The Byron Bay Schoolies Guide. (1 Viewer)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I posted this in another thread, and thought it would be of more use here. I may add more soon. Hope it helps ya'll!

Hey. I have practically lived in Byron every weekend for about 5 years now. This is a small guide to the town.

Just a note: If your going to get anywhere, you'll need to know where the Byron Bay bus shelter is. The Bus Shelter is where all of the big cross-country coaches stop, therefore all information for visitors is scattered closely to that area. The Byron Bay bus shelter can be found accross the road from the Byron Bay Community Centre.

Just behind the shelter is The Bay's main information kiosk, and behind the kiosk is The Rails. This is actually a good place to start your club rounds.

Beware of the bus shelter at night, though. Much of the bad things that happen in Byron, happen at the shelter at night.

Accomodation:

- There are a few YHA's around Byron's CBD. Simply walk into an info centre and ask for the location.
- Hotels and Motels are plentiful, although you may need to finance transport to and from.
- There are also some shared houses that offer accomodation to tourists and visitors
- Backpackers lodges are everywhere in Byron. If you just go for a stroll, I'll guarantee you'll eventually find one.

Transport:

Various modes of transport around The Bay

A 20 buck note will definitely get you to the Byron Bay bus shelter from Suffolk Park via taxi. Done that a few times.

The taxi service in Byron Bay is great, it is even better if you book a Maxi Taxi and everyone puts in. Depending on where you are going and the amount of people in the van, you could be paying 2 bux for a ride into the CBD.

A hire car is always an option. There are a few hire centers in the CBD, but it could be easier to just walk into a travel agent, internet cafe, or backpackers info centre and ask about them. One hire car centre can be found next to the Byron bus shelter.

Busses during the Weekdays will arrive at each stop once every hour. During the weekend (not sure if this still happens for schoolies) the busses only run once every few hours. They may organise shuttle busses, but this is unlikely.

MAKE SURE you have taken note of the last bus time for where you are going, as if you only have enough money for the bus back home, and you miss the final bus... You are in trouble. Hitchhiking is an option, but be carefull who you get in a car with. After all... It IS Byron Bay.

Clubs and Entertainment:

There are numerous clubs in the Byron CBD:

- Cheeky Monkeys (Restaraunt and party bar)
- Railway Friendly Bar aka. "The Rails" (Free live music and restaraunt)
- Cocomangas (Byron's longest running nightclub)
- Lala land (club and bar)
- Hotel Great Northern (Multi-entertainment centre. The front is a pub, but the back is a hall with a rather large stage)
- The beach hotel (THE BEST live entertainment centre in the Byron Shire. Bar, club and food served)

These are just a few, but they are the best venues in the Byron CBD.

Munchies:

- Bay Kebabs (best kebab shop in Byron. Open till 3am). Situated just as you come into byron over the railway tracks.
- Fishheads fish and chips (slightly over-priced fish and chips, near the beach. Not sure what time they close, but they close later then most F&C shops).
- Eagle Boys Pizza are open late.
- Domino's Pizza are open to compete with Eagle Boys.
- Baskin Robbins icecream close around 8:30 - 9:00 as far as I know.

Don't hesitate to stumble into any open food shop.

Good places to relax on your final day (or if your so hung-over you can't go on) include:

- Obviously the main beach at byron.
- Watego's beach, usually void of other schoolies and much quieter than main beach (requires a drive, or taxi. Don't know if busses run there).
- If your feeling adventurous, venture outside of byron bay, and head to Brunswick Heads. The Brunswick Hotel is a great little hotel that has a great atmosphere, is right on the river and is a short walk from the Beach. Usually cool temerature-wise all year round because of sea-breeze and wind coming off the river. The coutyard is picturesque and the food served is great.
- The Beach Hotel is a great relaxing place during the day. Live music, drinks, sun (and air con), and the beach is just a stroll away.
- The teatree lakes (very soothing swimming area located north on the highway just outside Byron itself. It is located on Gray's Lane, a dirt road. You may want a local to show you. Just one thing... It is also a prime nudist destination. Go round the back if you are uncomfortable with this.

Safety:

- Beware of the bus shelter at night. I know I said this before, but this is where most of the bad happenings in byron, well, happen. Much of the local homeless population of Byron Bay tend to hang around the shelter at night, and tend to get a little aggressive. If your going to The Rails, walk around the back of the shelter through The Rails carpark.

- As usual in any place, don't walk down the side-streets and alleyways at night. Many people have made this mistake in Byron.

- There is always at least one police patrol car on the road at one time. This is boosted to 3, or maybe even 5 during large events.

- Police foot patrols may be deployed during Schoolies. They tend to walk into the pubs and clubs, so this could be a good thing, or a bad thing for some, depending on how you look at it.

- The rangers patrol and can usually be of assistance.

-The bouncers in Byron are well-trained. They are extreamly good at recognising fake I.D., so, be carefull, all you frauds :D.

Public toilets: Can be found in the park, a few steps towards the center of Byron from the Bus Shelter, and Down near the beach, in the blue building behind the playground in the park. I only know of these two. They may deploy porta-potties in some areas.

Last note: Even if your not one for tourist attractions, I reccomend looking at the Byron Bay Lighthouse. It's the most eastern point of Australia. You'll see alot of pictures of the lighthouse in and around Byron. It can be a bit of a hike up there. Catch public transport or drive to the base.

Hope this guide helps in the schoolies plight!

Links to help ya'll:
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel...directory/bars
http://www.byron-bay.com/maps/index.html
http://www.thebyronatbyron.com.au/by...teractive-map/

Contact me if you need info.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
SuperHayden asked me about methods of travel to and from the Ballina Gateway Airport and Byron Bay:

There are a few ways to get to and from the Ballina Airport.

Blanch's bus company are the main public transport Busses around the Byron Shire, and they run to and from the Airport:
http://www.blanchs.com.au/route640toairport.html
http://www.blanchs.com.au/641_NEW_Timetable.pdf
Route 240 goes direct to the Airport.
Only thing with Blanch's is that your running on their timetable.

This site lists a few shuttle services:
http://www.ballina.info/airport/airport-transfers.php

But my personal favourite is the Byron EasyBus:
http://www.byronbayshuttle.com.au/
They can do a trip from the Ballina Gateway Airport to Byron Bay for around $15. This may be an option if you got a group of people going. May not be an option if it's only you and a friend, etc.

Taxi may not be an option, as the price could get a little out of hand.

I may actually be in ballina when you arrive. I'm doing a few runs to pick people up for schoolies. Dunno though.

Hope this helps.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Just a thread reviver, as many people are asking about Byron Bay schoolies. This thread should be of use.

HSC
Ahaha, lol. Sorry, I used to live just outside Byron and reading this kinda stuff is funny cause it seems so different to me. Thanks for looking out for the tourists, though.

WARNING: BYRON SHOPS/ACCOMMODATION PUT THEIR PRICES UP SIGNIFICANTLY DURING SCHOOLIES/HOLIDAYS PERIODS.

Also, backpackers often provide many free activities and beach equipment and free shuttles bus daily to and from nimbin :)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
settle*precious said:
Ahaha, lol. Sorry, I used to live just outside Byron and reading this kinda stuff is funny cause it seems so different to me. Thanks for looking out for the tourists, though.

WARNING: BYRON SHOPS/ACCOMMODATION PUT THEIR PRICES UP SIGNIFICANTLY DURING SCHOOLIES/HOLIDAYS PERIODS.

Also, backpackers often provide many free activities and beach equipment and free shuttles bus daily to and from nimbin :)
They don't jack up their prices anymore, as far as I can tell. I've been there during the Blues Fest, Woodford and the last Christmas break and nothing was upped in price...

Although all the shops tend to overcharge now. The Woolworths has been rated as the second most expensive Woolworths in Australia. They used to jack up the prices, but now the prices are always higher than usual.

HSC
AusBluesMan said:
They don't jack up their prices anymore, as far as I can tell. I've been there during the Blues Fest, Woodford and the last Christmas break and nothing was upped in price...

Although all the shops tend to overcharge now. The Woolworths has been rated as the second most expensive Woolworths in Australia. They used to jack up the prices, but now the prices are always higher than usual.
cause byron has becoming a tourist magnet pretty much all year round.. I know locals who get discounts heaps. Accomodation jack up the prices though.

yourmumishere.

HSC
[FONT=verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]we have 19 people in our year and about 10 of us are mates and the other 7 are friends and they're like friends with us... but not. and us 6 girls and 4 boys (10) mates are going up to QLD and the others are going to Byron Bay (King Cliff) started researching and stuff [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]and its really crap. if you want awesome parties, great weather and a nice resort/apartnment to stay at, qld is the way to go. been there and done that guys, byron bay is not as good as it seems.
(Y)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
10 + 7 = 19????? Woah...... I know you said about... but what happened to the other two people lol

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
It's okay Caitlin...

Counting is for losers.

hayyleyy

HSC
yourmumishere. said:
[FONT=verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]we have 19 people in our year and about 10 of us are mates and the other 7 are friends and they're like friends with us... but not. and us 6 girls and 4 boys (10) mates are going up to QLD and the others are going to Byron Bay (King Cliff) started researching and stuff [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]and its really crap. if you want awesome parties, great weather and a nice resort/apartnment to stay at, qld is the way to go. been there and done that guys, byron bay is not as good as it seems.
(Y)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
how can you say byron isnt as good as it seems if you havent even been there or anywhere else for schoolies yet?!?!
byron was seriously awsome! the security isnt half as bad as surfers and there is still heaps of people there and heaps to do for underage people :) everyone just hung out at the beach and then went to house parties.... it was soooo much fun!
and you think that surfers is the only place for good weather and nice apartments?!?! think again.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
brunswick heads is a nice relaxing town 15 mins from byron.
really good beach with not alot of people and squeaky white sand.

HSC
Sounds good you guys having a good time! Byron and Brunswick and Lennox Head are good places for holidaying.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Just bringing this thread back to life.

There are heaps of Byron Bay question threads being posted. Thought that this may help a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)