Switching degrees (1 Viewer)

LandCo

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, Im currently studying computer engineering and going to switch to computer science next semester.
I currently do phys1121 as a core subject.
If i were to drop it now (since its useless in compsci); will it affect my wam (as in a 0)?

Cheers.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I know, it won't affect your WAM if you drop now. However it will be counted towards your academic standing of this semester.

https://student.unsw.edu.au/wam

Grade-only results not included in calculating WAM are:

SY - Satisfactory
XE - Student undertaking an Exchange program
NA - Not Assessed
RS - Research Satisfactory
AS - Audited Course
NF - Course discontinued without failure
NC - Not Completed
RD - Result Deferred
EC - Enrolment Continuing
AW - Academic Withdrawal
PW - Permitted Withdrawal

Last edited:

LandCo

HSC
N/A
So the courses i'm currently studying are:
comp1917
math1131
engg1000
phys1121

Say I pass comp, pass/credit math and D/HD for engg1000 and have AW for phys1121, would taht put me in a bad postion for my 'academic standing'?

D94

HSC
N/A
https://student.unsw.edu.au/late-enrolment
Late Drop (Deadline to drop a course with financial liability and with academic penalty)
This option is only available for dropping courses attempted from 1 December 2014.

After the deadline to drop a course without academic penalty and before the last day of the teaching period

If you drop a course within this period:

- You will be financially liable for this course.
- The course will appear on your academic transcript with a grade of AW (academic withdrawal).
- The course will not be included in the calculation of your WAM.
- The course will be included in the calculation of your academic standing, as units of credit attempted but not passed.

For your academic standing: https://student.unsw.edu.au/academic-standing-undergrad

It doesn't matter what your marks are, it just matters that you have attempted a course and whether or not you have passed it. For semester 1, you would fall under: Satisfactory progress (more than 6 UOC attempted & more than 50% passed), with Good standing for the previous semester, meaning Good standing for semester 1.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
For what it's worth unless you're really struggling, you might as well finish the course. You only need Credit WAM to transfer into compsci and if you do the phys past papers it's not that hard to get a credit.

LandCo

HSC
N/A
For what it's worth unless you're really struggling, you might as well finish the course. You only need Credit WAM to transfer into compsci and if you do the phys past papers it's not that hard to get a credit.
I have another offer from UAC for comp sci and I need to focus on 1917... Like a lot...
So yeah, im going to drop physics after my lab this week so I dont completely abandon my lab partner
:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)