Summer session queries (1 Viewer)

aethr

HSC
Hey,

Has anyone here done any summer session courses at uts? If so, could you give me a rough idea of what it was like.

I.e.
What was the workload like?
How many weeks did the session go for?

Also I've heard from a friend that you have to pay for your summer session course up front (no hecs) is this true?

Thanks for your time.

yoshimanu

Our Deepest Fear...
HSC
I have done one summer session... i guess ultimately the difficulty and the workload depends on the subject, however i did a subject I had failed in the previous semester(regretably) so i guess i can tell you the difference.

1. 2 month period, 2 lectures per week
2. no midsem compared to normal sem, there was an assignment as normal sem
3. 2 month compared to 6 month to learn and digest the material... but i guess the shorter time and the fact your doing one subject will propel you to work harder on it. i personally thought it would have been hard for someone who hasnt done it before.. compared to myself who is revisiting old material.

The subject was Investment Analysis... and i did hecs... since i didnt get any notice of late payments or fines from uts. Hope that helps!
Cheers

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
I did a mathematics subject in summer.

Mine went for 3 weeks only.

Monday - 3hrs
Wednesday - 3hrs
Friday - 3hrs

1 week break, and then final exam.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
The workload really depends on the subject you are doing.

I did taxation law in summer, which was a 2 month, 2 lecture a week program. All assessments were exactly the same as if you did it in autumn or spring. I just found it hard to get into the routine of studying in summer though- everyone else was on holidays, and you were stuck doing classes during the week.

I heard a subject named Financial Statement Analysis had a 6 day program, 7 hrs each day. Like I said, it really depends on the subject and how heavy your workload is.

layzeehbum

HSC
i'm thinking of doing summer as well... probably taking cost management system and macroecon: theory n app. do u guys think its worth it ? since im not going anywhere this summer...

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
The workload really depends on the subject you are doing.

I did taxation law in summer, which was a 2 month, 2 lecture a week program. All assessments were exactly the same as if you did it in autumn or spring. I just found it hard to get into the routine of studying in summer though- everyone else was on holidays, and you were stuck doing classes during the week.

I heard a subject named Financial Statement Analysis had a 6 day program, 7 hrs each day. Like I said, it really depends on the subject and how heavy your workload is.
I also did Tax Law during summer with Jim or James someone? Older fella, very sarcastic, lol.. I dont think the assessments were exactly the same though, as I have a friend who is doing it this semester and she had a midsemester, I didnt iirc. I just had a couple of in class tests.

I am looking into doing Business Analysis this summer, 6 days, 2 x3hr sessions per day

Then 1 more semester until graduation... for the 3rd time... Then off to UNSW

i'm thinking of doing summer as well... probably taking cost management system and macroecon: theory n app. do u guys think its worth it ? since im not going anywhere this summer...

2 subjects is hard to do, i tried it last semester, but I had to drop one, it was just a bit too intense for me (especially as I was newly married, damn women..)

But if you have the time, it could be the perfect opportunity.

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I also did Tax Law during summer with Jim or James someone? Older fella, very sarcastic, lol.. I dont think the assessments were exactly the same though, as I have a friend who is doing it this semester and she had a midsemester, I didnt iirc. I just had a couple of in class tests.
John. I also had the class tests, group presentation, and final exam.

I believe the change in assessments for tax law was due to the change in subject coordinator. Assessments should be similar, if not the same as those given in autumn and spring.

layzeehbum

HSC
Ok I enrolled in CMS. IS it a hard subject? And anyone did it before during summer? I wanna know wats the assessments are like. And do we still use textbooks during summer O_O???

krayzie_

HSC
Ok I enrolled in CMS. IS it a hard subject? And anyone did it before during summer? I wanna know wats the assessments are like. And do we still use textbooks during summer O_O???
I've heard nightmare stories about that subject.

[edit] Do you guys reckon CMS and Business Law and Ethics during summer is too much? I'm thinking about adding it on to my biz law n ethics atm, but don't want to end up failing both of them. lol, cms = 7 hour lectures yuck

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
layzeehbum - CMS is an ok subject. If you remembered back in accounting for business or accounting transactions and business decisions, it is the manufacturing accounting (cookie in the cookie jar analogy by Jon Tyler).
It is quite maths based, and very practical. From what I remember, the assessments were a mid semester (40%) and final exam (60%). Yes, textbooks are still used.

Honestly it isn't the hardest subject you will encounter - i thought the hardest out of the accounting major subjects were assurance services and audit, and management decisions and control.

krayzie_: You should be able to handle CMS and BLE together. Although I haven't looked at the timetable yet (watch out for possible clashes). Both subjects aren't that hard - just make sure you keep up with the homework and readings (for BLE).

7hrs of CMS lectures means that there will only be like 6 days of those 7hr days. Seems quite quick, but remember a semester of work is covered on those days.

krayzie_

HSC
layzeehbum - CMS is an ok subject. If you remembered back in accounting for business or accounting transactions and business decisions, it is the manufacturing accounting (cookie in the cookie jar analogy by Jon Tyler).
It is quite maths based, and very practical. From what I remember, the assessments were a mid semester (40%) and final exam (60%). Yes, textbooks are still used.

Honestly it isn't the hardest subject you will encounter - i thought the hardest out of the accounting major subjects were assurance services and audit, and management decisions and control.

krayzie_: You should be able to handle CMS and BLE together. Although I haven't looked at the timetable yet (watch out for possible clashes). Both subjects aren't that hard - just make sure you keep up with the homework and readings (for BLE).

7hrs of CMS lectures means that there will only be like 6 days of those 7hr days. Seems quite quick, but remember a semester of work is covered on those days.
I've checked the timetable and there is no tutorials listed for CMS! I don't know what to do, since I haven't done a single business subject since spring 2008 due to transfers n transfers back. My memory of accounting 1 + 2 isn't that great. Do they usually revise the basics before they jump into it? Or will they just jump straight into the hardcore stuff.

Yeah thats what abit worried about if I can take in that much lectures in a few days lol

layzeehbum

HSC
Alright. CMS is actually 8 effing hours. I dunno how I'm going 2 survive that!
And yeah.. no tutes at all. and it goes on for a month I think. We're only going 2 5 lectures in that period.

SIGH.

What a great chage to my summer ==

maka

HSC
I am doing Legal Skills.

It is 7 days.

5 days at 3 hrs and 2 days at 1.5 hours.

I think it helps doing a subject or two in Summer to reduce your workload the following semesters.

rormonor

HSC
<3 the no tutorials for CMS. But would that make the subject any harder without the tuts?
I did CMS In Autumn semester this year and found the tutes to be quite useful for passing the subject. However they did give us a book of readings of sorts -- just all these 'AP' questions, and the exam is pretty much those questions with a few extra twists in them. If you get Greg as your lecturer you'll be fine though; he really knows his stuff!

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Alright. CMS is actually 8 effing hours. I dunno how I'm going 2 survive that!
And yeah.. no tutes at all. and it goes on for a month I think. We're only going 2 5 lectures in that period.

SIGH.

What a great chage to my summer ==
I don't know how you are going to either. I'm lucky that tax was just 2x3hr lectures each week. I couldn't imagine sitting in a lecture hall for 8hrs.

<3 the no tutorials for CMS. But would that make the subject any harder without the tuts?
I think it will be sessions rather than lectures. You will sit in a small room with around 20 people and will do lectures and tutes.

I think it helps doing a subject or two in Summer to reduce your workload the following semesters.
Good point. I was doing 18cps in this last semester of mine. Definately noticed the lighter load.

I did CMS In Autumn semester this year and found the tutes to be quite useful for passing the subject. However they did give us a book of readings of sorts -- just all these 'AP' questions, and the exam is pretty much those questions with a few extra twists in them. If you get Greg as your lecturer you'll be fine though; he really knows his stuff!
Yeah, it should be the same for summer. I don't see them changing the tute questions any time soon.

My only comment about Greg as a lecturer is he has messy writing. 1hr CMS lecture go pretty quick though.

krayzie_

HSC
Ah, so we'll get a book with "AP" questions which is similar to the exam questions? Sounds alright.

I'm only enrolled in one subject Bus Law & Ethics and for some reason I can't enroll into CMS and I've met the requisite! Had to submit an e request.

Does anyone know when the summer school finals generally start and end at? Last class date for Bus Law is the 18th or something so meh? I think someone said early feb, cna anyone confirm this or does it vary

maka

HSC
If your subject has a final exam, it is between 1-5 Feb from memory

maka

HSC
Finish dates depend upon the assessment of each unit.

Assuming the unit you are completing has a final exam that the lecturer has decided will be centrally conducted (ie proper exam controlled by uni and not an in class final), you will finish between 1-5 Feb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)