Taking on further study during your senior years. (1 Viewer)

ciaobella17

HSC
Hi everyone!

I'm just wondering about the idea of taking on further studies whilst in senior years. Currently I'm undertaking year 11 and doing: Adv English, Ext. 1 English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, SOR I U and legal studies. However I'm dropping Physics at the end of the year, and may be picking up Ext 2 English. I have the opportunity to undertake a cert I and or II in French outside of school via TAFE (something I've been wanting to do for ages) it would be via distance education. Does anyone have any ideas on whether it is a good idea? and whether or not it would be too much or how it would impact on the rest of my schooling?

Thanks guys!

jnney

lemon
HSC
Hey.

I took Studies of religion 2 via distance education at the beginning of the year, and I dropped it in a week. Although I had support from teachers at school, the material that was sent to me was just crappy and inaccurate. Well, that was just my experience.

You should be aware that you will need to pay for the distance education course. If you do decide to do this, work will be sent to you, and you will be required to send each section via your teacher by a certain date each week or two. Failure to meet the deadline may lead to some severe consequences (this is what I recall reading from the handout I received. You should also know that even although you are assigned to a correspondence teacher that you can communicate with via phone or email, you might wait for days for a response. This depends on your teacher. The cut is, you will have limited support unless you have a french teacher at school who is willing to give up their spare time.

The other reason why I dropped religion was because I was finding it difficult and pointless to handle 14 units. I thought I was invincible back then haha.

If you start the course then decide that you don't want to do it anymore, you get a 50% refund. Well, I did anyway.

Despite the fact that you absolutely love french, you need to seriously consider if you can take 13 or 14 units. Besides, they are already beyond halfway through the preliminary course. Think smart.

Hope you have a great night.

b33g_boss

HSC
3 people in my grade do distance education for japanese, 2 said it was horrible and gave up in the first few weeks even though they were really into japanese, (the guy who came first in jap last year just wants to quit jap.lol.)

ciaobella17

HSC
Hey.

I took Studies of religion 2 via distance education at the beginning of the year, and I dropped it in a week. Although I had support from teachers at school, the material that was sent to me was just crappy and inaccurate. Well, that was just my experience.

You should be aware that you will need to pay for the distance education course. If you do decide to do this, work will be sent to you, and you will be required to send each section via your teacher by a certain date each week or two. Failure to meet the deadline may lead to some severe consequences (this is what I recall reading from the handout I received. You should also know that even although you are assigned to a correspondence teacher that you can communicate with via phone or email, you might wait for days for a response. This depends on your teacher. The cut is, you will have limited support unless you have a french teacher at school who is willing to give up their spare time.

The other reason why I dropped religion was because I was finding it difficult and pointless to handle 14 units. I thought I was invincible back then haha.

If you start the course then decide that you don't want to do it anymore, you get a 50% refund. Well, I did anyway.

Despite the fact that you absolutely love french, you need to seriously consider if you can take 13 or 14 units. Besides, they are already beyond halfway through the preliminary course. Think smart.

Hope you have a great night.
Hey! Thank you for your advice! Just one thing though, this is COMPLETELY independent from school. So, it doesn't count towards any units or anything, I would be doing it in my spare time

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Why don't you just wait a year and take french as an elective when you get to uni? (i'm assuming from your ATAR aim that you plan to go to uni).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't induce the extra stress on myself. Wait till you finish the HSC and then pursue French.

*sigh* I wish I took French Continuers, if it was on any other line I probably would of.

jnney

lemon
HSC
No worries.

Haha, yeah i wanted to take up religion for the fun of it too, but meeting deadlines and stuff will get in the way of the subjects which you should prioritize.

You will also have face to face classes every few weeks.

These are some sacrifices you need to make for the hsc. It's up to you, try it if you like.

Just a suggestion - you can always learb a language online.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, the HSC is an intricate balance, you want to not take on as much as you normally do but not have anything outside school you know?

Like hard to know how much sport, music + part time work to do. And it varies with the work load during the year. That's why I don't want to do anything with set commitments as much (so no group competititve dancing once I'm in Yr 12), because you have a lot of school commitment already.

jnney

lemon
HSC
IKR, LoveHateSchool. It's just your ability to manage time. I mean, as sad as it is, I've dropped all my co-curricular activities. I did a TON - and I mean: dancing, singing, film studies, guitar, piano, sports..........life's gud. Lol. At first I was a little disappointed, but I felt as if a huge weight was lifted off me. I realised I was able to focus entirely on my hsc. But that's just me. Some people are masters at time management, and are able to fit in a lot of sports etc. It's just dependent on yourself. But now I've become a complete turtle I'm going to go back to swimming. :D

muzeikchun852

HSC
I'm doing both Japanese Continuers and Extension via distance education - it's hard work. i have to work on my Japanese course work for every single free i have in year 11, or else i will need to make it up on the weekend. it also depends on how passionate are you to this subject. i chosen Japanese simply i was good at it in year 9 and 10, plus i went through the course briefly and realised you dont really need to study for exams, so i just take that 2units stress of memorising pages of information.

in terms of submitting work late, i had tried once as that particular unit of work was meant to be handed in 6 weeks before and i was fine. but i know a person who's doing the same course but he got a N-award for being late for handing in his work 3 weeks late. it depends on the teacher you get:)

ps. does the course cert I and or II in French outside the HSC system? so does it mean it doesnt count for 2unit? if so, why bother? you can take French after high school in your own pace without the stress of HSC. trust me - you get heaps stress once you realise you're in year 12.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Drongonski, it happened to be on the line with the subject I wanted to do the most, so that's what I meant. (It's just a longing feeling that I should have done another sub because I'm hating one atm, even though logistically impossible due to the lines. I'm sure the feeling will pass haha)

Jnney, I gave up some extracurriculars because I was sick of being so busy! But I still do 14 hours of dancing a week :p My results are good in Prelim, but I'm giving some more up in HSC because I don't want to be stressed. Okay, less stressed, I'll get stressed anyway.

ciaobella17

HSC
I'm doing both Japanese Continuers and Extension via distance education - it's hard work. i have to work on my Japanese course work for every single free i have in year 11, or else i will need to make it up on the weekend. it also depends on how passionate are you to this subject. i chosen Japanese simply i was good at it in year 9 and 10, plus i went through the course briefly and realised you dont really need to study for exams, so i just take that 2units stress of memorising pages of information.

in terms of submitting work late, i had tried once as that particular unit of work was meant to be handed in 6 weeks before and i was fine. but i know a person who's doing the same course but he got a N-award for being late for handing in his work 3 weeks late. it depends on the teacher you get:)

ps. does the course cert I and or II in French outside the HSC system? so does it mean it doesnt count for 2unit? if so, why bother? you can take French after high school in your own pace without the stress of HSC. trust me - you get heaps stress once you realise you're in year 12.
Yeah, it's outside of the HSC. It has nothing to do with my HSC or school work, it would be an extra thing..

Thank you!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Haha yeah I used to do more dancing, violin and speech and drama :p I'm happy I dropped violin and I still get to do something vaguely related to drama in school now, debating (state semi finals w00t w00t) So it felt like I dropped lots (only because I dropped one of the more stressful aspect of dancing). I am one of those people that would be so bored if I did nothing after school. It's hard to drop back dancing because it's one of those things that it's quicker to deteriorate without consistent input. But I do occasionally take some dancing off around busiest school times to do some extra study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)