The Black Balloon (1 Viewer)

90atar

HSC
Hey again, If you have read my "I am Sam" topic then you might know what I am going to be on about...

I am currently working out my related texts for Belonging next year and I am struggling to find specific techniques (more than in I am Sam) in The Black Balloon because it is such a straight forward film in terms of cinematography.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me through my predicament as I would like to be using the best stuff out of my ORT's and what I have at the moment isn't sufficient enough to be prepared essentially for an essay.

With this in mind, I am travelling on the right path with connecting the film to the essences of Belonging, I have identified that;
  • Belonging can have negative repercussions for the individual (Thomas)
  • Connections to people can create a sense of Belonging through relationships, acceptance and understanding (The family and Thomas and the girl)
  • Barriers in society can prevent belonging (Charlie with autism and ADHD, preventing him from leading a normal life and going to the same school as Thomas)
  • Belonging can enrich our identity leading to acceptance and understanding (Basically what Thomas learns after he has the fight with Charlie, and his makeup with him)
  • Some individuals will choose not to Belong (Thomas tries to lock away his family life, especially when Jackie comes to the door initially)
So if anyone has done/or is doing the Black Balloon i would really appreciate some help! Especially if I have helped you with the above.

Cheers,

90atar

HSC
Bump...Anybody? I am just not that confident with what I have come up with ;)

K

khorne

You do realise no one here (in a rather small sample space) has done a specific book/film whatever.

You need to do it yourself, and develop the skills. Watch/read several times looking for certain techniques or whatever. Find quotes.egs which back up your statements and then find a technique to fit.

90atar

HSC
You do realise no one here (in a rather small sample space) has done a specific book/film whatever.

You need to do it yourself, and develop the skills. Watch/read several times looking for certain techniques or whatever. Find quotes.egs which back up your statements and then find a technique to fit.
I was just trying, and their is nothing wrong with getting some help and clarification.

jnney

lemon
HSC
i was contemplating doing this text before. i remember there were some very powerful scenes within the film

-the intro, labelling of objects, such as 'fence' etc etc. the screen is clouded with words everywhere.
-the part where charlie starts doing *you know what* at dinner when thomas' gf is over
-the specific dialogue when thomas and his girlfriend is lying under the rocks when it's raining, in the forest. he says something about charlie's world being all muffled, and then closes his eyes. [use of imagery]

what effect do the above have on the audience? how does it make us feel? uncomfortable? sympathetic? how does this relate to the underlying notions of belong? how does it enable us to gain a greater understanding of the area of study?

you should really be watching the film 4 or 5 times if you are struggling to pin point specific scenes. wiki 'film techniques' too.

90atar

HSC
i was contemplating doing this text before. i remember there were some very powerful scenes within the film

-the intro, labelling of objects, such as 'fence' etc etc. the screen is clouded with words everywhere.
-the part where charlie starts doing *you know what* at dinner when thomas' gf is over
-the specific dialogue when thomas and his girlfriend is lying under the rocks when it's raining, in the forest. he says something about charlie's world being all muffled, and then closes his eyes. [use of imagery]

what effect do the above have on the audience? how does it make us feel? uncomfortable? sympathetic? how does this relate to the underlying notions of belong? how does it enable us to gain a greater understanding of the area of study?

you should really be watching the film 4 or 5 times if you are struggling to pin point specific scenes. wiki 'film techniques' too.
Thanks, Yeah I have watched it actually a couple of times since posting and it is getting a little clearer to me.

K

khorne

I was just trying, and their is nothing wrong with getting some help and clarification.
there*

I'm just saying.

You are not asking for help or clarification. You are asking for someone to DO the work for you. Don't. It won't get you far at all. If you're too stupid to pick up techniques in a simple film, good luck with your atar. But I reason that it's nothing to do with intelligence, but more to do with laziness.

90atar

HSC
there*

I'm just saying.

You are not asking for help or clarification. You are asking for someone to DO the work for you. Don't. It won't get you far at all. If you're too stupid to pick up techniques in a simple film, good luck with your atar. But I reason that it's nothing to do with intelligence, but more to do with laziness.
Well sorry if it sounded that way, I have already compiled some solid techniques, but I wanted to make sure that I was getting ALL of them and the BEST ones.

K

khorne

there is no best ones and you can never get all of them. You get the ones you find. Part of the english mark is analysis, not stealing other peoples does not do the system justice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)