The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
The commentator didn't know what to call it, he goes "I have no idea what Barthez is doing".

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I'm watching the replay now, Portugal are an absolute joke. They fall over anything that they can see themselves getting a free kick over, referring specifically to Postiga and Pauleta. I'm sure there's more, but those are two that were very obvious to me

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The one where he tripped over was hilarious, Scolari jumps up and starts abusing the ref when he falls over himself

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The Henry dive really triggered the portuguese into action (relentless diving) in search of a penalty to get even. Prior to that it was the French who dived the most. Ironically, even with all their diving tradition the Portuguese players weren't diving in the the decisive moments - they couldn't pull off a Grosso or an Henry.

Jimmy_B

HSC
there was enough contact from carvalho to justify a penalty, despite henry's theatrics. definite cast-iron penalty. people should get over it.

Jimmy_B

HSC
the fact that they could make a 5 minute highlights package from one game says it all. glad portugal are out. thanks for kncoking england out but still absolutely despicable.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Henry's was a definitely a penalty. When you flail your legs like that and actually make contact from the ground, it will always be a penalty.

I think Portugal were worse offenders and have been this whole tournament. They were looking to fall everytime a player got near them and for fucks sake, Figo needed a stretcher to get to the sideline for a drink of water. That's a fucken joke.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Komit said:
Henry's was a definitely a penalty. When you flail your legs like that and actually make contact from the ground, it will always be a penalty.

I think Portugal were worse offenders and have been this whole tournament. They were looking to fall everytime a player got near them and for fucks sake, Figo needed a stretcher to get to the sideline for a drink of water. That's a fucken joke.
Figo has been a joke all tournament.

He has played poorly the whole way through. Which is a shame, because he used to be a brilliant player.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
there was enough contact from carvalho to justify a penalty, despite henry's theatrics. definite cast-iron penalty. people should get over it.
Definite cast-iron penalty? I disagree. There was very minimal contact between Carvalho and Henry which in any case, did not impede Henry from scoring at all. He stepped away from Carvalho's challenge and looked to chase after the ball before realising that it was slightly too far away from him. At this moment he chose to theatrically dive. Definitely not a 'cast-iron' penalty.

I am not in any way saying that the Portuguese did not take part in such acts of simulation. They were clearly the worst offenders in this regard and I am deeply ashamed of this. Rather than engaging in such acts, the Portuguese players should instead have focussed on putting the ball into the back of the net. I'm still proud of the boys though. Knocking out England and the Netherlands, and making the final 4 is certainly an achievement to be proud of.

The point of this post is to inform the multitude of Portuguese-bashers frequenting this thread that the Portuguese are not the only team that takes part in such simulation. This does not make it any better, but Henry in particular, has now won two games for France by engaging himself in such antics and should be condemned and criticised in the same way that so many of you are doing to Portugal.

I now look forward to the third place play-off against Germany and the announcement of Cristiano Ronaldo as the winner of the Best Young Player award.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
Figo has been a joke all tournament.

He has played poorly the whole way through. Which is a shame, because he used to be a brilliant player.
You are surely joking:confused: . Luis Figo was one of best players throughout the tournament. He was man of the match against Angola, and was generally one of our more creative players in every game. The only thing that he didn't contribute to our attack during the tournament was getting his name on the scoresheet. Admittedly, he didn't have one of his better games this morning and he should have scored that header from about 2 metres out, but this does not change the fact that Figo had a very successful farewell tournament for his country. Well done Luis Figo. You are, and will always be a legend. At least in my mind:) .

Jimmy_B

HSC
matt#1 said:
Definite cast-iron penalty? I disagree. There was very minimal contact between Carvalho and Henry which in any case, did not impede Henry from scoring at all. He stepped away from Carvalho's challenge and looked to chase after the ball before realising that it was slightly too far away from him. At this moment he chose to theatrically dive. Definitely not a 'cast-iron' penalty.
wow, you are blinkered....

*Minka*

HSC
I am so glad out tickets are for the 3rd place playoff instead of that shithouse final. Neither team deserves to win the WC.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
wow, you are blinkered....
Take off your blue, white and red sunglasses, and you might realise that it is instead you that is the one who is 'blinkered'. Still bitter about the Dutch exit at the hands of the Portuguese are we, Jimmy?:)

Jimmy_B

HSC
matt#1 said:
Take off your blue, white and red sunglasses, and you might realise that it is instead you that is the one who is 'blinkered'. Still bitter about the Dutch exit at the hands of the Portuguese are we, Jimmy?:)
not really, we've got the best young team going around. definite specials for the next world cup. i just had to point out that you were talking balls in that post. carvalho himself said he fouled henry, and funnily enough at the time i don't remember any of your cheats complaining too hard about it. they knew and it was a definite penalty.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Havent been here for 2 days. Quick summary of what I think:

1. Henry dived, even if he didnt it was still not a definite penalty.
2. Wouldve loved a Portugal vs Italy final for a long lasting beef i've had with portugal, but France are just as good as they've stopped Italy in the Euro2000 final and 1998 WC
3. *Minka*: its great you support your nation with passion, but your posts ooze of bitterness. Italy were a class above Germany and definitely deserve their spot there. France took out Spain, Brazil and Portugal - anyone with those credentials surely are world champion material. The way this world cup has been played, i dont think anyone else deserves to be in the final any more than the teams who made it do.
4. Forza Italia! Like i said before, most of the italian fans are not deterred by the criticism they've received. In fact, it has probably strengthened their cause, especially as its looking likely that Juve is going to serie C and the other three clubs are going to serie B. This squad is arguably one of Italy's best ever squads technically and whether they win or lose, they've done the fans proud and proven their doubters wrong.

*Minka*

HSC
acmilan said:
Havent been here for 2 days. Quick summary of what I think:

1. Henry dived, even if he didnt it was still not a definite penalty.
2. Wouldve loved a Portugal vs Italy final for a long lasting beef i've had with portugal, but France are just as good as they've stopped Italy in the Euro2000 final and 1998 WC
3. *Minka*: its great you support your nation with passion, but your posts ooze of bitterness. Italy were a class above Germany and definitely deserve their spot there. France took out Spain, Brazil and Portugal - anyone with those credentials surely are world champion material. The way this world cup has been played, i dont think anyone else deserves to be in the final any more than the teams who made it do.
4. Forza Italia! Like i said before, most of the italian fans are not deterred by the criticism they've received. In fact, it has probably strengthened their cause, especially as its looking likely that Juve is going to serie C and the other three clubs are going to serie B. This squad is arguably one of Italy's best ever squads technically and whether they win or lose, they've done the fans proud and proven their doubters wrong.
Oh no its not that - I just don't think France started playing well until they got past the first round and as a result, don't think they deserve to win. They may have beaten the uninspired Brasil, Le Grande Chokers Spain and a Portugal unable to finished, but I don't think they have truly been good - Zidane has been a star, but the team has failed to impress me.

Italy - yes, I don't like the way they took out Australia, but they are just not a team I enjoy to watch and I feel theya re too overdefensive, too melodramatic and again, not one of the best teams to be in the cup. It is not bitterness, just really would have preferred the Germany vs Portugal final.

Tyat said - I am glad to see that Italian fans are standing by their team in the face of criticism :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)