The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (2 Viewers)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
otay said:
Read what I said again. I said Ecuador were probably better than us. But not MUCH better than us. That's just plain bullshit. Firstly we haven't played them, not recently at least so make such a claim is at best outlandish. Secondly Ecuador is ranked 39 in the World, we are 42. Both of these rankings I'm sure will be adjusted at the end of the World Cup, with Ecuador potentially being higher than Australia. So you're not even being realistic, you're just saying stupid shit. If you said they were much better than Vanuatu I would agree, but no us.

And I agree that the game tonight is being hyped alot (good for the game here) but I'd like to clarify I said about 3 months ago that we could beat Brazil, and that other than Kaka and Ronaldinho, they are quite vulnerable. My mates laughed at me at the time and from the other day's performance, my mind hasn't changed. I based my theory on being a devout Real Madrid fan, and watching how useless Ronaldo, Robinho, Roberto Carlos, Cicinho, Julio Baptista were and also watching the Serie A, seeing that Kaka stood out and how ineffective throughout the later half of the season Adriano was. Juninho is another one for them that can do real damage, but the others are not on form.
Just because we haven't played with them doesn't mean that they are not a much better team than us. They have a lot more skill, and it's evident. If you saw their games, you'd realize that they are superior as compared to Australia.

Australia to play Brazil has an extremely slim chance of winning. But Ecuador WILL cause a much greater challenge.

And club soccer is different to world cup soccer....
Rankings don't mean much, USA was 5th before the world cup began... That doesn't mean anything.

You say I'm talking shit?
Well by you claiming that the Brazilians would be vulnerable without their star players, Kaka and Ronaldihnio, you do make yourself appear to be the one full of shit my friend.

Soccer is a team game. But I think that's already been established.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
YBK, you sound like another bandwagonner trying to argue with stupid comments (I don't know whether you're a bandwagonner or not - if you aren't, sorry).

I agree that the Brazil thing is very, very hyped up but I don't understand where your pessimism (and others included) about the prospects of the Socceroos against Brazil. The current Australian squad is capable of beating any team and in any circumstances, Brazil included. In terms of ability, Brazil are miles ahead, but there is no reason why the Socceroos cannot beat them with the right tactics and strategy and incidentally, Guus Hiddink happens to be one of the best at this.

Furthermore, this is the World Cup and anybody can beat anybody on the day and it has been proven before. The Ecuadorian team is very impressive with their slick passing and movement but they are yet to face an opponent (in this WC) who has been able to shut them down, get in their face and frustrate them. For example, in a friendly match before the WC Ecuador lost against Macedonia - an inferior team technically but tactically played well to not give the Ecuadorians an inch.

To say that they are a much better team than Australia is absolute bullshit.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
politik said:
{Justin}{The devil is a loser, and he's my bitch}{<3 Lordi} says:
Re: The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi
Learn the difference between 'lose' and 'loose', cunt.
Oh, how I <3 you.
{Justin}{The devil is a loser, and he's my bitch}{<3 Lordi} says:
the oh how i love you = politik
- |||||||| Scream loud, scream sayonara oh oh. says:
ew.
- |||||||| Scream loud, scream sayonara oh oh. says:
EW

otay

HSC
Komit said:
YBK, you sound like another bandwagonner trying to argue with stupid comments (I don't know whether you're a bandwagonner or not - if you aren't, sorry).

I agree that the Brazil thing is very, very hyped up but I don't understand where your pessimism (and others included) about the prospects of the Socceroos against Brazil. The current Australian squad is capable of beating any team and in any circumstances, Brazil included. In terms of ability, Brazil are miles ahead, but there is no reason why the Socceroos cannot beat them with the right tactics and strategy and incidentally, Guus Hiddink happens to be one of the best at this.

Furthermore, this is the World Cup and anybody can beat anybody on the day and it has been proven before. The Ecuadorian team is very impressive with their slick passing and movement but they are yet to face an opponent (in this WC) who has been able to shut them down, get in their face and frustrate them. For example, in a friendly match before the WC Ecuador lost against Macedonia - an inferior team technically but tactically played well to not give the Ecuadorians an inch.

Thank you Komit! And they are vulnerable even with Kaka and Ronaldinho in their side (did you watch Croatia game? Japan game last year? Mexico game last year? ) Just more so when they don't fire as they provide that attacking spark.

Last edited:

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
GO AUSTRALIA. we have a vgood chnace vs brazil.
im seeing game ontop of northies in a penthouse. :D

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
YBK, take a minute to cast your memory back to the Confederations Cup a couple of years ago. Do you remember the scorline of the Brazil v Aus game?

I think it was Aus 1 - Brazil 0.

Whilst we are definately outsiders, its seems that quite a few people are quick to be taken in by the aura of Brazilians and what they are capable of, rather than the actual form they are currently in. Id say its going to be a closer match than a lot of people expect.

Though, they wouldnt dare lose against Australia, not after the coach of the Brazilian side that lost against Australia was sacked before he even got home to Brazil. Im sure that would be fresh in the coaches mind, and indeed the players.Its all going to come down to who wants it more.

Last edited:

otay

HSC
anita_wax said:
GO AUSTRALIA. we have a vgood chnace vs brazil.
im seeing game ontop of northies in a penthouse. :D
Come nulla cinemas. That's where its at. We went for Japan game and it was sick.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=191944&cc=3436

:(

Kaka has warned Australia that Brazil will be firing on all cylinders when they tackle the Socceroos in Kaiserslautern on Sunday.

Watch out Australia. That was the message today from Brazilian midfielder Kaka as the defending champions warmed up for their second World Cup fixture against Guus Hiddink's Socceroos on Sunday.

``Listen, the game against Australia will be different, I can assure you,'' Kaka told PA Sport. ``I'm not going to give too much away but we need to have more movement and play more quickly and we will. We have looked at the video and we know exactly how to out things right next time.''

- L1n -

HSC
Komit said:

The fact that Ecuador deafeated Argentina and drew with them in qualifying for thee world cup shows them to be superior to Australia, not to mention they also beat Brazil, and this all happened before anyone was close to qualifying. The fact that they have achieved puts them ahead of Austrlia, YBK has his pts and it's very valid, yes true Australia can beat Brazil but the odds r against us, even if the media hypes it up to the peaks of mount everest odds r still against us if u r realistic. Sure we beat Japan yes great match great performance all reps to Australia but Brazil is on another level. So in truth what YBK said was true to an certain extent, Ecuador has proved they can beat Argentina and Brazil. Australia hasn't so from a neutral perspective as of right now Ecuador > Australia, weather it's heaps or slightly is debatable.

And to the person who said Aus beat Brazil in confederations cup, wow man big deal we r so good we beat a under 25's or something Brazilian squad, thats a real testament to our strengths. Even using the japan match would of proved a bigger point.

otay

HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/aussie-u...are-world-class/2006/06/17/1149964789174.html

Basically highlights all points I've brought up about Brazil. I don't agree with the title though. I don't think they only have 2 world class players, they all are but only these 2 are really firing and have been in any form recently. The other players who havent been out of form are Juninho, Emerson and Lucio. We can beat these guys. Whether we will or not, time will tell. The way we'll win is to score within first 10 minutes and hold em off or hold em off and score in last ten minutes. Not easy by any means, but not impossible as the consensus on this board suggests

Last edited:

otay

HSC
- L1n - said:
The fact that Ecuador deafeated Argentina and drew with them in qualifying for thee world cup shows them to be superior to Australia, not to mention they also beat Brazil, and this all happened before anyone was close to qualifying. The fact that they have achieved puts them ahead of Austrlia, YBK has his pts and it's very valid, yes true Australia can beat Brazil but the odds r against us, even if the media hypes it up to the peaks of mount everest odds r still against us if u r realistic. Sure we beat Japan yes great match great performance all reps to Australia but Brazil is on another level. So in truth what YBK said was true to an certain extent, Ecuador has proved they can beat Argentina and Brazil. Australia hasn't so from a neutral perspective as of right now Ecuador > Australia, weather it's heaps or slightly is debatable.

And to the person who said Aus beat Brazil in confederations cup, wow man big deal we r so good we beat a under 25's or something Brazilian squad, thats a real testament to our strengths. Even using the japan match would of proved a bigger point.
Thats bullshit I'm sorry. Ecuador play their home matches a billion metres above sea level (slight exaggeration) and thus have a far greater advantage than their argentinian and brazilian counterparts. Fact is until Australia play Ecuador, we won't know. By your logic, Ecuador beat Argentina, who lost their most recent match to England, who in turn lost their most recent match to Australia. See how flawed it is. Not taking anything away from Ecuador. They are playing very good football but atm any comparison between them and the socceroos is mere speculation.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
apparently guus just said on the news that he's putting out the starting-eleven without caring about the yellows

HotShot

-_-
HSC
this couldnt be any better for australia just read and u will find out why:

Group E
Ita 3 1 4pts
Cze 3 2 3pts
Gha 2 2 3pts
Usa 1 4 1pts

TBP , cze vs ita , gha vs usa
firstly ital are on top of the group by one point and each time has one game left. the most important being between Ita & Cze. SO if ita win, then ITaly are through, and if either Ghana or Usa win then Czechs are out!!.
A draw between Ita and Cze would mean that ita would be through and Cze sittin on 4 pts will have to depend the gha vs usa match, if ghana wins then Cze will be out.

Now lets be realistic , Ghana are not looking that great, USA held out a draw against Italy, so most likely that Usa will beat them. That means USA will have 4 pts equal. unless the beat GHana by 3+ goals there goal diff will be negative which means if Cze draws then usa will be out.

SO for Cze its must win or draw game. If Ghana wins though they are most likely (Cze) to be knocked. Now for the Italy vs Cze should be most watched game for us, if we manage a draw or win against Brazil, hopefully ITaly wins.

Personally the czechs are much better than italy, and italy will be easier to play against. so italy hopefully wins which means that czechs are almost certainly out. unless the ghana vs usa match ends up in a draw, or usa win by a low margin. so cze still have possibilty of continuing on, as long as they draw at least.
Now almost certainly italy will be at the top , and either Cze or Ghana at 2 (slim poss of USA). so that means Aus if they finish 2nd will verse ITaly or if they finish first (likely) will play cze or ghana. Now depends on Brazil if they want to be first or second (if they are gud enough to make that choice, i they are since last match is against Japan). the they will force at the top to play italy.

but u never know wat happens in the end anyway.. just realied ghana bt czech if they can do that surely then they can beat usa..?

Last edited:

otay

HSC
Yes that does look decent. Let's worry about tonight first and then actually getting into 2nd round.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think Australia would much prefer Ghana to beat USA and czech-italy to draw so they can play Ghana in the next round instead of either czech or italy (assuming aus comes 2nd in their group).

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
HotShot said:
Now lets be realistic , Ghana are not looking that great, USA held out a draw against Italy, so most likely that Usa will beat them.
What, 2-0 win over the 2nd "best" team in the world (I use that term veeeeeeery loosely, just FIFA rankings) isn't "that great"?

otay

HSC
bazookajoe said:
What, 2-0 win over the 2nd "best" team in the world (I use that term veeeeeeery loosely, just FIFA rankings) isn't "that great"?
Yeah it was a great win. Czech's didn't have Barros or Koller and got a red card though. Compared to Italy or Czech Republic though, I say we have more of a chance against Ghana (since Koller is expected to return for 2nd round). You never know though. I wanna play the US so we can annialate them and shove it up Arena's arse. However I also want them to come last in their group. Such dilemma. Great props to Ghana though. Fulyl deserved win. Australia v Ghana would be a great game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)