"surrounding yourself with smart people makes you smarter." (1 Viewer)

HSC
no. you're not going to absorb the intelligence of someone else just by hanging around with them. plus, there are different types of smart - reads a lot / heaps of study smart, good memory smart, etc

hanging around with people who study a lot and having their influence rub off on you might (even then, it may improve your marks/knowledge but may not necessarily make you smarter). researching/attempting to comprehend the complex issues smart people talk about might.

plus, different types of intelligence can also be valuable i.e. you may not be 'smart' per say but you may be good with people and have a sort of emotional intelligence. so the question is really open to interpretation...

omniscience

HSC
N/A
Rebekkie said:
selective schools maybe suggest yes?
Um, isn't it just that Selective Schools generally contain students with higher level of intelligence, potential and academic capacity in comparison to other schools from the beginning?

HSC
N/A
i think sitting next to smart people in class will encourage u to work harder, and see things from their point of view. i find this is the case when i sit next to smart people. when i sit next to dumber people i tend to not work as hard

undalay

HSC
Surrounding you with people who study will make you study.

If you're smart and get excellent marks without even trying, then it's not really going to rub off.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
surounding urself with smart people means you feel more inclined to work.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
surrounding yourself with smart people makes you depressed haha

saygoodbye

HSC
u-borat said:
surounding urself with smart people means you feel more inclined to work.
Yeah, because smart people study and go out less and if you follow their habits then i suppose you eventually become smarter because you do the work in school and you study.

and dudeeeeee... "u-borat" you do 3u latin?!?!?! your school must be a very advantaged school!

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Nah the people that follow me arounf havent gotton any smarter lol.

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
wrong_turn said:
surrounding yourself with smart people makes you depressed haha
It does indeed.. because u feel lower than them because they are smarter than you..

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Rebekkie said:
selective schools maybe suggest yes?
not so much making one smarter, just supporting one's academic potential through a collective understanding and direction

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
studentcheese said:
Smart people lower my self esteem :(
haha yeah, coming on here sometimes lowers my confidence. so many psycho study freaks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)