• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ted Hughes - The Birthday Letters (1 Viewer)

Rosalily

HSC
Sylvia and Ted only had two children, Freida and Nicholas (who committed suicide earlier this year). Though to be fair i do think she had a miscarriage at some point and it was a topic of discussion throughout her poems, so that might be where your getting confused. Even so, i agree that it is crucial to understand the backgrounds of both poets as their early lives (e.g. the death of Sylvia's father) and their nationalities (American and English) are an important part of the conflicting perspectives within "Birthday Letters."

Rosalily

HSC
Ha ha. Best response I've ever heard to a mistake like that. Awesome. I know, two suicidal wives, it's hard to imagine he had nothing to do with it. I also hate the fact that he destroyed her diary - that is unforgivable - no one has the right to do that.
I don't no, I've read a few of her journals and she says some pretty awful things about the people she loved. It makes you wonder if she really meant them or if she just wanted to vent. I don't blame Hughes for doing it, some things are meant to be private, and imajine being her kids and growing up thinking that your dead mother hated you when you were less than three years old. I think they had already suffered enough.

mahdi

HSC
Can anyone help me out with related texts? My teachers fail at understanding this module. Are my related texts meant to be Plath's poems? like Lady Lazurus or Daddy? Or are they meant to have no connection with Hughes at all?
My teacher seems to think we are meant to talk about Hughes's own conflicting perspectives within his own poetry. But that doesnt make sense, how can he conflict with his himself?

YumLollipop

HSC
My teacher recommends us find related texts that relate directly to the Plalth/Hughes relationship and also other texts that show conflicting perspectives, which you can compare how conflicting perspectives are shown differently - it's best you find different forms of related texts - the syllabus if requires a demonstration of 'how acts of representation, such as the choice of textual forms, features and language, shape meaning and influence...' Look for biographies, critical essays, interviews etc.

Anyone recommend non-related related texts for Birthday Letters? Texts that show conflicting relationships not relating to Plath/Hughes?

Look at Hughes portrays himself in his poems, as both a victim but often with an accusative, authoriative tone. While it seems that he shifts the blame of Plath's death onto herself, throughout the poems, if you analyse carefully, he does admit from time to time, a sense of resigness, where he felt helpless to do anything in stopping Plath in her path to self-destruction.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Summary of whole module: Plath is crazy.
Hughes is bitter, and blames everything on Plath whilst not so subtly excusing himself from any fault, and even praising his resilience in such an unfortunate relationship.

BTW, we just got our assessment sheet for this Module and I'm interested, what poems will you guys be using as you're main one or two (or three) ? Also, ad. mat. if aplicable...

Time Chef

HSC
Summary of whole module: Both Plath and Hughes are crazy.
Fixed.

I find this module interesting. My class however, has turned it into a "Who's side are YOU on?" contest...which kind of detracts from my enjoyment of Hughes' and Plath's childish behaviours. He was very much "OH! It wasn't ME! It COULDN'T be, because how was I to UNDERSTAND what was going on in HER head!".

Grace0411

HSC
does anyone know the effect of these conflicting perspectives...i.e. what's the meaning we as the audience get from the fact that Hughes and Plath have obviously different views on their relationship...or Hughes conflicting inner views in some poems? THanks

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
does anyone know the effect of these conflicting perspectives...i.e. what's the meaning we as the audience get from the fact that Hughes and Plath have obviously different views on their relationship...or Hughes conflicting inner views in some poems? THanks
I think that what the audience get's from Birthday Letters is that Hughes is a normal guy that unfortunately marries a crazy nut like Plath and how his life is being ruined because of that. But there are also hints throughout the poems that it isn't all one sided that Hughes probably did some wrong as well like in The Minotaur where he was 20minutes late he might of been having an affair with another woman and that is what caused Plath to chuck a spaz attack.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I think they meant the first term of year12, which was the last term of last year
Ha, yeah i meant the first term of year 12, last year. Sorry :S

Okay, I have recieved about 8 PMs requesting notes/my assessment/online tutoring and all I can say is I hand-write my notes, and cannot distribute them to everyone. And no, I'm not willing to scan them in. I am WILLING, however, to answer specific questions about the module. But I'm not going to scan in notes to give to everyone who asks!

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I think that what the audience get's from Birthday Letters is that Hughes is a normal guy that unfortunately marries a crazy nut like Plath and how his life is being ruined because of that. But there are also hints throughout the poems that it isn't all one sided that Hughes probably did some wrong as well like in The Minotaur where he was 20minutes late he might of been having an affair with another woman and that is what caused Plath to chuck a spaz attack.

You have to remember that you're not really supposed to be JUDGING them, but coming to a conclusion that isn't biased or 'taking sides'. You can say Plath is a spaz, but just don't actually SAY it.

allyj104

HSC
You have to remember that you're not really supposed to be JUDGING them, but coming to a conclusion that isn't biased or 'taking sides'. You can say Plath is a spaz, but just don't actually SAY it.
That's my main problem throughout english. I end up adjusting th topics of my essays into a form so I can say pretty much "Plath is a spaz" because otherwise I can't get anywhere - I need a personal interest in a topic to write well, and frankly this module doesn't do it for me.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
That's my main problem throughout english. I end up adjusting th topics of my essays into a form so I can say pretty much "Plath is a spaz" because otherwise I can't get anywhere - I need a personal interest in a topic to write well, and frankly this module doesn't do it for me.
Yeah, that's why you should choose ort's that you're interested in.

Btw, for this module does our primary focus stay on Ted Hughes' poetry like for belonging it is primarily on our prescribed text? Or do we discuss them evenly?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I think they're supposed to be studied in conjunction with each other, equally. After all, you're trying to provide a balanced argument. Except none of Plath's poems are 'prescribed' as Birthday Letters is. So I don't really know...!

joannacopley

HSC
Can somebody please post me the actual Ted Hughes Poem: Fulbright scholars,
Our teacher ordered the book agesd ago and it hasn't come! and the only one we can find on the internet isn't a full version! And we also need: Red, and The shot. Please help!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Can somebody please post me the actual Ted Hughes Poem: Fulbright scholars,
Our teacher ordered the book agesd ago and it hasn't come! and the only one we can find on the internet isn't a full version! And we also need: Red, and The shot. Please help!
Where was it, in the Strand? A display
Of news items, in photographs.
For some reason I noticed it.
A picture of that year's intake
Of Fulbright Scholars. Just arriving -
Or arrived. Or some of them.
Were you among them? I studied it.
Not too minutely, wondering
Which of them I might meet.
I remember that thought. Not
Your face. No doubt I scanned particularly
The girls. Maybe I noticed you.
Maybe I weighed you up, feeling unlikely.
Noted your long hair, loose waves -
Your Veronica Lake bang. Not what it hid.
It would appear blond. And your grin.
Your exaggerated American
Grin for the cameras, the judges, the strangers, the frighteners.
Then I forgot. Yet I remember
The picture : the Fulbright Scholars.
With their luggage? It seems unlikely.
Could they have come as a team? That's as I remember.
From a stall near Charing Cross Station.
It was the first fresh peach I had ever tasted.
I could hardly believe how delicious.
At twenty-five I was dumbfounded afresh
By my ignorance of the simplest things.

ellenn11

HSC
you loved this?

i'm so jealous of that. my english teacher is a monster, and she doesn't help us with anything.

lately we've been teaching ourselves. we turned up to class one day and we had a sub, so we spent the whole lesson making a mind map on the conflicting perspectives in ted hughes' poetry.
next lesson, she turns up half an hour late, to find that we've broken into the classroom and are making our own mind-maps on techniques
her: "this is what every teacher wants their students to do"
us: "well we wouldn't fucking be doing it if you actually taught us something once in awhile..."

how are we supposed to discuss the conflicting perspectives in essay form? i'm beginning to understand the module i just don't know how i would write about it in an exam...

thnx :)

Purpsta

HSC
I'm studying this topic atm, birthday letters and the conflicting perspectives between that and a related text. I'm using "Daddy", "The cut" "The jailer", and "whiteness, i remember by Plath.
Our assignment involves evaluating the relationship between the representation and meaning. All written in the form of a feature article.

The information i have read about here has help tremendously. But my question is:

How can I keep my article non-biased, but still be opinionated? I understand Plath's view, and understand how Hughes is protecting himself from judgment. What is my best option for working both sides into a opinionated feature article?

becandwillow

HSC
I think they're supposed to be studied in conjunction with each other, equally. After all, you're trying to provide a balanced argument. Except none of Plath's poems are 'prescribed' as Birthday Letters is. So I don't really know...!
Hi I have just completed this module myself but was a little uncertain on additional texts; whether to use ones relating to Hughes and Plaths relationship or a totally unrelated event. I was just curious as to what additional texts you yourself used?

Thanks

aisha.kellaway

HSC
I'm studying this topic atm, birthday letters and the conflicting perspectives between that and a related text. I'm using "Daddy", "The cut" "The jailer", and "whiteness, i remember by Plath.
Our assignment involves evaluating the relationship between the representation and meaning. All written in the form of a feature article.

The information i have read about here has help tremendously. But my question is:

How can I keep my article non-biased, but still be opinionated? I understand Plath's view, and understand how Hughes is protecting himself from judgment. What is my best option for working both sides into a opinionated feature article?

I think as your response is asked in the form of a feature article, then opinions should be allowed as feature articles are often categorised by the writer's view point... maybe you shuld clarify with your teachers whether you are still to remain objective and non judgemental even within this form?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)