The 2004 HSC - Engineering Studies Paper (1 Viewer)

K

kenni_chen

Cactus said:
nope, no legend, just the symbols. I checked my syllabus and there is no mention of logic gates.
maybe not in syllabus but it was in one of the text books our school used; ones from TAFE:
Engineering Studies
HSC Course
Stage 6

^ 5 texts for 5 topic altogether 8cm in thickness *rolles eyes*

anywayz im jus wondering which text bks other schools use for engineering?

btw: ashmeet_14 ur HSC maker teacher jus got "OWNED" ~ tell him to gime a call, i give free tutoring lessons on electronics :p lol jk

ShaunSmith

HSC
we use the "engineering the definitive guide - stage 2"
or something to that affect

dannye_36

Yeah, just looked over the syllabus again, no mention.

The only place where they could sorta say it was, to cover their stupidness, was Control Technology - Digital Technology. But still, thats pretty stupid, as if they use that as an excuse, then where's Binary arithmatic, etc (other stuff to do with digital circuits). In other words, they really have no excuse that i can see for putting it in.

And no, they didnt have a legend. I am soooo happy i did SDD otherwise, i would've had no idea.

dannye_36

The Paper

Alright, i scanned in a copy of the multiple choice section of the paper. If anyone wants to touch these up, put em' in an adobe file, and submit them to bos, thats cool, i would, but i've already taken too much time away from studying for maths than i should have. Anyway, here are the links to them: (Just click on the thumbnails for the bigger version)

Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 -

Oh yeah, and heres a cut out of the controversal logic gate question:

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
McLake said:
Well then that should be "A". Did the test have a "legend" of the symbols, or did they just expect you to know? Because, as others have said, logic gates are NOT part of the sylabus (unless it has changed since '02). Hmm ...
We had covered them in class as part of electronics for telecommunications. I think there is a small section on Boolean logic.

stevenwong86

For the counter weight question, I put the tension as 3 times the weight force of the coutnerweight. I figured that because there are 2 pulleys, the mechanical advantage must be 3. Can somebody confirm this?

ShaunSmith

HSC
i got 3 times the force but no logic was used so i cant confirm it lol

K

kenni_chen

ShaunSmith said:
i got 3 times the force but no logic was used so i cant confirm it lol
hmm there were 3 pulleys so i divided 12t x 10N by 3

:S

im not sure

ShaunSmith

HSC
with that logic gate question can we sue the school for not teaching us that when we get a lower then expected mark and uai

ShaunSmith

HSC
haha well back to study for maths, its soooo easy 2 unit love the bludge.
3 hr exam my arse ill be out of there after 2 id say.

spio

I was a bit confused with the tension/counterweight question. So i did three sets of answers :) . My engineering teacher said that they will mark anything on the test paper, just as long as you dont fill in the final answer box

scottieh

how easy

that exam was piss compared to mathematics

i hammered the exam or maybe it was my quality teacher, what a champ or "one" the tool from newcastle tafe/ uni i cant remember

thumbs down to whingers you dont deserve engineering if u didnt ace the exam, find another career cos we dont want u building cars ( maybe u could work for ford or hyundai)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
scottieh said:
thumbs down to whingers you dont deserve engineering if u didnt ace the exam, find another career cos we dont want u building cars ( maybe u could work for ford or hyundai)
1. People that do engineering studies do not necessarily want to pursue a career in that field (and vice versa)
2. Nobody "don't deserve" to do a subject, people should do whatever they like (maybe an exception to people who are bad at a well scaled subject but do it because they think they'll get a good mark, then they're just screwing themselves up)
3. Engineering is as much as working in a group as knowing your stuff. With that attitude I don't think people want to work with you, so you won't be doing any engineering either.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
scottieh said:

i hammered the exam or maybe it was my quality teacher, what a champ or "one" the tool from newcastle tafe/ uni i cant remember

What school do u go to? I wonder how many wankers named Scottie H do engineering

ChrisE

HSC
scottieh said:
sure mate, some of us like me did it just because we enjoy the field not necessarily to get into it when we leave school. i hope myself and others who found this test rather difficult obtain a far higher mark than you do.

itisme123

HSC
Cactus said:
it means

a) they only just got home, or
b) it was a 3 hr exam and everyone wants to not think ever again

lol

a few things;

Did anyone else think that the inclusion of a logic gate question in the multiple choice section was unfair, seeing as logic gates are not mentioned anywhere in the syllabus. I know my class never covered it, and it's not in our textbook..........

The drawing questions were hard, but aside from that I didn't have any troubles.....fingers crossed

I did engineering last year and logic gates ARE part of the course they are covered in the telecomunications section!!!

so either you, or your teacher forgot to look at them but it is included in most textbooks

MoNNiE

HSC
scottieh said:

It’s not necessarily the quality of the teacher,
Its how the person applies their own effort into their own study, the teacher is only there to guide students...

I didn't really ace my engineering studies exam last year, and it doesn't matter in the end if u didn't or not!

and smart alec, engineering is not just about building cars... there are also other fields such as electrical, telecommunications, chemical, civil, environmental, mechatronics, mechanical, biomedical, materials and science, AERONAUTICAL just to name some..

As for working for companies such as ford or Hyundai, dude opens your eyes and stop being naive! Those companies are just as good as any other, they may not have the glitz and glamour like BMW or Lotus, but they are still doing a job that requires skill~
(And don't dis ford, they own jaguar...

Engineering studies just does a 'sample' of these various fields, a student may find that they are better at a certain module then they are at another

edit:added aeronautical for xayma's sake ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)