The Future- Where'll the jobs be? (1 Viewer)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
I reckon trades will be booming soon.
Since many people are looking to get better high paying jobs trades are ignored.
Soon we could be paying hundreds of dollars for something that doesnt cost as much now.
why charge so much? cause they can.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Actually, the last thing this country needs is more useless office workers.

Seriously, you can get better and better money these days for trades and such, because nobody wants to do them and there's such an enormous shortage.
Yea, good point. Although I don't know that trades are necessarily going to be a big "boom" area.

If anything, I think the next industry to undergo a revolution will be something relatively unheard of and something people least expect...I only wish I could predict the future :p.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Don't forget good old IT as well. There's been a lack of people entering into IT/Comp Sci uni courses over the past few years and they are worried that in a few years time there won't be enough grads to fill all the roles. Obviously this means less competition for those who have just begun doing an IT course, but yeh we'll see how it goes. IT jobs can be high paying as well.

Also, adding to what Rench said, Business/Commerce will pretty much always have a constant stream of jobs. It may fluctuate a little, but it will always be in demand, especially in Accounting. If you're doing something like Engineering, IT or Science, then combining it with Business/Commerce will always be useful and will get you ahead of the competition. Obviously you have a spend an extra year or 2 at uni if you are going to do that.

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
1. No, all those renewable energy sources are pathetic and will never be anything bigger than they are now.
So you think that there'll be no money pumped into R&D, mining etc.? Also, nuclear energy has great propects, just need legislation to change.

2. Way overrated, not going to be anywhere near as big a deal as some predict.
I don't know much about this, but i'm sure the people predicting this have done extensive research into the field, who are you to say that?

3. Already covered.
How so? Do you mean that companies will outsource these professionals? It's not gonna happen, companies want top graduates from top schools for a reason, and they're not gonna come cheap.

ND

HSC
A top graduate doesn't only imply top grades; they also need work experience (as you mentioned) and good extra curriculars, along with excellent communication skills. (and a number of other attributes)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yup, exactly what ND said. I've been to a number of interviews now and they will all ask you about stuff other than your marks (like extracurricular activities and your work experience). If you have neither of those, then you won't have much to talk about at the interviews.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Its an aging population, so pretty much anyone in the health area will struggle to be out of a job.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say trades. There seems to still be a shortage and the ones who current practice charge a premium for their time.

Pretty much things which can't be outsourced I'd say.

7th Sign

HSC
Most basic It bar admin style roles jobs and most basic manufacturing jobs will be fased out in the future.

Jobs that will be booming in the nest 20 years will be in construction as their like 20 thousand workers short and their is a overload of work.

Most basic jobs that provide a service that computers/ robots cant do will not be fased out for 100s of years to come..

Trades is already booming any way I know of a 30 year old who own's a construction business with offices on the gold coast and in sydney his company builds small - medium luxary building he is worth like 150 million and he has only been in the business 10 years! My uncle is currently doing some work on his house which he paid 20 million for on the harbour he is doing a totall make over of it and spending 8 million lols...

Last edited:
W

whsmith

Longevity-

As in Nursing, Fitness/Exercise, Medicine. The World's Baby Boomers are loaded with cash, horribly unhealthy, and are willing to pay a buck to extend thier lives a few years.

Property/Construction-

More on a construction/building side. Infrastructure in Australia is horribly inadequate. Mainly in the Strata Industry [High-rise], due to lack of space.

The Property Market is different. It will always steadily rise. But not really a /boom/. The General population or 'mob' are very fickle. just scream "OMG! Buy Houses! They are Going up!!1!!!one!1!" and they'll all jump on board.

Tip: Outer sydney. Best... Place... to... Buy.. Ever.

Property is still one of the top 3 best ways to make a living. - Privately.
Not really countable, due to not being a 'business' as per se, but an investment. Tax free income = good times.

Will S-
Diploma Of Property [05]
Certificate IV Strata Management [05]
Certificate IV Business Broking [05]
Currently Studying Bach Property Economics [06]

ioniser

HSC
Sparcod said:
:
-solar energy/photovoltaics
-wind energy

On to medical science:
-nanotechnology
-biotechnology
-prosthetics
-nuclear medicine
-DNA research
-Stem cell???

thats total crap, in all the above ,graduates struggle the most to find jobs in these areas espacially in biotech and nano

Last edited:

ioniser

HSC
future jobs are in the engineering field due to a lack of engineering graduates world wide

In australia there is a lack of people in the medicine stream due to the government unable to support funding to train doctors as the costs are very high

mining is the biggest one due to china's boom and their great demand for aus resources ,already seen through by bhp's record profits (which the company still hasnt reached full capacity yet and therefor more jobs will be created .note mining already lacks employment)thus many jobs are going to be created in this sector which the government is strongly supporting

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
I reckon just as PC's have taken over, pc's will be applied to more and more appliacnes, and hence robotics will become rather large. This means more programmers, computer technicians, engineers, robot mechanics, and systems managers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ But problem with that is, apart from the initial creativity phase, everything else gets sent abroad.. >< My father is a computer engineer and whilst at the head of his game, he's seeing clients slowly disappear for cheaper Indian alternatives.

W

whsmith

India is the most highly educated country of the world...

Good on them.

Another random fact: There are more fluet English speakers in India than the Unitied States of America.

ND

HSC
whsmith said:
India is the most highly educated country of the world...

Good on them.

Another random fact: There are more fluet English speakers in India than the Unitied States of America.
Really? Do you know how that was calculated? (fact 1.)

W

whsmith

Heh...

Not sure.

They do have the Highest amount of Doctors, Masters, and Univerisity equivalent holders i believe. Though that might calculated via a raw number - not a ratio.

Have a 1Billion + population would screw it up [ratio wise].

Doing some google-searching...

Most people say Japan is the most educated country...
Not sure if this is a ratio or a raw number.

So - Don't have to take anything i said too seriously.

But India IS very educated. Oh, But the English Speaking Fact, I believe, is very true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)