• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Taming of the Shrew help (1 Viewer)

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
Please can someone give me ideas on how to appropriate Taming of the Shrew
I'm aiming to appropriate the last scene with the bet between the three men but i can't think of a good way to implement it.

I've had a range of ideas ranging from pirates, feudal japan, ancient greece and more but i can't think of anything that stands out

any ideas would be appreciated

thanks

beve

Jesus
HSC
In Year 10 we did an appropriation/comparison study on The Taming of The Shrew versus 10 Things I Hate About You.

Use that; it's too easy.

bored of sc

HSC
In my opinion (I did this in year 8 by the way) - the results of the bet (Katerina fully and unquestionably obeying Petruchio's (spelling?) commands) respresent the idea of women as 'material' services to men. They are forever obedient and work hard for their husband's for no apparent personal benefit (except the fact that the women believe their husbands will provide safety, security and most importantly undying love). However, too many times this stereotypical expectation of women becomes inequitable and grossly unfair on the woman's side. On too many occasions the unwritten moral codes people are expected to follow are broken - thus, the many different forms of abuse of women occur.

Maybe you could do something along the lines of women literally as slaves. Like with the pirate idea, have a prison-like room on a boat where a woman is kept and utilised as a product/service (think food, sex etc) for the pirate(s).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)