• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
We should get 5 and half spaces right?? Isn't that why Asia accepted Australia?

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
Do you think we can get there in four years again? I will be gutted if it is 32 years again. I don't even want to THINK about it
Trust me, the socceroos will definately make it to the 1/ 4 finals in four years time. I've sort of calmed down lol and so yeah, I'm trying to think positive and shit.

In four years time there will be:
-more Australian supporters
-more confident players
-better players
-more experienced players
-they prolly know their weaknesses by now and so they have like 4 years to improve
-and if some of the players do retire, at the same time more 'young' and better players will join. and blah blah the list goes on n on.

man I'm still proud of the socceroos. They represented us internationally. All the other nations have prolly heard about us by now and how after 32 years, we returned with a an amazing team.

go the socceroos!! I'm going to continue wearing my socceroo scarf, jersey etc and you all should too.:)

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you Tim Cahill mwa mwa

p.s liked my long emotional speech, anyone?

Far_Q

HSC
Komit said:
Far_Q, it shows how much little you know about the sport in Australia. There are players well on their way to being better than this group of players. All they need to be is nurtured by a strong technical environment which I think the Socceroos' success may pave the way for. Don't look at the recent U17 failure because Ange Postecoglou is shithouse. Trust me. I have experienced the quality of youth football all around Australia and it definitely is promising. Even more interesting is that many of the top youth players in NSW and Victoria are coming from rural areas.

As for rugby league, AFL and union - they are highly unimportant in the scheme of global sport. Maybe union is played by more countries, but even that is monopolised by 3 or 4 nations. The real football is where it's at and Australia does have the potential to be great at it. Australia is ranked 42nd in the world, but they are easily the number 1 team in Asia and a top 15 in the world. Watch Australian football rise in the new Asian competitions and watch the youth flourish as less renowned players are given all-important caps at this top level.

Back on track with the World Cup (yes, it is still on):

I'm excited about France v Spain match - should be a cracker. I continue to stand by Spain. If they lose, I'm fucked.

Ghana could upset Brazil but expect them to start firing. What I would like to see more of is Juninho and Fred. They give the Brazilians a whole new dimension in atack (if that is at all possible).

Finally, interesting that 6 out of the final 8 are European nations. I sure hope we get a European winner - had enough of the Cup going to gyspsy nations.
Don't look at the current u17 failure?...ohhh so ur saying our next crop of great players are currently 10 year olds who will take another 15 years to make it through? lol...by then nations like Brazil, Argentina, Italy etc... would have produced new Ronaldinho's, kaka's, Messi's, but would we ever produce players of that quality?...

Look at our best player of all time, kewell...to be honest he is good but not even half of what Ronaldinho is...

Basically what i'm trying to say is we are not a nation that is gifted at the round ball game. We are always going to be good at cricket, union and swimming...and local sports afl, rugbby league...

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
what971 said:
We should get 5 and half spaces right?? Isn't that why Asia accepted Australia?
Pretty sure it's 5.5 places at the moment. Although, I did read somewhere that FIFA are looking into making that 4.5, seeing as only one Asian team out of the lot managed to make it to the 2nd Round this WC. And UEFA are also drumming this fact into FIFA's years.

Nonetheless, whatever the allocation, we should be in the Top three or four of the Asian Confed. anyway.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
:/

UEFA should fuck off. As if having the Euro/WC every two years isn't good enough, Asians only get this every four years.

Far_Q

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Experience nothing.

They took the win from a contraversial penalty in the last minute. Had nothing to do with the experience.

Also, umm......Tim Cahill ring a bell? At his age, it certainly seems he will be around for a many years to come. Aloisi isnt that old is he? Maybe Kewell and Dukes and a few others wont see the next World Cup, but to say that the team will be severely depleted by next World Cup (and wont be able to counter this) is a bit rich dont you think?

This isnt the FFA of a decade ago.
THe penalty is controversial but look at how they were able to shut us down after going down to 10 men...we barely had a good chance to test out Buffon, whereas they caught us on the counter attack several times looking more likely than us to score...

Look at how Bresciano let Grosso get through, experince defenders would of held onto the shirt and not let him through...look at how Neill fell down in the challenge, experienced defenders like Cannavaro would never slide onto the ground because it will look bad to the ref...

Tim Cahill will be 30 so he will be around, but at the moment he is playing some of the bbest footy of his life, Aloisi is in his 30's, Kewell's body is deteriorating and riddled with injuries, Dukes may give up on international football...Alot of the current players are late 20's early 30's...even if they continue 4 years down the track they are past their best...But the question is, whether their is another kewell in the production line...

Last edited:

- L1n -

HSC
Paragon said:
How is he a thug ?

And what exactly were you expecting from the British tabloids anyway ? They live Football there, and this is arguably the best XI they have ever sent to a WC.
Too bad they don't gel.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Speaking of non-fatty Ronaldo, he wants out of Man. Utd and into Real.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?...&lid=4161&title=Ronaldo+ready+for+Real+switch

And back to the World Cup, FIFA has stated there's no chance of Deco winning an appeal to play against England.
Depends on Real's presidency outcomes though. In any case, not a good sign for MU fans. :mad1:

I really used to berate Deco a couple of years ago but now that I've mellowed, I reckon his sending-off was pretty harsh. Not that FIFA would've overturned his suspension anyway.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I don't know how else to put this...

FUCK OFF REAL MADRID!!!! CRISTIANO RONALDO IS OURS!!!!

*breathes* I will be so pissed off if he goes. He and Rooney are the future of Man United. We must keep them at all costs.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
p.s liked my long emotional speech, anyone?
Loved it:) . Good to see that someone else in this thread is able to find some positive out of what was our greatest ever football related achievement by some margin.

- L1n -

HSC
matt#1 said:

*breathes* I will be so pissed off if he goes. He and Rooney are the future of Man United. We must keep them at all costs.

More like fuck off Ronaldo, it clearlt said he wants to leave, what do u think real is gonna do, blame ronaldo, what a traitor. I hope fergie reads that article and kick the sissy out of the team. Man UTD dosen't need players who dosen't wanan represent them, if he wants to go to Real then i say let him, theres always new talent coming in, Fergie showed us regardless of what player he has he'll always find a replacement. Just like how Ronaldo replaced bekham, if Ronaldo goes, someone will replace him simple as that. Traitor, i hope he never starts at real. Whats the point of keeping him when the player himself dreams about Real Madrid. You know what if Ronaldo does leave i hope Man UTD cash in on him, atleast 30mil, not like last time when they fully got ripped off by selling Beckham at such a low price.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i cant believe that one stupid decision would screw us up so bad. All the bad calls by the have eventually became our downfall. he shoudl be fired for that!!

But even with that call, being one man up for most of the second half, we should of scored (and im sure with another half and hour we would of), and geting in the situation of man on man in the last minute was stupid. at least we got further that we were expected to go (showed that USA coach, who said we would be the first to go). we werent given a chance in out group, so to make it to 2nd round is good. but still, stupid ref :(...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
matt#1 said:

More like ManU has no future.

:)

EDIT: Though I'd rather see them win the league than fucking Chelsea again.

Jimmy_B

HSC
- L1n - said:
More like fuck off Ronaldo, it clearlt said he wants to leave, what do u think real is gonna do, blame ronaldo, what a traitor. I hope fergie reads that article and kick the sissy out of the team. Man UTD dosen't need players who dosen't wanan represent them, if he wants to go to Real then i say let him, theres always new talent coming in, Fergie showed us regardless of what player he has he'll always find a replacement. Just like how Ronaldo replaced bekham, if Ronaldo goes, someone will replace him simple as that. Traitor, i hope he never starts at real. Whats the point of keeping him when the player himself dreams about Real Madrid. You know what if Ronaldo does leave i hope Man UTD cash in on him, atleast 30mil, not like last time when they fully got ripped off by selling Beckham at such a low price.
hahahahhahahahahha. 30 mill for a player who says he wants to leave? you're delusional.

his comments probably have something to do with ruud wanting to stay at old toilet. replacing such a freakish talent as ronaldo straight up? good luck, you still havent replaced becks.

should be hilarious at the bernabeu next season. with cristiano and robinho there it'll be stepover central. like riverdance with footballs. probably drop below the scousers next season too :)

- L1n -

HSC
Jimmy_B said:
hahahahhahahahahha. 30 mill for a player who says he wants to leave? you're delusional.

his comments probably have something to do with ruud wanting to stay at old toilet. replacing such a freakish talent as ronaldo straight up? good luck, you still havent replaced becks.

should be hilarious at the bernabeu next season. with cristiano and robinho there it'll be stepover central. like riverdance with footballs. probably drop below the scousers next season too :)

eh i'm delusional? last time i checked Man UTD has no obligations in realeasing ronaldo considering he has like 3 yrs left on contract, so it's irrelevant if Ronaldo wants to leave or not, Fergie makes the decision. So unless real pays well Ronaldo will just have be a cry baby for the next 3 Years.

Ofcos we haven't replaced Becks, theres no many pinpoint passing players out there to begin with.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Someone from Real has stated that they will be shortly unveiling 2 players from Inter, and English player and a Portuguese one. I'm guessing that one of the Inter players will be Adriano. I'm lost as to who the English player might be. No prizes for guessing who the Portuguese guy is though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)