The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

mecurial

HSC
mecurial said:
If Italy win the WC, Cannavaro will win the Golden Ball. If France win the WC, and Zizou plays well, then he will win it.
Oops. Just found out that the winner of the Golden Ball is voted on, and presented, before the final in Berlin.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Breciano was tipped to move to Palermo, not sure what happened to that.
Also the modesty battles have begun, with Del Piero stating that France are favourites. I hate it when players do this, as when they win they just go OMG LYK WE WERE UNDERDOGS!! It's utter crap and nobody actually cares, just play the stupid game.

On another note, Kahn is starting against Portugal.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
bazookajoe said:
On another note, Kahn is starting against Portugal.
Good to hear. He always looked so sad on the bench watching Germany play. Lehmann did do a good job though. Kahn is a legend:) . (Hopefully he lets at least one Ronaldo goal in though).

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
Matt#1, Gattuso would be a good signing, assuming he adapts well to England/EPL. In any case, hopefully MU get him, but not at the expense of teams getting relegated.
Sendimental towards Italian clubs...? Damn I couldn't care less if Juve and Milan get relegated if we can snap up the likes of Gattuso and Cannovaro, that'll only mean that the Italian league will only get more interesting, good for the game really.

If Ronaldo leaves United, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE will wanna murder him. Luis Figo II, I hope that doesn't happen.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Ballack is not playing against Portugal due to a leg injury, and it's old news but Nesta isn't playing in the final.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
FIFA WC 2006 All Star Squad :

Goalkeepers
Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Jens Lehmann (Germany), Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders
Roberto Ayala (Argentina), John Terry (England), Lilian Thuram (France), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal)

Midfielders
Ze Roberto (Brazil), Patrick Vieira (France), Zinedine Zidane (France), Michael Ballack (Germany), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Gennaro Gattuso (Italy), Francesco Totti (Italy), Luis Figo (Portugal), Maniche (Portugal)

Forwards
Hernan Crespo (Argentina), Thierry Henry (France), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Luca Toni (Italy)

Some of them are arguable, in italics.

Notable omissions I think:
C. Ronaldo
Ribery
Maxi Rodriguez
Lucio
Robben

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
history says it will be a goal-laden third place play-off

sorry if someone's posted this already.

kahn < lehmann in my view :eek:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
C'mon Portugal in the 3rd place playoff!! Perhaps the Germans will have more motivation though considering that they will want to win it for the home fans.

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
Brazil has only one weakness... FRANCE!

And every soccer team other than Australia and possibly the african teams have one weakness... their hugely obvious fall-taking getting yellow carded. Not that that happens terribly often that is.

Anyone else staying up to watch the game this morning? I thought it was on at 3 so I stayed up, then found out it was at 4:30, and figured I was up late already so I'd keep going. And look where I ended up!

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Paragon said:
FIFA WC 2006 All Star Squad :

Goalkeepers
Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Jens Lehmann (Germany), Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders
Roberto Ayala (Argentina), John Terry (England), Lilian Thuram (France), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal)

Midfielders
Ze Roberto (Brazil), Patrick Vieira (France), Zinedine Zidane (France), Michael Ballack (Germany), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Gennaro Gattuso (Italy), Francesco Totti (Italy), Luis Figo (Portugal), Maniche (Portugal)

Forwards
Hernan Crespo (Argentina), Thierry Henry (France), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Luca Toni (Italy)

Some of them are arguable, in italics.

Notable omissions I think:
C. Ronaldo
Ribery
Maxi Rodriguez
Lucio
Robben
I don't think Robben deserved a place in it, didn't really do much in my opinion. I think Ze Roberto is only in there because Brazil made it to the quarters and they needed someone from Brazil in the team. Perhaps the same with Terry?

Haha and what the hell was Ronaldo trying to do with that little trick? Completely fucked himself up there.

EDIT: Hahaha and there's Ronaldo at it again, even getting a good hard look at the ref before hitting the ground

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
What a freakin' goal!
Schweinsteiger finally getting a goal :D

EDIT: What a game by Schweinsteiger. I can see him in a big move in the near future

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
bazookajoe said:
What a freakin' goal!
Schweinsteiger finally getting a goal :D

EDIT: What a game by Schweinsteiger. I can see him in a big move in the near future
Yeah BIG move to Chelsea. I think Bayern is already a big enough club.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Schweinsteiger NAILED it. What a second half performance by a man who, apart from that, has pretty much flattered to deceive this tournament. He's been solid without being spectacular, but he changed all that in twenty-two minutes of madness.

Portugal's goal was all class, Figo delivered a world-class cross. Congratulations to him on a sparkling international career. His lasting regret will probably be that the Golden Generation failed to deliver a World Cup in 1998 or 2002. Especially Korea/Japan, when they really had one of the top two or three teams on paper.

Was disappointed that in a match which didn't really mean anything, Big Phil decided to still play with only one striker .. that being a disappointing Pauleta. Should have played Nuno Gomes more during the tournament, he did more in 20 minutes than Pauleta and Helder Postiga did all World Cup. Deco looked brilliant again this morning .. why couldn't Australia somehow have convinced the Brazilian that he wasn't Portuguese either? :p

Whilst France vs Italy looks to be an overly defensive game with the final scoreline either 1-0 or 0-0 and penalties (where France would win, Grosso blasts over the bar to finally lay some Australian demons to rest :)) .. it does at least provide a more intriguing contest than Brazil vs Germany in 2002, where everyone knew the result before kickoff.

On the downside, in about 20 hours, there won't be any more World Cup Finals action for four years. That makes me cry :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)