The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Miroslav Klose is my pick for best player of the tournament so far as well....but we will see if this changes. Argentina will well and truly provide a proper test for the Germans.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Final score. Brazil 3-0 Ghana. Africa's involvement in the World Cup is over. It was always going to be tough for them without Essien.

The Ghana players can, however, justifiably be proud of themselves for their performances throughout the tournament. They played each game with flair and attacking spirit. Their 2-0 defeat of the Czech Republic was especially memorable.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
withoutaface said:
Czechs played like shit after the USA game though.
I guess all those injuries and their lack of depth hindered them from playing their vibrant brand of Football post-USA though.

In any case, I guess the two best teams did make it out of the Group, and at the end of it all, I s'pose that's what you'd like to see anyway.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Czechs played like shit after the USA game though.
Even if the Czech Republic were 'shit' after the USA game...a defeat of the #2 ranked nation by an African side is highly impressive under any circumstances. Take nothing away from Ghana.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
I reckon the Africans did very well this tournament, special mention to Ghana and Ivory Coast.

Ivory Coast - finished behind Argentina and Netherlands. Very competitive in both matches.

Angola - finshed behind Portugal and Mexico. They acually drew twice, and lost 1-0 to Portugal. Top effort.

Ghana - won 2 (Czechs-World #2 and USA-World #5)
lost 2 (Italy and Brazil no less).

Tunisia - finished behind Spain and Ukraine. Average scoreline of 1-2. Pretty fine line.

Togo - lost all three, but with dignity intact. 1-2, 0-2, 0-2.

Going through their teamsheets, you could barely pick out household names, but I feel Africa put in a stellar showing. Hopefully they receive some sort of recognition by wealthy FIFA.

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
I reckon the Africans did very well this tournament, special mention to Ghana and Ivory Coast.

Ivory Coast - finished behind Argentina and Netherlands. Very competitive in both matches.

Angola - finshed behind Portugal and Mexico. They acually drew twice, and lost 1-0 to Portugal. Top effort.

Ghana - won 2 (Czechs-World #2 and USA-World #5)
lost 2 (Italy and Brazil no less).

Tunisia - finished behind Spain and Ukraine. Average scoreline of 1-2. Pretty fine line.

Togo - lost all three, but with dignity intact. 1-2, 0-2, 0-2.

Going through their teamsheets, you could barely pick out household names, but I feel Africa put in a stellar showing. Hopefully they receive some sort of recognition by wealthy FIFA.

I agree. Well done Africa. The African teams showed that they can play quality football at the African Cup in Egypt and continued such form in Germany.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
kept hearing cantona saying "this is not joga bonito" in my head watching the brazil game. anyway it was kinda weird that brazil needed to play the counter attacking game against ghana. pereira has really killed off joga bonito for good.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I really need spain to win for my multis:

STATUS Description Price Wager AUD Payout Results
Accepted World Cup - Matches - SPAIN v FRANCE - To Qualify - SPAIN Win 1.57 2.00 28.54
World Cup - Matches - BRAZIL v GHANA - To Qualify - BRAZIL Win 1.08 BRAZIL 3 - 0
(Winner)
World Cup - Matches - SWITZERLAND v UKRAINE - To Qualify - UKRAINE Win 2.00 DRAW 0 - 0
(Winner)
World Cup - Matches - GERMANY v ARGENTINA - To Qualify - GERMANY Win 1.87
World Cup - Matches - PORTUGAL v NETHERLANDS - To Qualify - PORTUGAL Win 2.25 PORTUGAL 1 - 0
(Winner)
14.27 Effective Price

Accepted World Cup - Matches - SPAIN v FRANCE - To Qualify - SPAIN Win 1.57 1.00 14.01
World Cup - Matches - BRAZIL v GHANA - To Qualify - BRAZIL Win 1.06 BRAZIL 3 - 0
(Winner)
World Cup - Matches - ENGLAND v PORTUGAL - To Qualify - PORTUGAL Win 2.25
World Cup - Matches - SWITZERLAND v UKRAINE - To Qualify - UKRAINE Win 2.00 DRAW 0 - 0
(Winner)
World Cup - Matches - GERMANY v ARGENTINA - To Qualify - GERMANY Win 1.87
14.00 Effective Price

Accepted World Cup - Matches - SPAIN v FRANCE - To Qualify - SPAIN Win 1.60 5.00 49.84
World Cup - Matches - ITALY v UKRAINE - To Qualify - UKRAINE Win 3.50
World Cup - Matches - GERMANY v ARGENTINA - To Qualify - GERMANY Win 1.78
9.97 Effective Price

go spain, germany and ukraine!

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Someone should introduce Henry to the offside rule during halftime. 5 times already and nearly cost them the goal with another. Spain are playing too high up the pitch.

The referee I reckon has been brilliant. Obviously come to a stage where refs. have to be evaluated as well.

mecurial

HSC
Wow. That just blew right open. Great finish to the half, France with their tails up for the second half. Zizou and Vieira playing to extend their international careers. No bigger moment now.

PS How do defenders of legendary status such as Lilian Thuram make schoolboy errors like that?

otay

HSC
Can I jus say congratulations to Ronaldo. When we played him I spent the whole time bagging him out. But give me his instinct and finishing skills anyday. His goal today, good finish. His second goal against Japan was a fucking sick goal. Great build up and superb finish. Well done Ronaldo, all time eading scorer in World Cup.

Oh and I don't care what any1 says

Ronaldo>> Robinho

Robihno needs to pack on some weight, he's too soft.

France are looking good, henry will be put through and actually be onside and....all over. Spain ahve rarely created a decent chance. Yep ref has been very very good. Sideline ref also. Henry just looks lazy, coz that's all it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)