Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

Hardenne

HSC
There is no way that there are firms rejecting everyone. If they did not plan on taking clerks, why would they advertise? It is far more likely that they have just rejected you and the other people on the forum.
well dohh, i was slightly exagerrating obviously. My point was that they have definitely cut down their intake significantly (and not mentioning this in their happy presentations) with many people who would've gotten interviews a couple of years back failing to get anything this year.

And david, not sure why people would lie and say they got rejected for, people usually lie about things to look good not bad,

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Hey I got an interview at HDY
I was in a law society council meeting
another councillor comes in and said he got an interview
i checked my email on my phone
it made my day!
:D

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
And yes I'm just a HSCer hope you dont me chiming in but I got a cadetship with Big4 accounting firm and am deciding between that and comm/law. I'm wondering if you dont get a summer clerkship does that mean you're really unlikely to work for a top tier firm once you graduate? Because I dont know if I should do law and risk not getting a decent job afterward or just stick with the safer option which is the cad[e]tship.
does anybody else find this post disturbing?

pearling, you are basing your degree choices on the perceived ability of that degree (looking four-five years into the future) to find a "decent job afterward".

ultimately, you are trying to compare apples and oranges. top tier law firms do certain types of law. big 4 accounting firms do big corporate accounting and advisory work. they are poles apart.

even if "you're really unlikely to work for a top tier firm once you graduate", that does not necessarily mean you will "risk not getting a decent job afterward".

many non-top tier law graduates go into other interesting, rewarding careers. as do many non-big 4 accounting graduates. there is life outside the big 6 law firms and the big 4 accounting firms.

on a related note: you're doing the HSC. that means you have no fucking idea what you want to do. i recommend you do what you LIKE. be brave. start something interesting. if it's not what you want, try something else. you have the advantage of youth, naivete and enthusiasm. you can afford to take your time. stop being such a typical asian.

finally, if you are 'scared' of a little competition, i suggest you wake up and smell the coffee. this is the way of the world.

HSC
N/A
Is anyone tossing up between laws firm & accounting firms?

I have some big4 interviews scheduled already (so far only 1 clerkship interview) and they make their offers during September. I think acceptance has to be made well before 9th October when law firms make their offers.

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
Is anyone tossing up between laws firm & accounting firms?

I have some big4 interviews scheduled already (so far only 1 clerkship interview) and they make their offers during September. I think acceptance has to be made well before 9th October when law firms make their offers.
I asked my friend who went through all this last year the same question. He told me that you should accept the offer from the Big4, and then see if you receive an offer for law firms. if you do, you just call up the Big4 and make up any random excuse.

This is what I've been told. In terms of how ethically correct this is, I withhold judgment.

Hardenne

HSC
well you can always accept the accounting firm first and then go to law if you get an offer, im pretty sure that you're allowed to go back on a contract, they can't really do anything. And yeah, but I reckon just wait out for some more law interviews, they will come.

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
How is everyone managing the workload this semester, balancing uni, work and clerkship stuff? Personally I'm finding it pretty tough. Especially during the time of the 1st round interviews in early Sept, as I have a lot of midsems and assignments due.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
i just withdrew from a subject haha
i always do 4 subjects
but didn't wanna do this elective subject I was doing
not what I thought it would be like
so just doing 3 now

But yeah haven't heard from any today

Re accounting firms? Ive been rejected from PWC.
still gotta hear from KPMG + Deloitte
I didnt apply to EY though

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Mallesons interview offer just came through.

Waiting now on Blakes, Allens and Minter.

dichotomy101

HSC
Did anyone apply for clerkships in Canberra? Or know if the Canberra offices send out rejections/interview invitations at the same time as the Sydney offices?

I ended up applying for a few in Canberra - thought the competition would be a bit less!

Hardenne

HSC
I dunno, you've got those ANU guys and girls down there as well, there's competition everywhere.

dichotomy101

HSC
I dunno, you've got those ANU guys and girls down there as well, there's competition everywhere.
That's true, but I find the high achieving ANU students by and large apply to Sydney firms - everyone knows the Canberra market is small time at the end of the day.

LA88

HSC
I just got Blakes, in addition to Freehills and Bakers. Missed out of Corrs and Malles.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am sick of the waiting game, still waiting on a few but getting less hopeful as the days go by. Have also applied for Deloitte and EY...will apply to KMPG tomorrow.

The story so far:
*Freehills: Rejection
*DLA Phillips Fox : Rejection
*PWC Legal - Online test invite, completed test - rejected
*Baker & McKenzie: Rejection

*Clayton Utz: Rejection
*Corrs Chambers Westgarth: Rejection
*Deacons
*DibbsBarker
*Gilbert + Tobin
*Henry Davis York: Rejection
*Maddocks
*Middletons
*Thomson Playford Cutlers
*TressCox Lawyers
*Gadens
*Jones Day
*Allens Arthur Robertson
*NSW Attorney Generals Department
*Blake Dawson
*Holding Redlich
*Johnson Winter & Slattery
*Slater and Gordon
*Harmers
*Minter Ellison
*Mallesons: Rejection
*Mills Oakley

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Rejected by Blakes at like 8.30pm. James how did Attorney Generals Dept inform you, wondering how it will be done as it was a hard copy application.

The story so far:
*Freehills: Rejection
*DLA Phillips Fox : Rejection
*PWC Legal - Online test invite, completed test - rejected
*Baker & McKenzie: Rejection

*Clayton Utz: Rejection
*Corrs Chambers Westgarth: Rejection
*Deacons
*DibbsBarker
*Gilbert + Tobin
*Henry Davis York: Rejection
*Maddocks
*Middletons
*Thomson Playford Cutlers
*TressCox Lawyers
*Gadens
*Jones Day
*Allens Arthur Robertson
*NSW Attorney Generals Department
*Blake Dawson: rejection
*Holding Redlich
*Johnson Winter & Slattery
*Slater and Gordon
*Harmers
*Minter Ellison
*Mallesons: Rejection
*Mills Oakley

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)