The offical EE2 bitch and procastination thread (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I was going to go to Mac, but I can't be bothered.

It would be exciting to meet the mods, who have helped us through our horrible EE2 angst.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Sweets said:
I was going to go to Mac, but I can't be bothered.

It would be exciting to meet the mods, who have helped us through our horrible EE2 angst.
You mean you can't be bothered to ride the camels, recieve shiatsu massage, get fossil casts, recieve henna tatoos, ride trackless trains and hapless ponies not to mention dine on liquid nitrogen ice cream while getting to meet some of the mods and moi?:(
On another note, Lynn and myself have been discussing things and considering that some of the 04ers ended up meeting up last year, she(and me!!) have been quite curious about what some of you are like in person. So we'd love it if any of you guys (and gals) could come to the Mac day and say hello or even at another time.:)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Is this sentence gramatically correct?

"The position they have on their corresponding situations change."

Arggg.... it sounds weird..... read this:

Usage Note:

The use of the third-person plural pronoun they to refer to a singular noun or pronoun is attested as early as 1300, and many admired writers have used they, them, themselves, and their to refer to singular nouns such as one, a person, an individual, and each. W.M. Thackeray, for example, wrote in Vanity Fair in 1848, “A person can't help their birth,” and more recent writers such as George Bernard Shaw and Anne Morrow Lindbergh have also used this construction, in sentences such as “To do a person in means to kill them,” and “When you love someone you do not love them all the time.” The practice is widespread and can be found in such mainstream publications as the Christian Science Monitor, Discover, and the Washington Post. The usage is so common in speech that it generally passes unnoticed. ·However, despite the convenience of third-person plural forms as substitutes for generic he and for structurally awkward coordinate forms like his/her, many people avoid using they to refer to a singular antecedent out of respect for the traditional grammatical rule concerning pronoun agreement. Most of the Usage Panelists reject the use of they with singular antecedents. Eighty-two percent find the sentence The typical student in the program takes about six years to complete their course work unacceptable. Thus, the writer who chooses to use they in similar contexts in writing should do so only if assured that the usage will be read as a conscious choice rather than an error. ·Interestingly, Panel members do seem to distinguish between singular nouns, such as the typical student, and pronouns that are grammatically singular but semantically plural, such as anyone and everyone. Sixty-four percent of panel members accept the sentence No one is willing to work for those wages anymore, are they? in informal speech. See Usage Note at any. See Usage Note at anyone. See Usage Note at he1. See Usage Note at she.

Ummm... *is confused*

HSC
N/A
First sentence - feels like it should be "changes", not "change".

What's this usage thing? There are some minor but annoying (not to mention confusing) grammar problems here and there... makes it difficult to read and understand properly.

YBK

HSC
glitterfairy said:

What's this usage thing? There are some minor but annoying (not to mention confusing) grammar problems here and there... makes it difficult to read and understand properly.
ohh... yeah true... I was worried about "their" though. The 's' thingy is a typo.

This is a better version of the same sentence:

"The positions they have on their corresponding situations change."

I can use 'their' because it's plural... darn, that was confusing :D

YBK

HSC
glitterfairy said:

It's the usage of the word "their" as copied from dictionary.com

YBK

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Weird... it doesn't read very nicely :( I'm such a stickler for good flow.
Agreed, especially for this sentence: "Eighty-two percent find the sentence The typical student in the program takes about six years to complete their course work unacceptable."

I think there should be a comma after "sentence" and "work"; or maybe even a colon...

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
YBK said:
Agreed, especially for this sentence: "Eighty-two percent find the sentence The typical student in the program takes about six years to complete their course work unacceptable."

I think there should be a comma after "sentence" and "work"; or maybe even a colon...
Don't think so. It's not a clause. For clarity there should perhaps be inverted commas between "The" and "work".

C

Crazy Pomo

c_james said:
Don't think so. It's not a clause. For clarity there should perhaps be inverted commas between "The" and "work".

Agreed with c james. It is a very fucked passage, ironically. Is this because in copying and pasting it any italics or grammer or fonts or whatever were lost? I know it shouldn't but it does it sometimes with things that I copy and paste.

HSC
N/A
Resurrecting this thing one last time!

Good luck for your HSC, people! Stay calm, and show off those brilliant creative writing skills in all the creative writing sections! :D

C

Crazy Pomo

tez0r said:
thread revival!
Thread revival fuck yeah? How often do people think about their babies (EE2 MW)?
Can't wait to get those bastards back, well, the mark anyway.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
I haven't contemplated the mark of my work a great deal. I've been sort of preoccupied with attempting to extend it, though it is difficult without the impetus of HSC marking

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Well my pathetic EE2 mark deffinetly warrants a thread resurection. I got 39 externally. I can't believe it. I didn't think my major work was great, but I thought it was about a 45-46. Bahh, i'm such a loser.

Congratulations to everyone else though, I saw some kick ass marks in the other threads.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
conversely to sweets, i thought my major work was a flaming pile of dog poo, yet it scored 49/50 externally. However, i found sweets work much more intriguing than my own

HSC
N/A
Everyone, please remember external marking is subjective. In fact, whoever reads it, it will ALWAYS be subjective.

I personally got an internal mark of 46/50, and an external mark of about 35/50 (can't really remember, so Sweets - you still beat me! lol) which rounded to 41/50. *shrugs* some people are just going to love or hate your work. It's just ONE opinion - learn from it, and move on :)

But congratulations to those who DID do well - let's all be gracious "winners" and "non-winners", oui?

J

jhakka

Sweets said:
Well my pathetic EE2 mark deffinetly warrants a thread resurection. I got 39 externally. I can't believe it. I didn't think my major work was great, but I thought it was about a 45-46. Bahh, i'm such a loser.

Congratulations to everyone else though, I saw some kick ass marks in the other threads.
39 is pathetic? I personally take offense to that, because last year I managed to get 29 externally but was saved by my internal mark. I was pretty cut, but you have to look and think "What did I do wrong?"

I was extremely cocky with my major work and was smacked down. But at least now I can see some of the places where I went wrong. I didn't have a clear message/statement, for a start. I still think it was a damn good story and was well written/edited, however it was not what they were after.

People with attitudes like "My mark of *anything between 35 and 45* is shit" should really take a hard look at themselves and start to think that they're not as sophisticated/misunderstood/ingenious as they think they are. People like that give me the shits because I know I worked my arse off and got as close to a bare pass as I'd like to get for my external when I thought I deserved more, and then have have "I got Justin's mark PLUS 10 (out of 50, which means that's another 20% on top of it) and it is so shit." I have little sympathy for an attitude like that, and I think that you should realise that anything over 40 is damn good, and you were pretty damn close to it.

I'm not going to say you deserved more, because I haven't read your work. You might deserve more, but you could damn well deserve less as well. I've seen shit works get high 40s, and great works get in the 30s. It works both ways.

You got a good mark. Stop wallowing in "I didn't get the 50 I deserved. Please tell me I deserved 50." I went down a similar path, and for a while it ruined a great subject for me. Move on. Be proud of what you did. And if you think your mark is because they don't understand you (I don't know if you think this, but I add it just in case), maybe you should deflate your ego a bit.

Yes I am aware that it's a matter of perspective. And to be honest, I would be totally stoked to have your mark. Anything around 40 or higher is brilliant.

-Justin

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
jhakka said:
39 is pathetic? I personally take offense to that, because last year I managed to get 29 externally but was saved by my internal mark. I was pretty cut, but you have to look and think "What did I do wrong?"

I was extremely cocky with my major work and was smacked down. But at least now I can see some of the places where I went wrong. I didn't have a clear message/statement, for a start. I still think it was a damn good story and was well written/edited, however it was not what they were after.

People with attitudes like "My mark of *anything between 35 and 45* is shit" should really take a hard look at themselves and start to think that they're not as sophisticated/misunderstood/ingenious as they think they are. People like that give me the shits because I know I worked my arse off and got as close to a bare pass as I'd like to get for my external when I thought I deserved more, and then have have "I got Justin's mark PLUS 10 (out of 50, which means that's another 20% on top of it) and it is so shit." I have little sympathy for an attitude like that, and I think that you should realise that anything over 40 is damn good, and you were pretty damn close to it.

I'm not going to say you deserved more, because I haven't read your work. You might deserve more, but you could damn well deserve less as well. I've seen shit works get high 40s, and great works get in the 30s. It works both ways.

You got a good mark. Stop wallowing in "I didn't get the 50 I deserved. Please tell me I deserved 50." I went down a similar path, and for a while it ruined a great subject for me. Move on. Be proud of what you did. And if you think your mark is because they don't understand you (I don't know if you think this, but I add it just in case), maybe you should deflate your ego a bit.

Yes I am aware that it's a matter of perspective. And to be honest, I would be totally stoked to have your mark. Anything around 40 or higher is brilliant.

-Justin
I'm really sorry I didn't mean to offend. It was just my intial emotion, which I think I was warranted. I was most deffinetly not of the opinion that my work was great, or that I was some great writer, contrary to that I was most scared about my EE2 mark. I was however given positive feedback by my teachers and others who read my work which lead me to believe that I would get a mark which would enable me to get the UAI I wanted. Evidently that didn't happen, and I have gotten over it now. I think you took my comments too personally. I was just venting. It was not an endictment on anyone else. And I am truly sorry if it came across that way :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)