Swine Virus (1 Viewer)

Guesss

HSC
lol i cbf reading all the posts all i have to say is omgosh its like 1,300+ cases in Australia!

My skool have said that anyone going to Melbourne or overseas isnt welcome at skool until they have been quarantined!

lol ooh and my local medical centre has ran out of swabs for testing flus :( ! lol um yeh!

izzy88

HSC
all i have to say is omgosh its like 1,300+ cases in Australia!
which is a lot less than the normal flu. death rate is also a lot lower than the normal flu (and zilch in australia so far) i'm still not sure what all the fuss is about (except the whole 'it has the potential' to turn bad- surely a lot of virus' have the 'potential' to turn bad). i just think there's a bit of an over-reaction at the moment.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
lol i cbf reading all the posts all i have to say is omgosh its like 1,300+ cases in Australia!

My skool have said that anyone going to Melbourne or overseas isnt welcome at skool until they have been quarantined!

lol ooh and my local medical centre has ran out of swabs for testing flus :( ! lol um yeh!
:rolleyes: Based on official figures, there are more people living in Australia with HIV then there are with Swine Flu.

nisseltaria

HSC
which is a lot less than the normal flu. death rate is also a lot lower than the normal flu (and zilch in australia so far) i'm still not sure what all the fuss is about (except the whole 'it has the potential' to turn bad- surely a lot of virus' have the 'potential' to turn bad). i just think there's a bit of an over-reaction at the moment.
It already is bad. The estimated death rate of the first wave is 0.4%. This includes figures from the U.S.A., before you claim this is because of Mexico being a "filthy hellhole" or some such. The rate for seasonal flu is less than 0.05%. The presumed mass of missed cases is not believed to indicate a lower rate than this as there are several indications that severe infections/deaths are or have been missed or dismissed as seasonal strain without testing. You will see why if you compare the age profile of flu-related pneumonia hospitalisations this past season (before the novel strain was noticed) and the previous season (there is anecdotal evidence of a total increase of such hospitalisations in U.S. hospitals, but no figures yet).

Claiming that this flu isn't serious because most victims have other health problems, either because sick people are somehow less valid victims or because you assume they are not economically productive, is disingenuous. Most of the health problems associated with increased severity/lethality of H1N1 infection are chronic and do not prevent sufferers from participating fully in the economy. And, as two of the big risk factors are obesity and asthma, a rather large section of the population falls into the "increased risk" group.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It already is bad. The estimated death rate of the first wave is 0.4%. This includes figures from the U.S.A., before you claim this is because of Mexico being a "filthy hellhole" or some such. The rate for seasonal flu is less than 0.05%. The presumed mass of missed cases is not believed to indicate a lower rate than this as there are several indications that severe infections/deaths are or have been missed or dismissed as seasonal strain without testing.
Source?

izzy88

HSC
Swine flu measures scaled back as infection fears diminish

Mark Metherell June 18, 2009
THE Federal Government is reducing measures to check the spread of swine flu, releasing estimates showing the disease to be much more infectious but significantly less likely to require hospital admission than ordinary seasonal flu.
Without public health measures, up to four times as many Australians could be infected with swine flu compared with the infection rate for ordinary seasonal flu.
But the estimates prepared for the Government show that the hospital admission and likely death rate is a fraction of that suffered by Australians with seasonal flu, which claims 1000 to 2000 lives every year.
There have yet to be any deaths from swine flu in Australia.
There were 2024 swine flu cases here by late yesterday, with nine people in hospital, three of them in intensive care. The Commonwealth Chief Medical Officer, Jim Bishop, said it might be that the arrival of swine flu had led to an easier flu season in Australia this year.
Because of the mitigation measures, no more deaths from swine flu than from seasonal flu were expected.
"We hope we will do better than seasonal flu. We do not know …whether H1N1 09 [swine flu] will replace seasonal flu, but if it does, it will make the management of the disease easier to treat," Professor Bishop said.
The Health Minister, Nicola Roxon, announced yesterday that Australia would move to new flu alert arrangements, scrapping measures including widespread school closures and thermal screening at international airports.
The Government is also relaxing quarantine provisions and tightening distribution of antiviral medicines such as Tamiflu. These would be available from the national stockpiles for those people with moderate or severe disease or with vulnerable conditions.
But Ms Roxon said it was not appropriate to give antivirals to healthy relatives.
Measures will focus on early treatment of vulnerable people such as pregnant women and those with chronic diseases such as asthma and heart disease.
The new regime, officially called "pandemic phase protect", will begin first in South Australia and Western Australia within days and later in other states. NSW yesterday had 313 recorded cases, compared with Victoria's 1210.
Ms Roxon said the new phase recognised that swine flu was not as severe as originally envisaged when the health management plan for pandemic influenza was written last year.
Swine flu measures scaled back as infection fears diminish

well the government doesn't think its too bad anymore... :)

blerkles

HSC
N/A
But now someone is dead. 26 year old? Let's see how the media plays this one...

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
You will probably find he had a bad immune system.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Am I the only one that sees why the man died?
Melbourne has plenty more swine flu victims than the rest of Australia combined.
Yet someone in Adelaide died.
Adelaide is a shithole

Guesss

HSC
which is a lot less than the normal flu. death rate is also a lot lower than the normal flu (and zilch in australia
Yeh but now its like 4 deaths as a result of Swine Flu in AUstralia isnt it?? Like i noe. its not a significant figure yet, but this could be just the beginning God onli noe.s how long it'll take to creat a vaccine!

[/quote](except the whole 'it has the potential' to turn bad- surely a lot of virus' have the 'potential' to turn bad) [/quote]
^^Now that i'd have to agree wif !

:)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeh but now its like 4 deaths as a result of Swine Flu in AUstralia isnt it?? Like i noe. its not a significant figure yet, but this could be just the beginning God onli noe.s how long it'll take to creat a vaccine!

(except the whole 'it has the potential' to turn bad- surely a lot of virus' have the 'potential' to turn bad)
^^Now that i'd have to agree wif !

:)
So far the only people who have died from the flu in Australia, are the same people who are generally vulnerable to the normal flu strain. I.e. the elderly and the very sick.

There already are vaccines being formulated, Novartis is one company that has produced one. They just have to meet stringent WHO standards before being released to the public.

P.s. why do you post like a retard?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)