• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (2 Viewers)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
But it won't be that easy. This morning's penalty has caused such a varied opinion that playing it over and over and over again would never reach agreement. Even in the presence of technology, the referee is still using his or her own discretion which would not guarantee the satisfaction of everyone.

I don't think the problem is the refereeing at all. It is the ability of modern broadcasting to show us such detailed replays that is causing this divide. Everyone should get over it. Any referee is inherently biased and the better team will more than likely always play above this (except in extreme circumstances).

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
katietheskatie said:
AND AUSTRALIA WAS LIKE WTF MATE?!

I AM LE TIRED

WELL HAVE A NAP

THEN FIRE ZE FUCKING REFEREE

i am soooooo fucking livid right now
bwahahahaha :uhhuh:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
sweet_as said:
I'm now supporting England and Germany
Supporting England and watching their games, is the most frustrating thing Ever.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
hey do you guys reckon there might be the slightest chance that they will re-consider the penalty? anyone?
No chance in hell.:(

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
I sort of think the refs were all against the Australian team in every match.

In the match against the japanese, we were lucky that the ref had the courage to admitt his mistake, or else :(

hey do you guys reckon there might be the slightest chance that they will re-consider the penalty? anyone?
1. The referee's admission had nothing to do with the final result anyway.

2. Reconsider ? I’d think there’s a better chance of a Germany v. Argentina final this year.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I know that we are all disappointed about what happened and what subsequently could have been....but there is soooo much unnecessary negativity in this thread. Yes, the penalty was a harsh call. Yes, Grosso is a diving cunt. Yes, we were outplaying one of the best teams in the world and yes, we were so close to the quarter finals.

...We can either rant on forever about such things or we can instead focus our attention to the positives. Over the past couple of weeks 'Aussie' Guus and the socceroos have created some of the greatest moments in Australia's proud sporting history and certainly the greatest moments in our football-related history. We should be proud of our boys and thankful to Guus Hiddink for getting us here in the first place. Well done Socceroos!!!! ...and thankyou Guus!!! :).

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Far_Q said:
Not to be negative and such but as much as everyone is saying that this will be the cornerstone to future success, I highly doubt it, the round ball game will never be the sport we will be great at, rugby league, afl and union will always be our top achieving sports.
Australia is good at Australian Rules Football? Get the fuck outta here, that's gotta be a joke!

Magister

HSC
N/A
About England, I totally agree. They are the most hyped, overrated and overexposed team in living memory. First, it was Beckham's foot (last WC), this time it's Rooney's foot ("will he, or won't he?"). It is as if the whole damn outcome of the Cup rests on this mindless little thug's nether extremity (then, I guess that's where his brains are, come to think!!)

When I was in Holland recently, all you got on the BBC and Euro sports channels was England, Sven's lineup experiments-and ROONEY!! I got to read all of the English newspapers and they were nauseatingly full of every little detail relating to the England players (makes our media look quite modest in comparison!). All of this for one of the most mediocre teams to make it to the last few World Cups. Go home, Poms!!!:bomb:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Paragon said:
Not true. Go back to my pre-Portugal v. Holland post.

That said, I hope someone puts England out of their agony, and sends them packing.
/Enter Portugal/.
Ditto. I said they could beat the poms and I still think they can.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
from memory didnt australia lose quite a few "international rules" matches to ireland in recent times? lol

england has only themselves to blame for picking only 4 forwards, including 1 that hasnt even experienced 1st team football at a high level, and another who is match-unfit.

england has always been overexposed in most english speaking countries relative to other nations. and in england the tabloids even worse. the way they have been playing so far, i hope they get thrashed by portugal.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Magister said:
About England, I totally agree. They are the most hyped, overrated and overexposed team in living memory. First, it was Beckham's foot (last WC), this time it's Rooney's foot ("will he, or won't he?"). It is as if the whole damn outcome of the Cup rests on this mindless little thug's nether extremity (then, I guess that's where his brains are, come to think!!)

When I was in Holland recently, all you got on the BBC and Euro sports channels was England, Sven's lineup experiments-and ROONEY!! I got to read all of the English newspapers and they were nauseatingly full of every little detail relating to the England players (makes our media look quite modest in comparison!). All of this for one of the most mediocre teams to make it to the last few World Cups. Go home, Poms!!!:bomb:
How is he a thug ?

And what exactly were you expecting from the British tabloids anyway ? They live Football there, and this is arguably the best XI they have ever sent to a WC.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
what971 said:
Supporting England and watching their games, is the most frustrating thing Ever.
It certainly has been somewhat frustrating to see England play below their potential in all of their games so far...but aside from Portugal and Australia...they are the only other team that I really like.

All of this goes out the window, however, when Portugal meets them in the quarter-finals. Ronaldo and Co are going to destroy England! The English fans, however, might see this as a good thing because it will end the constant misery they suffer as a result of having to support such an uninspiring team. Forca Portugal!!!:)

*Minka*

HSC
Even this morning, I have been out to get some brunch and a couple of things, wearing my Socceroos scarf and so many people have stopped me to say how much they think we were robbedf and desevred to go through. Cold comfort, but they have mentioned how much they lvoe the Aussies and to me, that is heartwarming.

I am hoping for Spain, Portugal and Germany now. I think Spain deserves its long overdue successes, I like the Portugese and this has been my favourite German team in ages. I love the way they can score goals now and will sing their anthem and be proud of themselves. 'Don't mention the war' layes so much in German culture, glad to see it start to change.

But Meh. MEH.

Lucas Neill, I love you. Not your fault. Ever.

Do you think we can get there in four years again? I will be gutted if it is 32 years again. I don't even want to THINK about it.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
>_<

It's through Asia next time.

Obviously they'll be there in 2010.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Portugal will still win imo.

I bet for England v. Ecuador, the way England played really ****ed me off. Never betting for England again.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
as long as the same structure remains we will be back again in 4 years.. we have to fuck up majorly in asia to not make it, 5 teams from asia right: australia, jap, korea, iran, saudi, and after that aussies must somehow lose to the likes of bahrain, kuwait, china, nth korea, uzbekistan etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)