The life and crimes of harry lavender (1 Viewer)

tommy1588

HSC
yea, i hate reading, i only like movies but unfortunately there is no film adaption of this crap book. "the life and crimes of harry lavender" so it would be really helpful if a smart student could just give me the basic plot of the book, what happens. some notable crap that happens and just the stuff i need to know so i can pass with flying colors.

anyway if you're going to leave comments like "just read it properly" etc. please don't waste your time.

tommy1588

HSC
there aren't any notes on that book on that site. :(

and, I'm just a reluctant reader so i kinda hate all books

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Maybe this will help?

http://community.boredofstudies.org/327/module-genre/49837/life-crimes-harry-lavender.html

Claudia Valentines Private Eye business is in a slack period when she receives a call from an old school friend Marilyn Edwards. Claudia learns that Marilyns brother, Mark Bannister, was found dead at his computer console supposedly of a cardiac arrest. Marilyn doesnt believe the official Police line of death by natural causes and when Claudia starts to dig, neither does she. The death is complicated; Mark had a pacemaker, and heroin was found in his bloodstream. He was also writing a book; commissioned by an unknown client to write the best-seller of the century. The manuscript and his disks are missing, and the hardrive on the computer has been wiped.

Marks girlfriend Sally Villos is the daughter of his heart surgeon and a spoiled brat. She blames the drugs for Marks death and tries to hide evidence of drug paraphernalia when she finds the body. Claudia chips away at her story to find out what really happened but things get complicated with the involvement of Sydney crime pin Harry Lavender. Claudia finds her own life in danger as she is not the only one looking for the manuscript. The other searcher is not so nice and another couple of bodies turn up later in the book. Claudia finally ties all the suspects and clues together in a tight ending.

Marele Day has written a gritty hardboiled Australian novel somewhat in the style of Sara Paretsky. Claudia is a female version of the old-style PI with ash trays full of butts, empty bottles of Jack Daniels, a blonde in the bed, and another couple to ogle throughout the story. What sets Claudia apart is that she does not carry a gun but relies on high-powered karate kicks and running fast. Day choose her setting of Bondi Beach in Sydney well as it almost becomes a character in itself. The seedy underbelly of the area almost oozes through the pages. The pace is fast and exciting, and the dialogue witty with a twist of sarcasm. The Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender is the first in a series of books featuring hardened PI Claudia Valentine and I intend to look up the rest of them.

tommy1588

HSC
yea thanks but thats like, the a review, i wanted the plot n stuff.

terrylolol

HSC
LOOOOOOOOOL i found this thread googling for notes and tommy basically took the words out of my mouth
can someone please give some notes =(
and tell me how language is used to create voices in texts?(distinctive voices) yeah if u can help please tell me here or even better add me on msn terrylulz @ live.com ty !!

manoo

:.:.:Charmed Member:.:.:
HSC
hey i just had a thought ur all having trouble with harry lav... including me so why dont we get our email addresses together and do like an msn study group thing. PM if u think this sounds like a good idea and we will discuss further.

Drew aka crazy

HSC
ok i know this a kinda shit book and i even like reading but wat u gotta get is the detective side of the story
the mystery the suspense the use of words and quotes to describe the actions being portrayed in the book

in class we still havnt finished it but if i can i will try and do some notes and post them up but unfortunately that wont be till the weekend

aha found a little booklet my teacher gave us seems alright ill scan it and try and get it 2 u all somehow

hopefully i can help u guys out

Harry Lavender

He is the antagonist of the novel. Flees from the Nazis and moves to Australia. his experiences teach him to survive. this starts at school where he displays his knife " so close to their eyes they cannot even blink". Even as a child he is cunning, patient and manipulative. works as an assassin before establishing himself as major crime boss in sydney.
Irony in his surname- he is not sweet smelling as Lavender. But relationship can be linked with the strong, sweet smell of the plant - Harry's influence drifts across the entire city. Claudia says " Everything stank of Lavender " page 110, meaning his influence was powerful and widespread.
He is an egocentric megalomaniac in his perception of himself as omniscient and omnipresent. Is egotistical, proud and ambitious.
The character is revealed through his own thoughts.
By not featuring Lavender as a visible character in the novel Marele day makes him resemble a sinister force rather than an actual person.
The fact that he is dying of cancer is significant and symbolic because his own cancer parallels the way in which he is like a cancer in the body of the city.

Last edited:

sjk92

HSC
At first i found it dificult to find the Distinctive voices through out the novel BUT when you look further into it, it is quite evident. There is hardly anything on the net to help, so i hope this sorta helps =)

Distinctive voices - are various types and functions of voices in texts. It explores the way language is used to create voices and how the use of language affects interpretations and shapes meaning.

The voice of Harry Lavender travels along with the readers perception for the novel. It appears as if his invisible persence follows the protagonist at every nook. Mark Bannister's biography acts as thin threads weaving its pray withing its web, soon to be sucked out of life. The use of distinctive voices is more of an ominous shadow accompanying claudia in the shrinking alley ways of Sydney.

OffTheChane

HSC
im completely with u on that one man this crap is hella boring i mean i nearly fall asleep during this stuff ....i got a test on it 2moz and im up to page 50 so yeh im screwed

xFusion

HSC
I didn't like this book. Very crappy ending IMO
so many better crime stories out there =.=

StephanieYazmin

HSC
LCHL is loaded with distintive voice.
Claudia Valentine's dialouge is destinctivly nior and classic 'private eye/detective' style.
Her tone is usually sharp and the language used is accurate for her role.
Contextual referances include things such as car brands ( Sally almost running up the back of Claudia in her dad's black Porshe, being followed by a black BMW).
Marelle Days sence of time and place (locations in Sydney, and technology relevant to the era it was written) influences the sence of vioce as it creates depth and sence of reality into the novel.

These are just some pointers though, I'd encourage you to read the book, it really isn't as bad as it seems at the start.
:)

rebeccakate

HSC
claudia's voice/personality is:
  • libirated: unknown Blond in the bed
  • tough talking: "no one gets in my room .... let alone my bed"
  • cynical: "well helled, well coiffed"
  • strong: physically-karate and mentally
  • competent: a women in typically a mans job and does it well.
  • intelligent: solves mystery
  • street smart: knows the city
  • observant: relizes BMW is following her
  • confident: mingles at pub ( wake)
  • witty: "one step closer to heavan was the crematorium"
  • sarcastic: "better" (sally in suna pg 152)
harry lavenders voice is:
  • powerful: leader of organised crime, imagines is own funneral
  • arrogant: proud of criminal activities "helped in many ways... social contribution."
  • smug: boasting of friends; politicians, police links and media.
  • egotisitical: repition of I
  • sinister
  • ominous

Last edited:

sam2263

HSC
thnx heaps guud stuff.

modern

mathematics

eng std

phys

chem

tequese

HSC
Honestly I didnt like the book either but I got over it and read it. If you want your HSC bad enough you would get over it and read it yourself. for all the comments you have read on this post you could have practically read half the book by now.

00iCon

HSC
Bump!
cos i'm doing it, for distinctive voices btw. havent done any tasks so dont ask for my notes yet

r we dere yet

HSC
i dont get how the use of distinctive voices is portrayed in the life and crimes of harry lavender:confused:

tried to understand it but ive failed miserably. exams tomorrow and i really need help with it :( totally screwed

Last edited:

puertorico

HSC
i dont get how the use of distinctive voices is portrayed in the life and crimes of harry lavender:confused:

tried to understand it but ive failed miserably. exams tomorrow and i really need help with it :( totally screwed
your not by anychance from east hills girls tech????????

lyndallg

HSC
Distinctive voices are soo easy! for exaple you just go...

The distinct voice of claudia valentine is shown in Marcel Day's novel the life and crimes of harry lavender where a simile and paradox is used
“I woke up felling like death. Ironically appropriate given what the day held in store”. Here we see how Valentine is living life close to the edge and helps build suspence blah blahh bla
so all u have to do is go "the distincive voice of this person is shown when then chuck a quote in and write a sentece telling the technique and explaining the quote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)