time. As such, it is always subject to a wide range of rumours as to who is actually going to play! This post is an attempt to set things straight.

Also, as it's Mecca for most young adults, anyone care for a massive, eponymous BOS meetup? I figured if we met in Sydney, we could take a section of the main stadium for 30 mins and chat, eat crappy food and pay Kangaroo out...I'm pretty sure Stas and Breaking could make out, too.

The BDO clock ticks closer and organisers have made their first official list (5th Oct), but they continue to stress that unforeseeable events could occur between now and the big day which could prevent some acts playing.

This year, the theme of the day is 'scrapbook', reflected by the site's collage of past BDO symbology. But also, as Jay Walley has reitterated, by the acts - many having already toured Australia.

The Acts (as of Oct 5th):

- The White Stripes
- Iggy & The Stooges
- Franz Ferdinand (!!! - in response to this act all organisers have been told to expand the capacities of their main stadiums and securityD)
- Kings Of Leon
- The Mars Volta
- AFI
- Sleater-Kinney
- The Magic Numbers
- Soulwax
- 2MANYDJs
- The Living End
- GERLING (sp. properly)
- Dei Hamo
- Magic Dirt
- Cut Copy
- End of Fashion
- Faker
- The Grates
- Youthgroup
- Wolf & Cub

My predictions on the reason for ticket price hikes has been confirmed with this great release. Whilst debate may be held as to the worth of The White Stripes and the infamous Iggy Pop (not an editorial, a petition has begun), this preliminary line-up looks to be spelling out a great day.

You can purchase tickets here: http://www.bigdayout.com/tickets_outlets.php, or
Be sacreligous and post onto the BDO forums here: http://forum.bigdayout.com/

N.B* As this is predominately an Australian community, this list ommits NZ-only acts and press releases.

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Gee, I was really hoping to see Jesse.

Nah, sounds alright. I'd like to see The Pixies, Mars Volta, Gorillaz, Daft Punk, Garbage and My Chemical Romance. How much are they planning to put me out, ticket-wise?

wanton-wonton

HSC
No, this doesn't deserve to be stickied.

The Pixies? Haven't heard from them in a while...

Why did you post The Pixies twice?

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Current estimates (as of a leaked email) are putting the tickets at $10 more than last year - however much that is.

That means an extra $10 x a fuckload of people.

Either that money is going to pay for more insurance or there is going to be a fuckload of good music. Also, they've said they're thinking about another 2-day event for Sydney; so we all need to go to the same day.

As for Wanton, you're just bitter you got shutdown in the userpic thread. This does deserve stickerdom.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Gavrillo said:
As for Wanton, you're just bitter you got shutdown in the userpic thread. This does deserve stickerdom.
I'm always bitter. :)

I said it because no past BDO threads have been stickied, why should this be any different?

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i'll be working behind a bar at BDO somewhere
i know someone who is a big manager down there homebush, i'll let u guys know any info i can string out of her

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Gavrillo said:
...I'm pretty sure Stas and Breaking could make out, too.

So, heregoes. Welcome to BDO2k6; the countdown.

Confirmed to play:

- Seether
- Greenday
- My Chemical Romance

Rumoured to play:

- Red Hot Chilli Peppers (strong)
- Mudvayne (Said they would last time they were in Aus)
- AC/DC (In January they said they would play next year)
- Slayer (strong)
- Mars Volta
- Gorrilaz
- Audioslave
- Garbage
- Marilyn Manson (Apparently to play in Australia is the new cool for the dark/ind music scene)
- Franz ferdinand (New album)
- KoRn (Unlikely)
- Beck
- The Pixies
- Weezer
- Kings of Leon
- DAFT PUNK

Definately not playing:

- Bloc Party ("We won't be coming back to Australia in the near future")
- Coldplay
- Oasis
- Killswitch Engage
- Jesse McCartney
add sparta to that rumour list as well...
id go just for sparta and the mars volta
im also keen for beck and the pixies as well.... i was hoping someone like thursday, brand new or taking back sunday could have made it out, damm

Gavrillo said:
..I'm pretty sure Stas and Breaking could make out, too.
clearly gavrillo i am involved in every bos meetup, ill be there

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
im SO there....

last year my parents told me we were goin to be away on that day so i didnt get tickets...then they changed their minds

so while my friends went to BDO, i stayed at home in my dark room with my bdo05 cd on repeat...

i so didnt cry

*sobs*

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
mr_brightside said:
im SO there....

last year my parents told me we were goin to be away on that day so i didnt get tickets...then they changed their minds

so while my friends went to BDO, i stayed at home in my dark room with my bdo05 cd on repeat...

i so didnt cry

*sobs*
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA.

sigh..

i'm there too. i've never actually gotten around to goin :p so i should try next year :D

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i read an article saying franz hoped to tour early next year, that suggests bdo time :) green day would be good, as would the mars volta, and the pixies

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
* Added Sparta

mr_brightside said:
im SO there....

i so didnt cry

*sobs*
This year, you mean?

It was so glorious this year - Slipknot, System, Beastie Boys.

I just hope that Daft Punk plays, they are the fucking sex.

Today I heard that Gorrilaz live shows are all done behind a skene and that their concerts are all animated. True?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yeah i'd go for mars volta, daft punk, sparta and the chili peppers. seeing the chili peppers live would be teh awesome.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i so wanna go! spesh for the Chilli Peppers, My Chemical Romance and Greenday

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)