• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The 2004 HSC - Engineering Studies Paper (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Messages
4,187
Location
The Shire
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
Can you describe it in detail? I am curious ...

Or can somone scan/digitally photograph/re-draw it for me ...
 

LUDA-3G

New Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
11
Location
Anna Bay - Port Stephens
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
I thought that it was harder then my trial exam. There was alot more emphasis on drawings in my trial (15 marks per question) so i studied hard on drawings to get good marks and only had a 3, and 4 mark question dissapointed. And my mechanics and formulae questions i completely stuffed up. Couldnt even find the reactions on the bridge!! I think i did ok in the short response questions (i aced them in the trials especially aeronautical). I still felt really really stupid after leaving that exam but im so glad for no more engineering for me ever!!
 

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Joined
Dec 9, 2003
Messages
487
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
Q9.

"A traffic light will change to green for a vehicle if either;

- the pedestrian button is NOT pusher, OR
- the vehicle is waiting.

Which simple logic circuit indicates this condition?"

(I looked up the symbols in my PHYSICS textbook because it's in the silicon option, nowhere to be found in the Engineering book though.)

This is kind of hard (cos its a diagram on the paper) but i will do my best

A. PEDESTRIAN BUTTON -> NOT GATE -> INPUT A OF OR GATE
VEHICLE WAITING -> INPUT B OF OR GATE

B. PEDESTRIAN BUTTON -> INPUT A OF OR GATE
VEHICLE WAITING -> NOT GATE -> INPUT B OF OR GATE

C. PEDESTRIAN BUTTON -> NOT GATE -> INPUT A OF AND GATE
VEHICLE WAITING -> INPUT B OF AND GATE

D. PEDESTRIAN BUTTON -> INPUT A OF AND GATE
VEHICLE WAITING -> NOT GATE -> INPUT B OF AND GATE
 

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Joined
Dec 9, 2003
Messages
487
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
LUDA-3G said:
I thought that it was harder then my trial exam. There was alot more emphasis on drawings in my trial (15 marks per question) so i studied hard on drawings to get good marks and only had a 3, and 4 mark question dissapointed. And my mechanics and formulae questions i completely stuffed up. Couldnt even find the reactions on the bridge!! I think i did ok in the short response questions (i aced them in the trials especially aeronautical). I still felt really really stupid after leaving that exam but im so glad for no more engineering for me ever!!
serious about 15 mark drawing questions. there has never been more than a 4 mark drawing question in the HSC.
 

LUDA-3G

New Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
11
Location
Anna Bay - Port Stephens
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
A traffic light will change to green for a vehicle if either:

- The pedestrian button is NOT pushed, OR
- The vehicle is waiting.

Which simple logic circuit indicates this condition?

(A) Pedestrian Button ------(NOT GATE)-----(OR GATE)----- GREEN
Vehicle Waiting---------- (Into OR GATE)

(B) Pedestrian Button -------------(OR GATE)------- GREEN
Vehicle Waiting ------------ (NOT GATE)--------- (Into OR GATE)

(C) Pedestrian Waiting-------------(NOT GATE)-----------(AND GATE)----- GREEN
Vehicle Waiting------------(INTO AND GATE)

(D) Pedestrian Waiting------------(AND GATE)--------------GREEN
Vehicle Waiting------------(NOT GATE)--------(INTO AND GATE)


hope that makes some sense, you gotta picture the INTO part which is the 2 inputs pretty much.
 

LUDA-3G

New Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
11
Location
Anna Bay - Port Stephens
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
I never saw any past HSC engineering papers. Its not a big issue for me at the moment cause its not a requisit for my future. So i am more focused on software and IT. Yeah serious, pretty sure they were between 10-15 marks for assembly drawings.

Does anyone remember when sectioning the handle in the drawing part..... The dimenisons of the nut that went in the handle?? I couldnt find any dimensions or anything for it? Or is it like an AS1100 standardised nut or somethin stupid? I spent forever making sure that was right.
 

Xayma

Lacking creativity
Joined
Sep 6, 2003
Messages
5,953
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
It was a, I might scan the stuff for you after chemistry mclake. Quite a fun test.
 

seean

New Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
13
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
the drawing wanted AS1100 spec. things, the nut is 0.8d or 8 mm in the drawing.
I found the exam pretty easy, no idea what the multiple choice control circuit thing meant :S
Our trial was alot harder than that and our teacher went into to much detail on every aspect which prob made it easier. Ah well no more engineering ever.
 

LUDA-3G

New Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
11
Location
Anna Bay - Port Stephens
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
seean said:
the drawing wanted AS1100 spec. things, the nut is 0.8d or 8 mm in the drawing.
I found the exam pretty easy, no idea what the multiple choice control circuit thing meant :S
Our trial was alot harder than that and our teacher went into to much detail on every aspect which prob made it easier. Ah well no more engineering ever.
The nut only had the measurements for the screw thread and the inner diameter. I needed to know how long the nut was so i could fit it in the end of the handle... I think i just drew it as being 10mm.
Ah well no use dwelling on it now.
 

seean

New Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
13
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
LUDA-3G said:
The nut only had the measurements for the screw thread and the inner diameter. I needed to know how long the nut was so i could fit it in the end of the handle... I think i just drew it as being 10mm.
Ah well no use dwelling on it now.
the question asked for you to use AS1100 specs. so goin by that the length of the nut had to be 0.8 times the diameter of the bolt.
as you say no use dwelling on it, cant change anything
 

LUDA-3G

New Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
11
Location
Anna Bay - Port Stephens
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
seean said:
the question asked for you to use AS1100 specs. so goin by that the length of the nut had to be 0.8 times the diameter of the bolt.
as you say no use dwelling on it, cant change anything

Ahh thats right!!!! I forgot about that, and i was sposed to be revising that this mornin!
 
K

kenni_chen

Guest
ashmeet_14 said:
My teacher is a hsc marker and he said the answer to the logic gate question is "D"
lol if he thinks its "D" then he needs to go back to high school and learn from the basics lol

AND works in series

where as OR works in parallel

think abt it *draw the circuit out then apply it to the Q.

i wont go into any more detials other then that........pfft i mastered electronic in yr10 :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ShaunSmith

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
60
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
power line tension

can someone explain to me the power line tension question..
???
 

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Joined
Dec 9, 2003
Messages
487
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
i wasnt sure, but i said it was half the weight of the counterweight......just cos it seemed like a good answer
 

ShaunSmith

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
60
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
Cactus said:
i wasnt sure, but i said it was half the weight of the counterweight......just cos it seemed like a good answer
i said it was 3 times the amount of the counter weight but that doesnt make any sense, no idea why now WHY DID I DO THAT
 

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Messages
4,187
Location
The Shire
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
Xayma said:
It was a, I might scan the stuff for you after chemistry mclake. Quite a fun test.
That would be appriciated. Good Luck for Chem ...
 

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Joined
Dec 9, 2003
Messages
487
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
i see the logic, there were 3 pulleys
 

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Messages
4,187
Location
The Shire
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
Cactus said:
Q9.

"A traffic light will change to green for a vehicle if either;

- the pedestrian button is NOT pusher, OR
- the vehicle is waiting.

Which simple logic circuit indicates this condition?"

(I looked up the symbols in my PHYSICS textbook because it's in the silicon option, nowhere to be found in the Engineering book though.)

This is kind of hard (cos its a diagram on the paper) but i will do my best

A. PEDESTRIAN BUTTON -> NOT GATE -> INPUT A OF OR GATE
VEHICLE WAITING -> INPUT B OF OR GATE

B. PEDESTRIAN BUTTON -> INPUT A OF OR GATE
VEHICLE WAITING -> NOT GATE -> INPUT B OF OR GATE

C. PEDESTRIAN BUTTON -> NOT GATE -> INPUT A OF AND GATE
VEHICLE WAITING -> INPUT B OF AND GATE

D. PEDESTRIAN BUTTON -> INPUT A OF AND GATE
VEHICLE WAITING -> NOT GATE -> INPUT B OF AND GATE
LUDA-3G said:
A traffic light will change to green for a vehicle if either:

- The pedestrian button is NOT pushed, OR
- The vehicle is waiting.

Which simple logic circuit indicates this condition?

(A) Pedestrian Button ------(NOT GATE)-----(OR GATE)----- GREEN
Vehicle Waiting---------- (Into OR GATE)

(B) Pedestrian Button -------------(OR GATE)------- GREEN
Vehicle Waiting ------------ (NOT GATE)--------- (Into OR GATE)

(C) Pedestrian Waiting-------------(NOT GATE)-----------(AND GATE)----- GREEN
Vehicle Waiting------------(INTO AND GATE)

(D) Pedestrian Waiting------------(AND GATE)--------------GREEN
Vehicle Waiting------------(NOT GATE)--------(INTO AND GATE)


hope that makes some sense, you gotta picture the INTO part which is the 2 inputs pretty much.
Well then that should be "A". Did the test have a "legend" of the symbols, or did they just expect you to know? Because, as others have said, logic gates are NOT part of the sylabus (unless it has changed since '02). Hmm ...
 

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Joined
Dec 9, 2003
Messages
487
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
nope, no legend, just the symbols. I checked my syllabus and there is no mention of logic gates.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top