The Fairfax websites (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Surely I cannot be alone in hating the new layout, especially the way in which many articles are now provided in a multiple page format? Yes, it makes sense when one considers the additional revenue that multiple pages each with an ad or two can bring in, but gah, it's ever so annoying!

It's times like this that I wish for the introduction of a Generator Impact Statement. Bugger the family, I'm the one who doesn't want to be inconvenienced!

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Give it time and you'll get use to it :)

There are some parts which resemble the news.com.au site

Generator

HSC
N/A
I guess that I will get used to it in time. However, till then I think that I'll continue to spend more time listening to the ABC than I do reading through the fairfax broadsheets' websites.

Heh thanks for the tip, waf and ntb, but my daily reading habits already take in murdoch's national rag. It's coverage of the federal arena is quite good, despite the paper's editorial line.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I too do not like multipage format. Write a letter they may change it.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Surely I cannot be alone in hating the new layout, especially the way in which many articles are now provided in a multiple page format? Yes, it makes sense when one considers the additional revenue that multiple pages each with an ad or two can bring in, but gah, it's ever so annoying!

It's times like this that I wish for the introduction of a Generator Impact Statement. Bugger the family, I'm the one who doesn't want to be inconvenienced!
Aye. I don't like it either... it takes longer to get to anything and the multiple pages structure is equally irritating.

It looks a bit 'fresher' but accessibility should be as much a priority as aesthetics.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
As an online journalism student who was lucky enough to have an interesting speaker from fairfax digital in her class earlier this year, I can understand why they have made the changes.... particularly when you look at which stories get the most traffic etc, so now heaps of the entertainment stories are split, as well as columnists like Ms Devine etc so they can have two sites of ad revenue. Also the way "quirky" stories are highlighted by the box on the side which changes every few seconds etc.

But I also don't like the two page navigation thing, it's annoying. In terms of navigation I don't think anything else has changed significantly. The only thing that I dislike is the splitting of the articles, everything else is basically just cosmetic and doesn't really change usability that much.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://blogs.smh.com.au/newsblog/archives//002842.html

Glad to see they listen to their reader's concerns :) (I found it interesting that the page layout on this page had not changed to the new one)

Stuck onto a wall near where we sit is a print out of an email sent by a reader called Eero. It was sent at 4:50am on Tuesday, May 19, 1998 and it says in part ...

"The new SMH page is garbage, bring back the old one. I will not visit your site till this is done."

Whenever we redesign the site or introduce a change to the layout, we’ve come to expect a shellacking from our readers.

This time is no different. We've been swamped with emails and public feedback about the changes, many of them highly critical.

1. If it ain't broke ...

Websites are in a constant state of change. Even from day one, we’ll be adjusting aspects of the new site. Every day, someone "discovers" a better way of doing or presenting something. Ultimately, you build up to a point where in just makes sense to do a complete makeover. On average, we change the site about once every two years. The last time it had a substantial redesign was in April, 2004 - and we also copped a lot of complaints that time as well.

2. The new site looks too "tabloid".

We’re a bit stumped by this comment. In newspaper terms, "tabloid" suggests that a publication has gone downmarket. ie that racier, more populist subjects take precedence over more solid, worthy topics. That’s not the case here, the content is exactly the same. The major change to the home page is the addition of The Planner on the right hand side, the box that lists the "what to do" features. Other than that, the mix of features on the home page is much the same.

3. The old site was easier to read and navigate/bring back the old design

This may be a case of getting used to the new look and feel and the new navigation. The navigation bar has move from being a fixture on the left hand side to a dropdown across the top. This was intended to allow more space for stories by "tucking away" the navigation bar. We will continue to adjust the new design to iron out any unintended consequences.

4. Why do you need to spread stories out over multiple pages?

Many sites use this pagination method. However, we've heard you loud and clear on this one and we’re looking into a fix that we think will solve the problem. Stay tuned for more details.

5. I can’t find Column 8, Spike, Strange but True, Letters Cartoon, Obituary etc

They’re still all linked off the home page. Some of these features are linked off the "Time Out" bar near the top of the page. Others you’ll find linked off the "Opinion" bar, about halfway down the home page. You can also find these popular page via the search box (on every page) or via the site guide.
This pop up image may be helpful.

7. Why do I have to scroll sideways to see the whole site?

The new web site is optimised for computer screens with standard screen resolution settings of 1024x768 which represent most of our audience. The text only version of the site will fit most computer screens without scrolling and is available at this address: http://smh.com.au/text/.
Alternatively, on most computers you will be able to change your screen resolution to fit the wider resolution. Please consult
this Microsoft page for instructions for Windows computers."

8. Why doesn’t the site work/look good on my (non-IE) browser?

The new site was tested on IE, Firefox, Safari and Opera for both Window and Mac operating systems. However, the addition of plugins, extensions and ad blockers etc may affect the rendering of the site in your browser. If you need more advice about your specific technical problems, please contact our helpdesk here.
They've advised us that increasing the resolution (In Windows: setting > control panel > display > settings) may fix some of the problems you're encountering.

Regards,

Stephen Hutcheon
site editor
smh.com.au

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
I read about that yesterday, and I'm happy to see that something will be done. I must admit that at the moment I agree with the tabloid feel - the SMH may be a broadsheet (not that you would know from time to time), but the way in which the articles are no presented on the website just gives the sense that they are more concerned with style than with substance, but I know that I will lose this feeling after a time.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
they should include those tiny 2 paragraph or so articles...some of them are quite interesting..

Generator

HSC
N/A
Fwoa, we can now view a multiple-page article on a single page.

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
i think once you register you should be able to "customise" the home pages, move the different module thingys around and stuff, if u know what i mean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)