the John Mayer thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

Alex_H86

CEO of BoS...
HSC
John Mayer rocks!!! I have seen him in concert....last year. It was so incredibly awesome. He was fantastic live, you know how some performers suck live, well I actually think he gets better live, because he sounds just as good, and you get the interaction with the crowd-he has a cool sense of humour. Loving John Mayer right now...

HSC
Here_I_am said:
Does anyone else here absolutely love John Mayer? He is touring in April and I am so excited to be seeing him! YAY! I see all these terrible musicians being worshipped on this site and think it is about time that John got a little recognition. Does anyone else think he is wonderful... And if you don't like him... Don't post anything coz you are CRAZY!

i like a few songs, he's guest appearing onrob thomas' solo album due soon, and kanye west's new single due soon, i've already heard a snippet of it, it sounds catchy 'bittersweet u gonna be the death of me i dont want u but i need i love u and hate u at the very same time'

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
oh
my
god

how come i didn't see this thread sooner?

I'm obsessed with this man. he's my future husband

I reckon most of his songs don't show the absolute talent that he can be. In concerts, where he's jamming and stuff...... it is soooo brilliant. I went crazy when he said to us in April that he was going to get naked by sundown.

anyone seen "John Mayer Has a Tv Show"? it's 20 minutes of him being a dick, and it's incredibly funny.

He's so beautiful

He was my Visual Arts concept in Year 12 last year - well, the concert anyway. I just drew several pictures of him, white pencil on black, while contrasting this with the photos of white dots that I took of him on the night.

omgosh I have so much to write.

My fingers are all shaky just from thinking of him.

*panics*

I've even got unreleased stuff like Big Sky Country, Hummingbird, In Your Atmosphere, Patience (Guns N Roses Cover) and stuff....

I've got everything. His EP, his DVD, room for squares, heavier things, any given thursday,

omgosh.

and everything he performed at calvin college

I've got some of his clothing merch too.

I have him on my desktop.

I get newsletter stuff of his site.

Anyone know that he went out with Jennifer Love-Hewitt? For two weeks until he thought she was holding him back from the music. The bitch.

I was psycho last april. I was so shaken, so silent. I sung along but I could not believe I was in the same room as him.

I know you guys think I'm one of those pink prissy girls that are so totally obsessed, but I don't know how to sum up to you how much I love this man. I'm still nervous for some reason.

But yes, You are talking to one, utterly, utterly obsessed fan.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
amyxx said:
john mayer is so good ive been to two of his concerts and i have all of his life performances on my ipod

my fave song is comfortable

x
JESUS i cried the first time i heard that song.

I need to rep everyone in this thread RIGHT NOW

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
rebooki said:
his music is awesome live.. at his last concert he played the guitar perfectly.... BACKWARDS!!!!! and yeh he's just so skillful.... ahhh my obsession is quite insane hehehehe
I SAW THAT! I WENT INSANE

TurboTom said:
john mayer is shit
he plays the soppy girly card way too much
damn fucking right. apparently he read girls magazines in highschool because he wanted to know what women really wanted. that's so adorable. and its not way too much. he's the only one that has mastered the card as far as I know.

and yes townie, even Chris can't do it.

Crikket said:
haha, he's funny when he sings... you gotta love the facial expressions.
i really liked his stuff in the first and second album, but i was pretty disappointed in the third one (heavier things or something like that)
his lyrics are the sweetest. he's so damn talented!
he said in an interview, answering a question of some kid who got the nerve to ask by saying along the lines of "fuck you man! it's my music squeezing face!"

thejosiekiller said:
he cant sing

he hums and rambles
THAT'S A LIE AND YOU KNOW IT

Jazz Man Tim said:
im a bit of a fan :)
wheres Ur Inner Child tho? shes nuts about him :D
DAMN RIGHT I AM

ChrisE

HSC
john mayer is one of my guilty pleasures as well. people tease me for liking him but i cant help it, hes great.

have you heard the as/is live cd? it was only released in the us i think but i got it on bittorrent. its far better than any given thursday. bit of old, bit of new, acoustic version of 3x5, 9 minute version of clarity, comnfortable is there i love it

MoNNiE

HSC
john mayer is the best!!! you got that right ur inner child!!!

i wish i could go to his concerts :(

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
ur_inner_child

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

SORRY GUYS I'LL COME BACK LATER TO GIVE YOU THE REP THAT YOU DESERVE JOHNNY FANS!!!

MY HANDSS ARE SHAKING!!!!

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
john mayer is a patriarchal asshole who comes up with gems such as "Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without warmth from
A woman's good, good heart

On behalf of every man
Looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of her world"

i mean give me a fucking break. people call eminem etc misogynistic but they're just fucking around for the most part. mayer genuinely believes that girls need bring strong father figures so they can become "mothers and lovers" :rolleyes:

asshole

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
glycerine said:
john mayer is a patriarchal asshole who comes up with gems such as "Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
A woman's good, good heart

On behalf of every man
Looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of her world"

i mean give me a fucking break. people call eminem etc misogynistic but they're just fucking around for the most part. mayer genuinely believes that girls need bring strong father figures so they can become "mothers and lovers" :rolleyes:

asshole
you tool, take the whole verse out of context. out of a song that talks about treating women right. about a whole song thats ABOUT women and telling that both mothers and fathers should be good to them. Oh noeeess!!! One verse is dedicated to the boys!! PATRIARCHAL!!! Couldn't I equally argue "why do the mothers and fathers have to be good to the daughters but not their sons?" Talk about selective reading!

"You are the god and the weight of the world"

ie, a boy can be both the blessing or a burden? I think that's kinda true

Why, couldn't I take Jet's "Are you going to be my girl" as patriarchal

"are you going to be MY girl?"

girls as possessions? patriarchy! oh noes!!!

Don't take it out of context, girl. And if you think this song is SoooOooo patriarchal, you need to listen to 50 cent more. This is G rated "patriarchy" if patriarchal at all.

*breathes*

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah ok i took that one verse because i cbf going through line by line and explaining it.

my problem is that the whole idea of the song is that you have to be kind to your daughters because they are delicate little flowers, boys can take just about anything you throw at them, but girls? no, girls you have to handle with care so they can become mothers and lovers like they should be. i mean, i'm not saying mayer sits there smoking a cigar going "har har, what do WOMEN know?" but shit like this suggests an underlying PATRIARCHAL viewpoint that women are fragile and tender.

50 cent is an asshole, i never said he wasn't, but you know what? that doesn't mean i should ignore mayer being somewhat less of an asshole

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
for the record, i don't have a problem with the message that you should treat PEOPLE right. but explicitly saying "treat women right because they're delicate, boys you can test because they're strong, la la la la"? i don't think so :rolleyes:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
glycerine said:
yeah ok i took that one verse because i cbf going through line by line and explaining it.

my problem is that the whole idea of the song is that you have to be kind to your daughters because they are delicate little flowers, boys can take just about anything you throw at them, but girls? no, girls you have to handle with care so they can become mothers and lovers like they should be. i mean, i'm not saying mayer sits there smoking a cigar going "har har, what do WOMEN know?" but shit like this suggests an underlying PATRIARCHAL viewpoint that women are fragile and tender.

50 cent is an asshole, i never said he wasn't, but you know what? that doesn't mean i should ignore mayer being somewhat less of an asshole
i think you can see it that way definatley. I totally understand your viewpoint, and may somewhat, fairly agree, although I still think you could see it another way. And that the lyrics are so frikin vague, you could probably read into it a whole other way...

Couldn't one look at the fact that the idea of being kind to your daughters, not because they're delicate, but that he's ignored sons entirely?

Screw the son. Let's give all our love to the girls.

You could also see this verse:

Boys will be strong (traditional)
And boys soldier on (traditional)
A woman's good, good heart (untraditional)

I don't particularly think this is as patriarchal as it COULD be.

Anyway, each to their own.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i love john mayer
and i love the song daughters
everyone interprates lyrics differently
and thats a good thing...

i watched his dvd yesterday i love that thing...

artfag

Banned
HSC
i lied. i actually think john mayer is aids. i just wanted ur_inner_child to rep me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)