"surrounding yourself with smart people makes you smarter." (1 Viewer)

monesh

HSC
they don't make you feel smarter...they make you feel dumb :|

verdades

HSC
monesh said:
they don't make you feel smarter...they make you feel dumb :|
Or, they raise your competitive spirit, thus make you work, thus making you smarter.
Though it's usually a fair combination of both.

The more academic a year as a general, the higher the marks will be at the top end, because of that competition, so yes, in the end.

HSC
I don't necessarily think that if you hang around smart people you will become smart, as such.

I prefer the statement: the persons who you surround yourself shape the person who you become. If you are in a group with all 'A' students, and you don't get quite that high you may strive to raise your mark from a 'B' to an 'A' but that does not mean your intellect as such will increase. It goes the opposite way aswell. If an 'A' student is in a group with 'D' students, then the 'A' student may not get stupider, they may just not be motivated to work as hard.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
you might increase your vocabulary so you might develop an appearance of intelligence,

shakky15

HSC
i hang around with a particularly 'intellectual' person who uses verbose language all the time... i think my vocab has definately improved as a result.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Yes: but only in terms of oyur attitude to work. Being surrounded by hard workers would likely make you less lazy than hanging around bongheads.

No: If youre a stubborn bastard who doesn't give a shit about who thinks what about you. Such as myself.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
It may. You could be encouraged by those surrounding you to study smarter. You could get tips and have uhh... intellectually engaging conversations? The person I sat next to in Science last year was smart but distracting. We always drew pictures lol, and played scattergories. She ended up getting really good and I ended up okay... So I don't know?

xV1P3R

HSC
It may. You could be encouraged by those surrounding you to study smarter. You could get tips and have uhh... intellectually engaging conversations? The person I sat next to in Science last year was smart but distracting. We always drew pictures lol, and played scattergories. She ended up getting really good and I ended up okay... So I don't know?
Haha yeah, sitting next to smart people who don't do any work in class isn't the greatest idea. You muck around in class with them, but come exam time, they go zooom and leave you behind. :spzz:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)