Tax accountant/ tax lawyer (1 Viewer)

mismatch

HSC
Could someone please tell me the difference between a tax lawyer and a tax accountant?
thank you

M@C D@DDY

HSC
I would imagine that a tax lawyer would deal with the litigation side of things while a tax accountant deals primarily with numbers. Correct me if I am wrong as it is an area which I am keen to explore further.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm inclined to think one works on the side of understanding the law, whilst the other is just the person who actually does the tax schemes/returns and relies on advice given by the lawyer.

I'd imagine a cadet would be more on the accountant side of things, whereas the lawyer would be the ones who give advice when you need ask a Q.

Btw which firm are you at may I ask? EY?

turtleface

HSC
In an accounting firm, tax accountants are the client service staff and the revenue drivers. The Tax lawyers perform a role similar to inhouse counsel, except they work with staff much more closely.

In other words, Tax lawyers are basically advisors to tax accountants

One is a registered Legal practioner, the other is just an accountant. My mate is a tax lawyer.
Not necessarily, many "lawyers" are not admitted as solicitors or barristers, just like many "accountants" aren't CA/CPA etc. and many "auditors" are not registered with ASIC.
Tax accountants doing returns work usually need to be registered as a Tax agent.

Last edited:

mismatch

HSC
seremify007 said:
I'm inclined to think one works on the side of understanding the law, whilst the other is just the person who actually does the tax schemes/returns and relies on advice given by the lawyer.

I'd imagine a cadet would be more on the accountant side of things, whereas the lawyer would be the ones who give advice when you need ask a Q.

I would be commencing my cadetship with PKF soon.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
seremify007 said:

Do we consider a tax accountant to be a tax consultant? At an accounting firm we are called tax consultants. Now this may seem trivial but is there a difference between them?

I consider them the same. And in that scenario from experience I feel the distinction between a tax accountant/consultant and a tax lawyer is just a technical one.

Working in tax, those around and myself are the ones writing up the tax advice, not the lawyers. If anything they rely on what the consultants say.

However the distinction is in the writing of the advice letter. I am not entirely clear on this but I believe that a solicitor is the only person who can sign the bottom of a letter which 'tells' a client what to do. However if the letter is just advice, offering several possibilies (which is often what is done) then legally the tax accountant (being a partner) can sign off the document.

Now this is all based on what I have been told and my general understanding.

But yes of course I doubt the tax lawyer would be doing tax returns or working the numbers very much. Their work would be entirely advice in relation to following the tax legislation.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well to be honest, I don't know. I'd consider "Consultant" to be in the same league as "Accountant" because that's what we call our accountants in our firm. I'd imagine that the Tax Lawyers would be similar to the people we call if we have questions on technicalities, liability issues, risk, etc...

As mentioned already, one is more like a counsel/advisor... the other is the one who actually does the work.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
seremify007 said:
As mentioned already, one is more like a counsel/advisor... the other is the one who actually does the work.
Well if one is doing the advising...then what 'work' is left? Typing up the advice and signing it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)