• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE: Unites States & China....? (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
What are you thoughts about Taiwan's Independence?

China's need to unify China, and United States' relationship with Taiwan, it's a tad scary don't you think?

The US withdrawing arms supply to Taiwan is slight SLIGHTLY reassuring but.... i dunno...

Just a place to express your thoughts...

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
And considering that Taiwan is such a popular tourist destination. Pfft, you were a fool to have made such a comparison. Like Taiwan was ever bombed by the japs, ha! and I... oh wait.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
Argonaut said:
Hmmm, a small isalnd nation-state caught between the world's largest air force and the world's most aggressive country. Sucks to be them.

America has no right to intervene in global affairs. Let regions sort out their own problems, because if America keeps sticking it's nose in other people's business, sooner or later it's going to get hit, and then the Americans wonder why they got hit.

But from China's point-of-view, keeping Taiwan would probably be about unity. If they let Taiwan be independent, other regions, such as Tibet and a few of the more populated provinces will want to be independent too. It's like the Beslan school seige. If Russia said yes, Chechnya could be independent, but then all these other provinces would want to be too. Some of the regions in China and Russia have vast deposits of natural rsources, and could function on their own without the need of Beijing or Moscow.
another fan of russia and chechnya.... its all the communist states trying to keep the communist pipe dream alive.. thats all......

actually russia has no natural resources, the soviets sent all these people from chechnya to other states to farm these minerals and now they have nothing, its all about keeping the dream of the soviet union alive..... only a few russian states want to join chechnya, mainly because they are not russian orthodox, but muslim... religion is an important factor....

taiwan, or chinese taipei (as china calls them) is a growing finacial state, why wouldnt china want a hand on its money.....

communism sucks

is a roflcopter
HSC
there is no chance for taiwan to be independent
i think china would rather get nuked by US than let that happen

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Newbie said:
i think china would rather get nuked by US than let that happen
That's more my worry than anything.

Can you say World War III?

dave_119

Banned
HSC
they will gain independence eventually, not in our lifetime i dont think... their best chance is if there next president comes from taiwan, which wont happen

Z

zhouyiian

no way Taiwan can get independence. Chinese tradition ALWAYS places heavy emphasis on unity. The Chinese communist leaders know they are going to get overthrew if they take no action against Taiwan's official declaration of independence. They are going to utilise all their resources to occupy Taiwan.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Taiwan will NEVER be independent. It has always been, and forever will be a province of China, and that 1% of separatist scum who support "Taiwan Independence" had better realise that soon.

It's like Tasmania trying to declare independence from Australia. Some of the locals think they should be an independent country, but it'll never happen, because the idea that they are independent from the rest of Australia is ludicrous.

Z

zhouyiian

Argonaut said:
And Russia is no longer communist - China is the only successful communist state.
Strictly speaking China is not a communist state. It is more likely to be an authoritarian state with capitalist economy.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's a Chinese state, first and foremost. Fact is that not even our Chairman Mao could rid our society of Confucian tradition.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
Argonaut said:
And Russia is no longer communist - China is the only successful communist state.
i never realised russia wasn't a communist country anyone... i always wondered where the ukraine, georgia came from....

im saying russia needs chechnya to show the world that they're not falling apart

dave_119

Banned
HSC
all i was saying that chechnya has no resources for russia, considering they bombed the shit out of it

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's not about resources - it's about maintaining Social stability.

If Taiwan Province were to declare itself independent, then Chinese people all over the world would protest. It would cause civil unrest not only in the Motherland, but considering the large Chinese population pretty much anywhere - all over the world. I certainly know I'll be marching in protest against it if anything ever happens. While the Chinese Government would be right to be concerned about maintaining social order, I think the rest of the world should be more wary of their Own Chinese populations.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Argonaut said:
That's what I've been saying as well. Russia needs Chechnya or they'll collapse. Again.
same with indonesia- first east timor then aceh and then west papua-
they need an iron fist to keep the country together
-----------------------------
The US should stop meddling with china's affairs, the cold war ended remember?

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
dave_119 said:
all i was saying that chechnya has no resources for russia, considering they bombed the shit out of it
what r u talkin about- the caucouses region is rich in oil and i think iron
in near by countries- ( i think gorgia and ajerbaijan) the maafia have taken over much of the government with their oil and drugs cartell. lots of money!

chechnya has been at war or at least tensions for id say over 150 years or since the time of the ottoman empire. i know they were at war in the mid-1800
and during WW2 the caucous region was being cleansed by communists. Hitler tried to use this by sending them supplies and help in exchange for volunteers to go to moscow

dave_119

Banned
HSC
i think you no very little.....

Forget oil, forget the mafiya, forget global strategy, forget islamic fundamentalists, forget all that strategic Trans Caucasian gobbledy gook. The war (s) in Chechnya are about Russia trying to hold on to the frayed tatters of their Soviet pipedream. Chechnya is just one of a cluster of tiny southern republics that don't want to be under the skirts of Mother Russia.

War has always been the way to keep Russians complaining about something other than the corrupt government. A bear looks pretty docile and weak when its hibernating so its better if it looks tough and pissed. It rears up and makes those nasty teeth. It used to growl at America but we kicked its teeth in. Then they growled at Afghanistan but it stepped on a trap. And now they are growling at Chechnya. But that growl doesn't have teeth or brains anymore. At press time it remains to be seen how bad a mauling the bear will get from the wolf packs. For now the Russians military contents itself with a sound and light killing show while hiding its true losses.

It took a while (four months) for Yeltsin backers to figure out that Putin needed something more than his lack of charisma to get elected. So voila. Nasty apartment bombings (engineering by the Putin's buds at the FSB), attacks on Dagestani villages and Basayev and his volunteers come running. So its Wag the Wolf: The Ultimate Election Blockbuster! Mug the Media: The Ultimate Horror Story! Both films are now playing in Chechnya. Ex-spy Putin took a page from ex-spy Bush and ex-caught-in-the-bush Clinton to create a media-blind election event. Smash the terrorists! (bomb the old people), Win the war! (lock up the journos), Conquer Chechnya! (stay out of the towns), War without Casualties! (burn them in piles) and so on.

For now, Chechnya is a nice place if you sell Grad Rockets and have one of those 50's era basements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)