The Crucible and Belonging (1 Viewer)

sophi.love

HSC
crucible related texts

Does anyone have any related texts that relate to 'The Crucible' by Arthur Miller. suggestions will be greatly appreciated :wave:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: crucible related texts

In The Name Of The Father? :p

Da Nawty Dragon

HSC

wow thats a nice cartoon. has a lot to do with the crucible but for the exam how could i analyse so much from this image :|

i need help however to find additional texts. Poem and something sophisticated like that would be very nice.

Last edited:

bettina44

HSC

Da Nawty Dragon said:
wow thats a nice cartoon. has a lot to do with the crucible but for the exam how could i analyse so much from this image :|

i need help however to find additional texts. Poem and something sophisticated like that would be very nice.
yeah that's why i chose it,cause its easy to relate to and just analyse the bits you think is most important
how bout harry wood by john foulcher?its also a easy one

sophi.love

HSC

i have no idea what to use. i dont even understand where the belonging in the crucible is? what kind of belonging is it? can someone please explain. thanks :)

iCpurplehippos

HSC

sophi.love said:
i have no idea what to use. i dont even understand where the belonging in the crucible is? what kind of belonging is it? can someone please explain. thanks :)
Yeah!! Me too. Bad thing is my teacher's only reading the book with us and telling us what it's about every now and then. She tells us nothing about belonging. :uhoh: So yes..I'm screwed.

I'm planning to do 'Looking for Alibrandi' for one of my related texts. Is that a good idea? Will I be able to make links?

Mithead

HSC

There are lots of examples of belonging in The Crucible. At the most basic of levels: Salem wants John Proctor to belong, John Proctor doesnt want to belong. All the other ones stem from that core conflict of the play...

timothy555

HSC

sophi.love said:
Does anyone have any related texts that relate to 'The Crucible' by Arthur Miller. suggestions will be greatly appreciated :wave:
I got a good book called the promise of the wolves by Dorothy Hearst. Im using that for my related text in THE CRUCIBLE.

gingerwitch28

HSC

So far I've used Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka - the way each 'act' of the story ends at a dramatic moment is similar to how it's used in The Crucible, and I've used Buffy the Vampire Slayer 3x11 - "Gingerbread" which is about persecution of outsiders and mass hysteria etc.

lovedilara

HSC

u seem to know the crucible..
i was thinking of the movie "13" or "the village"
do u think these would be good related texts?

rubookmark

HSC
Uni Grad

Mithead said:
There are lots of examples of belonging in The Crucible. At the most basic of levels: Salem wants John Proctor to belong, John Proctor doesnt want to belong. All the other ones stem from that core conflict of the play...
In The Crucible's case, I thought it was more about conforming than belonging. I think The Crucible is more a text about not belonging.

John Proctor feels he doesn't belong to the Puritan community after sleeping with Abigail. While John Proctor wants to belong, Abigail doesn't want to live the Puritan lifestyle after her "eyes have been opened".

As for a suitable related text, Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult is a good novel (although, it may be too similar to Crucible).
Anything with the idea of not wanting to belong or maybe even peer pressure will work.

bettina44

HSC

lovedilara said:
hey do u know the name of that cartoon?
nope tried looking up the other day couldn't anything so i'm just gonna called it 'another loser has been fades into obscurity' or something

lovedilara

HSC

oh yeah, and soph.. i love you :)
hahhahahhaha xx

lovedilara

HSC
BELONGING: The crucible

My class is studying the Crucible at the moment and we are suppsoe to find texts that relate so we can compare OR contrast...

the story is based on the salem tragedy (the witchcraft trials of 1962)...
anyways it touches on heaps of themes in belonging but the one i was thinking of concentrating on is community vs individual:

"But you must understand, sir, that a person is either with the court or he must be counted against it, there be no road inbetween"

Salem is a tight knit community where there in no privacy. Individual activities are focused upon and if they were undesireable (not going to church, dealing with witchcraft) they would be cast out to try and keep the community together. People were put under great pressure to confess(if they didn't they were hung), but to confess they had to give the name of another "wrong doer", so eventually it spirals out of control and people start using the confessions as a way to get revenge or aquire land...

so does anyone know any texts that would follow the lines of this concept.. or any other themes of belong (be it social, political, religious, moral, physical, sexual or any others)

any help would be appreciated

thanks people.. peace

sannous1

HSC
Re: BELONGING: The crucible

hey i alreadi posted this comment on another thread but anywho

hey im doin crucible for my text at school also and to be honest i dnt even noe one thing about it, seriously i think i shuld start readin it soon :p

Yeh anywho, i also hav 2 find related material for belonging, and sum how relate it to crucible, i was ttelln my teacher that it would be kind of hard relating text to a book like that , but he said, u dnt exactly hav to find the simililarities of both texts, or the differences, saying for eg in this text, it says this about belonging, whist in this text it means sumthn else. he said u can jjust talk about how both texts , show the concept of belonging, and if its possibile to link ur raletd text to the crucible, to do it then, but i think i/u shuld still somhow relate our texts to the crucible
but yeh im not sure, my teacher said we can do it like that, shes gona mark it correct , the way she told us to set it out, im not too sure wat u teacher wuld say

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=192596

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

Are you doing Advanced or standard? Our standard classes are doing the crucible :spin:

sannous1

HSC

ekoolish said:
Are you doing Advanced or standard? Our standard classes are doing the crucible :spin:
hey i dno if ur talkn 2 me in regards but anyway lol, were advancd and were doing the crucilbe, alot of other advance classes r too :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)