The legality of torrenting... (1 Viewer)

Do you think torrenting should be illegal?

• Total voters

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Torrenting in itself is completely legal and has legitimate uses. It's a matter of the copyright status of the content being torrented.

TheStallion

HSC
Well you've worded the question like shit. All you're asking is "is torrenting legal?" and the answer is yes, no arguments there.

The question you seem to want to ask is "are sites like TPB legal/is the distribution of copyrighted content legal?"

Terrible poll options too, all 3 of them are bad ideas and way too extreme.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm talking about the illegal uses....
Then your question is not really about torrenting. The real question is whether intellectual property rights should exist at all.

If it is accepted that copyright should subsist in things such as movies, music etc then the legal consequences for illegally exchanging them should be the same regardless of distribution channel. I'm not sure why illegal distribution by torrents is such a special case that it needs to be treated differently to the point that it should be exempted from copyright laws.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Should breaking the law be illegal?

Find out after the break.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Copyright law is stupid, nowadays it is used to make production companies richer and richer rather than engourage creativity which was it's original purpose.

ZeeZee3

HSC
I dont know if torrenting is bad cause of copyright issues or if its good for saving a few dollars but if they dont like torrenting, they should really make an effort to close down these sites, its almost like theyre asking you to torrent to get caught for copyright infringement and get fined so they get more money.

na110793

HSC
Personally I feel that laws for intellectual property rights should be binned.

Pfortune35

HSC
theres nothing wrong with torrenting in essence, it just that people us it to download stuff that shouldnt be free.
if were going to ban torrenting we should ban EVERY other form of downloading aswell, which is just completely fucking stupid

pussaypatrol

HSC
What says you?
A method I would consider is having a tax on all internet users, therefore the artists and everyone involved get their royalties without and complaints, but this tax should be at a very minimal (Maybe 5cents, imagine how many net users there are which is equivalent to heaps of dosh) so internet users do not feel ripped off in any circumstances. How this works I believe is what ever is downloaded the most on the net e.g movies, songs should allow the artist with most loyalties.

I've personally never legally bought a movie or song in my entire life, I think it's because our generation is very different and will continue so for ages until stupid fks like SOPA fuck everything up but too bad they can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
itt: petulant children who are too fucking lazy to pay people for their work

good luck being able to download any movie or song you want when nobody is making them you dumb cunts

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A method I would consider is having a tax on all internet users, therefore the artists and everyone involved get their royalties without and complaints, but this tax should be at a very minimal (Maybe 5cents, imagine how many net users there are which is equivalent to heaps of dosh) so internet users do not feel ripped off in any circumstances. How this works I believe is what ever is downloaded the most on the net e.g movies, songs should allow the artist with most loyalties.

I've personally never legally bought a movie or song in my entire life, I think it's because our generation is very different and will continue so for ages until stupid fks like SOPA fuck everything up but too bad they can't.
The logistics of an undertaking like that would be messy. How would you decide how much a copyright holder gets? How will this be enforced across all countries? How will governments know where to find copyright holders of assets on the Internet?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
temp
good luck being able to download any movie or song you want when nobody is making them you dumb cunts
people no longer buying full length albums has and will have more to do with the music industry's decline FAR more than pirating

and there is little evidence that the movie industry is declining at all really

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)