Telling someone you Love them? (1 Viewer)

Northern Elias

HSC
If you tell your respective partner that you love them yet they don't say it back what does it mean?

And more so if someone sez they love you what would you intrepret the meaning to be?

J

jhakka

1. They didn't hear you.

2. The same thing I would be meaning if I said it to them.

Northern Elias

HSC
Okey, but for simplicity, let's say they did hear me.

And thing is i view love as simple caring someone to confide in, someone to share with, someone to have fun with.

But my Gf inteprets love as perpetual commitment and thats probably something I couldn't even promise. So how do you know if they think on the same playing field as you?

J

jhakka

If you can't deal with commitment, don't say it. Especially if you know that it's how your girlfriend sees it.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
it doesnt really matter when you say it, it matters if you mean it or not....but then again different people have different views on what it means, so people should try to understand what eachother want out of the relationship in the early stages of dating. if i said it to my partner and he didnt say anything back hahha.....i'd hit his head with a book until he did say something back, lol but i know he loves me anyway so that's not really a problem..but i like to hear it....any girl in a serious relationship would. if somebody said i love you to me, like not my bf, but someone said it out of nowhere, i'd be like ok then......cia bye. maybe they liked me and they felt the need to tell me...but i wouldnt take it seriously, i'm not going to change my feelings for anybody if i don't hold any feelings back.....i'm sure many wouldn't.

=candii=

HSC
sparkl3z said:
it doesnt really matter when you say it, it matters if you mean it or not....
uhuh...so true - like when they say "i love you" back just coz you said it to them first....not bcoz they really mean it :mad1:

rissoleux

HSC
i think theres this big misconception in the world today that if you love someone they automatically MUST love you back or humanity as we know it will go up in flames (okay a bit dramatic) but you know? i If someone told me they loved me, andi didnt love them back, i would let them know tha ti didnt feel the same, but i wouldnt go running for the hills.

i agree with sparkles and candii as well, i'd rather never hear it, then someone say it to me because they felt as though they had to.

shortie_689

HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
yea i told a girl i loved her once

prob shoulda waited till we'd actually gone on our first date rather than just after she'd said yes but what can ya do hey

some girls are just weird
I did find it a bit strange that you confessed your undieing love for me... shame we never went on that date darl

Number7

HSC
Northern Elias said:
If you tell your respective partner that you love them yet they don't say it back what does it mean?

And more so if someone sez they love you what would you intrepret the meaning to be?
Lol are you being serious with Q2?

1. Bad news. It's a make or break choice from there on if someone doesn't reciporacate.

2. I would interpret that they love me.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Northern Elias said:

I think it means that they're not really sure what you are meaning, or what to make of it. 'Love' is such a loaded and complicated word (the semantics of which, I assure you, have been debated since ancient times). If I were them, I'd be thinking - 'wow, am I sure enough of my own feelings?', 'do they mean conditional or unconditional love?', 'does this mean things are getting too serious?', 'is there pressure on me to profess in return, even though I'm not sure?'. Add into the mix the fear of being hurt.

Did you say you loved your partner expecting it in return? Because then that is, in a way, conditional. I think that they need time and space to work it out. I think that after some time, you should clarify what you meant. For example, you can love someone but still want to keep the relationship casual - no strings attached - as long as they know what you mean, and you understand what they feel and want.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Northern Elias said:

1- how long have you been going out?

2- you're young, do you really know what love is? or is its one of those *stupid* crushes you get when you're 14 and you're all like "IM IN LOOOOVE". I dont quite know how they work seeing as I had my first bf when I was 16 blah blah blah

3- Dont cinfuse platonic love with love love

4- I've had guys say it to me and my reply was "You dont know what love is". Seeing as my longest relationship was 3 months. Its not really time based I guess but like... I mean come on 3 months, and not even knowiung me before then.

5- if my current bf said it to me then I'd be like... "no you don't"

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
flipsyde said:
1- how long have you been going out?

2- you're young, do you really know what love is? or is its one of those *stupid* crushes you get when you're 14 and you're all like "IM IN LOOOOVE". I dont quite know how they work seeing as I had my first bf when I was 16 blah blah blah

3- Dont cinfuse platonic love with love love

4- I've had guys say it to me and my reply was "You dont know what love is". Seeing as my longest relationship was 3 months. Its not really time based I guess but like... I mean come on 3 months, and not even knowiung me before then.

yeah...but in that situation, i think time does matter, note that it can be said whenever, but time still impacts, i mean if you just meet somebody and say you love them 2 days after...then that's not really convincing and seems more platonic, you know? but if you knew the person for a long time before confessing your feelings, like been friends with them...or at least have had the chance to observe what they are like with people for a while, then it's more likely for the feelings to hold meaning imo. me and my bf/fianc didnt say anything to eachother when we first started dating, we were just having fun , but we did say it a month later, because we had known eachother for a year prior to dating as friends and had liked eachother during that time too.

Last edited:

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
flipsyde said:
i did this on the weekend. he wasn't impressed, haha.

but it's silly to assume that if yr partner doesn't reciprocate, it means things will never work out. people feel different things & if you feel like you really do love your girlfriend then i would go so far as to say your feelings should remain even if she doesn't think she loves you back (yet). you shouldn't love someone BECAUSE they love you back.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mmm.. it's definitely better for it to go unreplied than for them to say it without meaning- at least this way in the future when they finally do say it, it'll have so much more depth to it. I'd imagine it's a lot better than hearing them say it, and at the back of your mind wondering "Do they really mean it...?"

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
when he says it, it's certain that he always means it

tlodg

HSC
N/A
When I say "I love you", I mean it. When I hear "I love you", I might unconsciously, dangerously believe it's true but on the surface level I'll think "ya right, that's bullshit...."

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Northern Elias said:

It means you should go up to your room and proceed to slide a razor across your jugular.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)