The best maths book for 2unit+3unit [poll] (1 Viewer)

WHICH MATHS BOOK IS THE BEST !!

• Total voters

M@ster P

HSC
If you're going to use Maths In Focus, you might as well use your Year 10 Signpost.
Maths in Focus is good for basics, then you move onto harder books and past papers.

If you purely rely on Maths in Focus, then you are in trouble

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
what our teacher generally does is he gets us to do a couple of questions from maths in focus and then gives us all these hard examples on the board. There's nothing extremely bad about maths in focus, although some of Margaret's solutions are obviously incorrect its just very basic and you need more resources.

On a side note our teacher actually met the woman who wrote it :p

isabelle101

HSC
Maths in Focus is probably okay to start with (in like yr 11...)
But don't stick with it for too long otherwise when you start doing trial papers and past hsc papers they're guna seem so frikin hard!!

As to which is the best txtbook...really hard to choose
I reckon it's best to use a combination of all 3 (fitzpatrick, cambridge and coroneus) so you get to see a variety of different styles of questions and problems.

Personally, coroneus just puts me off maths (can't they jazz it up a bit more?!?) it must be world's most boring maths book... :sleep:

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Haha! I've got my self Maths in Focus and Fitzy for 3un.

They complement well.
Maths in Focus is actually o-k for 2 unit. But Ex1, you really need something more.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Jones and Couchman, as that is the only textbook I actually use. I tend to study with past papers rather than textbook

daryl-d

HSC
dont like fitzpatrick, never used corones, i though cambridge is challenging

i never really used the text book that much- past papers cover the course pretty well

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Jones and Couchman, as that is the only textbook I actually use. I tend to study with past papers rather than textbook
same ^_^ +1

dont like fitzpatrick, never used corones, i though cambridge is challenging

i never really used the text book that much- past papers cover the course pretty well
I don't like Fitzpatrick either... maybe because my school only has the older versions.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
our school uses fitz for 2+3 unit, so i'm a bit biased lol
imo cambridge is too fat.

micuzzo

HSC
i used maths in focus and i turned out alright :)
i think maths in focus is great for 2U... along with papers that is... for 3U.. well it could be better... but in saying that it explains some things better than Fitz...

Fitz is ok though... but its explaination for alot of things is wayy over the top and simply convoluted.

I look at coroneous once... the ugliest thing ive ever seen...made me want to cry!

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
our school uses fitz for 2+3 unit, so i'm a bit biased lol
imo cambridge is too fat.
Agreed

The font makes it worse, the letters are so thin which makes it annoying to read

I reckon if they made it a thicker font and popped in a couple of pictures here and there it would be better

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
i think maths in focus is great for 2U... along with papers that is... for 3U.. well it could be better... but in saying that it explains some things better than Fitz...

Fitz is ok though... but its explaination for alot of things is wayy over the top and simply convoluted.

I look at coroneous once... the ugliest thing ive ever seen...made me want to cry!
Hahahahahah! THE ugliest thing you have ever seen? Dayyyumm.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
maths in focus is like baby maths.
Cambridge: hard and I like the exam style questions but why doesn't the Year 11 book cover everything? It's a heavy textbook and the exercises are sooooo long too.
Fitzpatrick: good, but the exercises are also horribly long
Coroneos: dunno anything about this one
Jones and Couchman: good textbook to provide practice/understanding of a topic.

I have Fitz, Jones and Couchman and Cambridge, but I hardly use Fitzpatrick and Cambridge. Something about them puts me off the books.

ikarusdanoz

HSC
avoid maths in focus at all costs, cambridge is probably the best overall...and couchman for theory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)